Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use Public transportation to get to and from work at least 50% of the time
Yes, I ride the Bus, Ferry, Train, Van Pool, etc. 8 44.44%
No, I drive, walk, bike, etc. 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:33 AM

121 posts, read 536,411 times

Advertisements

Based on the discussions in a few other threads, I thought I'd post a really simple poll for everyone.

Do you use Public transportation (Bus, Ferry, Train, Van Pool) the MAJORITY of the time to get to and from work? I'll define the majority quite simply as more than 50% of the time.

The reason for the distiction, is that I know of many people who use buses occasionally, and could respond with "yes, I use public transportation"...but one bus ride a month doesn't a public transportation commuter make.

For me, I ride the bus about 10 times a year, and ride a motorcycle the rest of the time. The bus is quite convient for me, as I can walk directly to a commuter route and to my office, but unfortunately, it takes twice as long to ride the bus. With a small child at home, I'm just not willing to sacrifice any more of my time to get to and from work...the 70+ minutes a day I spend already is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 10:55 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,710,987 times
Yes - my company downtown subsidizes a bus pass, but I think one of my detests with the weather is because of taking the bus.

I'm SO TIRED of standing in a cold morning - wet morning - windy mornings, shivering waiting for a bus. Then having to repeat the whole scenario in the afternoon.

Being from Calif, and a town where 90% of people commuted, I really miss my car, I got errands done during the lunch breaks, and now I feel like I'm rushing around everywhere after work - AFTER the darn bus gets me to my park & ride.

Plus I HATE being on the buses schedule. I rush my kids, I rush myself, just trying to get everyone where they are suppose to be and drive like a maniac just to get to the bus on time. Imiss being on my OWN schedule. Driving in when I need to.

I miss having my car as a "get away" where when I'm cold I'd go in and warm up, or when I'm hot Id turn the ac on, or when I'm tired I'd have somewhere to go and close my eyes. Now I'm at the mercy of my office thermostat and no where to go on a bad day.

I'm looking forward to never taking the bus again, now if my house would just sell!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:58 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,782,219 times
I've been out of college for 10 years and have managed to get by so far without ever driving a car to work. I hope to continue that in Seattle. We'll see.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,710,987 times
PS - also if/when I move, I'll try and use my bike. I really miss biking to work. But I've tried in this weather and it's unbearable for me and I get sick in my chest each time.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:59 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,365,730 times
I've been out of college for 10 years and have managed to get by so far without ever driving a car to work. I hope to continue that in Seattle. We'll see.

People do it. It's not impossible at all, but certain neighborhoods make it more difficult. Areas where having a car isn't really a necessity include First Hill, Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, Belltown, Fremont, Ballard, the U District, the Central District, South Lake Union, and a few others, even downtown Renton ( frequent buses to Seattle and Bellevue, and shops within walking distance)

Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,602,249 times
I exclusively use the bus to commute to work, although I do have a short drive to get to the park and ride. I don't find the weather to be a problem, because more often than not, there are shelters available to provide cover if it's raining. I just voted for light rail, I am hopeful the rest of the people in this region will come around and realize that we needed a viable rail system yesterday!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:41 PM

576 posts, read 1,819,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I exclusively use the bus to commute to work, although I do have a short drive to get to the park and ride. I don't find the weather to be a problem, because more often than not, there are shelters available to provide cover if it's raining. I just voted for light rail, I am hopeful the rest of the people in this region will come around and realize that we needed a viable rail system yesterday!
No, because I don't work. But to get from Issaquah to Seattle, I almost exclusively use my car. Commuting by bus would take about three times longer than commuting by car.

And now that CityGirl mentions it, waiting out in cold rain really sucks. You don't want to sit down on the benches because the rain somehow managed to make its way onto them, and you'll have cold wet pants to sit on. In a car, you can simply turn on the heating right away, and your trip through the cold rain stops right when you reach your car.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:24 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,858,821 times
I work from home, but my husband takes the bus almost every day. Once or twice a month, I drive him.

V. =)

Old 10-20-2008, 06:18 PM

184 posts, read 552,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
PS - also if/when I move,.
For the sake of everybody on this board that can't come any sooner. When that magical day comes, you aren't going to pull a "Jenbar" and still come spilling nastiness on this forum are you? Hopefully unlike her you will be able to move on.

And as far as the question goes: I use my car only when my job requires me to fly out of SEATAC. Other than that I try to use the bus well over 50% of the time. The only exception is when I'm running late. When I do use the bus, I can convinently walk to wherever I need to when not at work including the market, bakeries, bookstores, etc.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:40 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,066,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
For the sake of everybody on this board that can't come any sooner. When that magical day comes, you aren't going to pull a "Jenbar" and still come spilling nastiness on this forum are you? Hopefully unlike her you will be able to move on.
Just because someone provides a negative critique about Seattle does not mean he or she is "spilling nastiness", however, your email to CityGirl is somewhat nasty. I am in Seattle and on this board often and I really don't care how long City Girl sticks around. Please speak for yourself and not claim to be channeling everybody else here. Thanks! PS- I am not Jennbar (despite the similar ID), I wish I were though because it's currently 78 degrees in Austin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area