Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:13 PM

28 posts, read 152,620 times

Advertisements

How long did it take you to find work in your field in Seattle? Were you looking for work from out of state? Did you have to fly in for any interviews or were phone interviews enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 03:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
I've heard it takes one month for every 10K you make.

But in seattle I'd say it could take me MUCH less. I have had a very easy time finding jobs/interviews in Seattle.

I think it also depends on your personal experience/education and the industry you are looking in.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Thanks. What jobs did you have an easy time finding and what was your experience/education? Were you job hunting after you moved to Seattle or while out of state?

Old 12-28-2008, 04:12 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Hi, birdofparadise. Is there something specific we can help you with? Are you looking for a job in the Seattle area, or in Washington? CityGirl answered all your non-specific questions by saying that everything depends on your experience, education and industry.

Since City-Data is a relocation resource, and our personal experiences are specific to only those who have had those experiences, perhaps we can direct you to resources that would help you.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:33 PM

What's the legal industry like for someone with a few years of experience elsewhere?

Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
There are a great many law firms in the Seattle area, and in western Washington. Lot of IP work, if it's a position for a lawyer that you're looking for.

These two threads are chock-full of information and impressions of the local legal market -- one looking for a lateral move, one for a first job, so they should give you an interesting picture from two aspects:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ob-market.html
and
https://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...-part-2-a.html

Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
"legal indutry" - are you a lawyer? a legal assistant? What is your education?

Maybe you should use salary.com, find the job you'd like and put in a seattle zip code - it will tell you how much it pays

Then go to careerbuilder.com and see how many of those jobs pop up

Old 12-28-2008, 11:35 PM

30 posts, read 100,534 times
took me about a month to find a job although before i moved up here from vegas i saved enough money to go 6 months without a job. always good to be prepared just in case it takes longer than expected.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:26 AM

11 posts, read 50,919 times
I live in Bellevue, I start to look for a job more than a month,but I get nothing . I am a new green card holder, I think language is the main problem, next problem is experience. I worked outside USA for 10 years,but it is not experience for the USA. ( I teaching language&literature in technology school in china ,and worked for the same school office for few years ). Now I feel I can do nothing , I am going to find a labor job , but maybe I am even not good enough for a labor job. Wish someone help me to find a job, or teach me how to find a job.xie xie

Old 12-29-2008, 02:40 AM

11 posts, read 50,919 times
Maybe santaclaus will send us new year gifts soon ---- job intereview letters :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area