Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:24 PM

28 posts, read 152,596 times

Advertisements

Could someone please recommend a moving company that could move my car from the east coast to Seattle? How much would this cost? I will be shipping my car and then flying over with my few suitcases of possessions. I have no furniture. Any personal experiences to share appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 12:43 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Most moving companies can arrange a car shipment for you. There's also TnT auto shipping, which was a little cheaper than the moving company carrier.

We paid $1600 per car. That was for sedans in an open top carrier, almost door to door delivery. Its more for a heavier car or if you want them delivered in an enclosed truck. Ours didn't get scratched in the open top, but are really really dirty.

They also charge if they have to store them in Seattle if you're not there to receive them. They gave us an estimate of 7-10 days, and they came on Day 8 or 9. If you fly, obviously it should've be a problem to beat the truck here.

The car carriers can't go on small side streets, or anywhere with overhanging trees, so you might have to walk a little to get to where the truck can drop them off.

If you ship your car, they won't let you pack it up with stuff, so don't rely on being able to do that.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks. May I ask which shipping company you used for your car?

Old 12-26-2008, 01:31 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
We didn't use one of the national car shippers, but went with the shipper the local branch of our moving company had a contract with. The car shipper was just an independent contractor, owned his own truck and everything. I assume that if you call a local moving company in your area that contracts with one of the Big 5 moving companies (Allied, Grable, Mayflower, United, North American), they can give you a quote just to ship your car. Some let you do it online too.

There might be cheaper car shippers out there if you shopped around. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:39 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
For more info on this subject, there are some threads on shipping cars in the U.S. in the General Moving Issues forum of City-Data. Scroll down past the states, then past the parts of the world.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:44 PM

17 posts, read 81,500 times
Default Shipping car from east coast

You may want to try here... Dependable Auto Shippers – Your Auto Transport Company – Car Shipping Quote Online It may take longer than 10 days, but won't cost 1600 bucks either. I was going to ship a car from here in Florida to Seattle and the estimate a few months ago was around $1000.00 on an open trailer. I never did ship the car because we've yet to sell our house. If you're going to be shipping during the winter months, be aware of potential paint damage, etc if shipping on an open carrier. Now that fuel prices are lower, you may be able to get your car shipped in an enclosed carrier for a few hundred dollars more the open carrier. I shipped two cars, enclosed, from Boston, MA to Orlando, FL about for years ago for $1500.00. I used Reliable Carriers - Automobile Transport, Show Cars, car transport but I'm not sure if the make it up to the NW and if the prices have changed. You may want to google "classic car shipping" or "exotic car shipping" and get some rates. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2008, 09:24 PM

13 posts, read 74,722 times
Default DAS is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1969 View Post
You may want to try here... Dependable Auto Shippers – Your Auto Transport Company – Car Shipping Quote Online It may take longer than 10 days, but won't cost 1600 bucks either. I was going to ship a car from here in Florida to Seattle and the estimate a few months ago was around $1000.00 on an open trailer. I never did ship the car because we've yet to sell our house. If you're going to be shipping during the winter months, be aware of potential paint damage, etc if shipping on an open carrier. Now that fuel prices are lower, you may be able to get your car shipped in an enclosed carrier for a few hundred dollars more the open carrier. I shipped two cars, enclosed, from Boston, MA to Orlando, FL about for years ago for $1500.00. I used Reliable Carriers - Automobile Transport, Show Cars, car transport but I'm not sure if the make it up to the NW and if the prices have changed. You may want to google "classic car shipping" or "exotic car shipping" and get some rates. Good luck!
Had dealt with them 3 times to transfer car in last 4 yrs , DAS is good. But the last time it took them 6 weeks to move my bmw from NC to WA.

but the car came in with out a scratch. the customer service is also good.My company took car of my car rental and DAS so I was not much concerned.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:26 PM

145 posts, read 645,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofparadise View Post
Could someone please recommend a moving company that could move my car from the east coast to Seattle? How much would this cost? I will be shipping my car and then flying over with my few suitcases of possessions. I have no furniture. Any personal experiences to share appreciated.
I have not used them, so I can't realy recommened, but so far they seem like the choice i will be using.

AA-Automovers.com - 877-744-7489 - Auto Transport, car movers, car shippers vehicle transport

AA-Automovers.com - 877-744-7489 - Auto Transport, car movers, car shippers

For a possible general idea about how much it will cost you, I'm coming from Arizona and I was quoted $730. Guess yours should be at least 40% more from the east coast.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:11 PM

Did you ship your car a few days before you moved and then use a rental car to get around before you moved or did you ship your car on the same day that you moved away? Thanks for everyone's responses.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 132,063 times
i drove from NY to Seattle before , and i would do it again if i could , it is beatiful , it only took 2 1/2 days , hey it is on an idea !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area