Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM

15 posts, read 72,753 times

Advertisements

o.k. here I go again for a third time.
I'm moving from sacramento to seattle. I would like to talk to other people who have moved to seattle from out of state. I would like to know if you had a job lined up first and went looking? how much money did you have saved? Do you find that there are a lot of things to do? how are the coffee shops and clubs? do they have open-mike nights or stay open longer than 1:30? (nothing like that here in sac.)
thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 02:04 PM

15 posts, read 72,753 times
Default How much money to save?

I'm moving to Seattle from Sacramento. I do not have a high-paying job. My husband will be looking for something in the construction business. all I want to know (and haven't found it yet in these discussions) is how much money should I be saving to move? How much money did it take you to move to seattle? I will be renting. I only make like 25,000 a year and I have a family. I have a job in the medical industry and am pretty confident I will have a job when I move but I'm pretty sure my company does not pay to relocate.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:27 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Nothing like that in Sac?? Where are you in Sac?

I lived in Midtown nearly 10 years, and there was always stuff to do, and a few open mike nights a week. Pick up a News & Review

I sent you a direct message to you - discussing what kind of area you were looking for...

Like if you tell me you want Roseville, I'll tell you to move to Bellevue
If you want Rancho Cordova, I'd say move to Renton
and so on.

Just message me back

Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 PM

14 posts, read 53,103 times
I, too, am moving from the Sac area to Seattle. I took my mother's advice (the last time, I'm sure) and planned ahead. There were times in which I wanted to move so quickly that I almost walked out of my job. So I spent my evenings bombarding Seattle companies via job ads in craigslist instead of having a life. But it worked! I was recently offered a position in Queen Anne and start next month. Still in background check stage. Fingers are permanently crossed.

Oddly enough, my two bosses are from Sac and Modesto originally. What is our fascination with the Northwest??

I have $1500 saved which isn't much but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I'm looking to move to Magnolia or Queen Anne (I know, blah) for the next year so I can save some money to buy something in 09. I am worried I'll get a sh*t apartment but what can you do when you're totally new to an area? And what gets me is everybody is so damn set on 12 month lease. What ever happened to month-to-month? Whatev.

Anyway, I wish you oodles of luck. Message me when you get to town. I'm a fan of music and won't know a single person. I love adventure!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 PM

44 posts, read 167,121 times
Why do you say blah about Queen Anne? It is one of the best places (and most expensive) in the city. Now Magnolia -- blah, until you have kids, and then it is pretty nice.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 AM

14 posts, read 53,103 times
Oh, a local on one of these 8 million threads said that Queen Anne was nothing but a view.

What do you know about Sunset Hill?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:08 PM

40 posts, read 176,146 times
Ditto on the plan ahead. Remember that in the Seattle area it is all about transportation so where you live and where you work need to be convenient. Don't sign a lease in a lovely Seattle neighborhood if the great job ends up in Federal Way or Snohomish County. Find the job first.

Scope out public transportation and see if Metro or The Sounder will work for you.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM

40 posts, read 176,146 times
Have an absolute minimum of three months expenses and six if you can swing it. The skyline is crowded with cranes doing heavy commercial construction, but no telling how much that will last. People are still building homes too, but this has slacked off until the credit thing sorts out. Once home loan money becomes available residential construction will bounce back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area