Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:32 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,445,709 times

Advertisements

I'm just trying to ripen some tomatoes and peppers in the garden, which requires sun.
But absent that, fall is really my favorite time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 10:54 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,899,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I'm just trying to ripen some tomatoes and peppers in the garden, which requires sun.
Me too, Ira! This was my first gardening year in the Pacific Northwest and I experimented with growing tomatoes & peppers in two different locations. I put the same plants in the ground, in a traditional garden bed in a sunny location and also in containers on our rooftop deck. The rooftop deck crops are winning. Healthier looking plants, better productivity and faster ripening. Next year I plan to expand the container garden up on the roof. It seems to be at least 10 degrees warmer up there which the tomatoes love. The downside is that the container plants need to be watered every day. These heirloom tomatoes are so worth it though!

Lynn

Old 09-13-2008, 11:01 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,445,709 times
Supposedly this is a particularly bad year for tomatoes in the pacific NW, so bad that the Tilth garden fair canceled their annual tomato taste off. But I've got some early ripening heirlooms ( Halladay Mortgage Lifter) that seem to thrive on bad soil and neglect.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:06 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,218,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Woof, how long have you lived among the lahars? And why do you hang out on the Alaska forum? (Well for that matter, why do I?? )
Oh, the Lassen lahars were SO last year. I just didn't update. I'm out by Santa Cruz now.

I'm just a wannabe Alaskan. I could drive the Bessie Cow up there, I suppose, but I wouldn't be able to afford to heat an apartment if I got one, not the way oil prices are trending.

Oh, the autumn is also my favorite season (I like that clunky old name better than "fall"). I miss the autumns of my youth in New England, the incredible variety of colors, the smell of them there ... all the plants are in the process of huddling and hunkering down for the winter, but the leaves so alive in their dying.

It's just not the same out here on the West Coast, the fall here is more like a preliminary monsoon season.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:35 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,151,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

I'm out by Santa Cruz now.

I miss the autumns of my youth in New England, the incredible variety of colors, the smell ..... the leaves so alive in their dying.
Thanks for your geographic update -- and your exquisite poetic prose

I too have been, well, a kinda sorta wannabe Alaskan. I've visited from Glacier Bay on south, and lived very briefly in Fairbanks, and realized by doing all that I had already made that dream come true, and I didn't need to stay there, among some conditions (especially the overall politics) to which I could not resonate.

AUTUMN IN FAIRBANKS IS EXACTLY LIKE CONNECTICUT, minus the red and orange leaf color. Lots and lots of birches and aspens, so lots of gold, yellow and amber leaves. Surprised the heck out of me!! And the trees are jammed, it seemed, with three, count 'em three!, kinds of Chickadees!

The autumn of MY youth was Connecticut and New York. The smells of the earth, the growing things, the hunkering-down things, the crispness of the dry air in the nostrils -- and the crack of twigs breaking underfoot in the woods -- yes....... Autumn here in western Washington is different, much more gentle as the weather here is all the time, but a decent amount of leaf color. But I'm always surprised at the greenness of this place all year due to the conifers. Comforting somehow. I absolutely love rain, showers, drizzle, mizzle, mist, fog, the whole thing, especially the smell of the earth in rain, so I look forward to it. Then we get crocuses in January!! What a delightful place!!

Do you ever get rain in Santa Cruz? Do any leaves change color there?

Old 09-13-2008, 02:47 PM

We get more rain on average than Seattle in a year, though it's concentrated as downpours for maybe 3-4 months. I think things get greener during the fall, the grassy areas at least. The grassier hills are all yellow and brown during the summer.

I'm writing this in a small eucalyptus forest, which I think stays green all year (could be mistaken on that). A vast migration of monarch butterflies is due any moment to feed on the eucalyptus. We're at the southern end of the redwood forests also, and they're evergreen.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:26 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,075,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Thanks for your geographic update -- and your exquisite poetic prose

I too have been, well, a kinda sorta wannabe Alaskan. I've visited from Glacier Bay on south, and lived very briefly in Fairbanks, and realized by doing all that I had already made that dream come true, and I didn't need to stay there, among some conditions (especially the overall politics) to which I could not resonate.

AUTUMN IN FAIRBANKS IS EXACTLY LIKE CONNECTICUT, minus the red and orange leaf color. Lots and lots of birches and aspens, so lots of gold, yellow and amber leaves. Surprised the heck out of me!! And the trees are jammed, it seemed, with three, count 'em three!, kinds of Chickadees!

The autumn of MY youth was Connecticut and New York. The smells of the earth, the growing things, the hunkering-down things, the crispness of the dry air in the nostrils -- and the crack of twigs breaking underfoot in the woods -- yes....... Autumn here in western Washington is different, much more gentle as the weather here is all the time, but a decent amount of leaf color. But I'm always surprised at the greenness of this place all year due to the conifers. Comforting somehow. I absolutely love rain, showers, drizzle, mizzle, mist, fog, the whole thing, especially the smell of the earth in rain, so I look forward to it. Then we get crocuses in January!! What a delightful place!!

Do you ever get rain in Santa Cruz? Do any leaves change color there?
It looks like we are not quite all alone in our love for fall!

Have you ever spent time in northeastern Washington in the fall...? Birches and Aspens and Tamarack mixed in with the Ponderosa Pine are spectacular!

Even here in western Washington the further away from the city you the more vibrant the fall colors are...even the musty smells of autumn are more fragrant.

If only it was not so fleeting…

Old 09-13-2008, 04:53 PM

I was thinking of passing through Spokane to check it out on the way to Seattle, maybe I'll be in time to see that, Seattlerain.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:01 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,151,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
It looks like we are not quite all alone in our love for fall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I was thinking of passing through Spokane to check it out on the way to Seattle, maybe I'll be in time to see that, Seattlerain.
Well that makes perfect sense -- a straight line from Santa Cruz to Seattle would always include Spokane. You crack me up!!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:23 PM

Oh, I'd like to meander a bit for once, instead of going directly by interstate highways.

But I shouldn't have looked at the picture thread in the Massachusetts forum, now I've got a nostalgic hard-on for the state I was born and raised in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area