Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:22 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times

Advertisements

...so they're mistakenly called "skeeter eaters" because they look like mosquitoes on steroids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,065,435 times
I haven't read all of the responses ... but mold, colds and SPIDERS are a problem in Western WA. Lots and lots of spiders. Especially in their hatching out period of Sept/Oct. I will never forget seeing tons of new babies rapelling to the floor from a recessed light fixture in my boys room... omg...

All of my boys were born in the Seattle area, and were never in daycare - yet still every Sept the colds would start, and seem to continue on for months and months as we passed it around the 5 of us. Flu shots (even though I don't really care for the flu shot) were a must for us. Kids are germ magnets anyway - but it seemed really bad there compared to what we are experiencing now being out of the state.

I am allergic to mold, so my allergies were a mess in the Seattle area. Mold in our house wasn't a problem - but when we were purchasing, we walked away from a deal or two when there was mold discovered in the inspection process. In some of the older neighborhoods, you can just drive down the street and see the moss growing on the roofs and such....

Flooding happens often (meaning every year) in some of the areas I have lived - Issaquah and Bothell in particular. Even though the amount of rainfall the area gets is not necessarily larger than other states... it does swell the rivers & bodies of water, of which there are plenty in the Seattle area suburbs.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
...so they're mistakenly called "skeeter eaters" because they look like mosquitoes on steroids?
That would be my guess (even my wife called them that).
I'm constantly finding their larva in the ground when I dig in the garden.

Ken

Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Mold tends to be more of a problem in newer homes; this is due to newer construction being more airtight than older homes. However, any home can have problems with mold. With proper ventilation, good maintenance and housekeeping mold problems can be kept to a minimum.

Don't place furniture too close to walls, this allows for better air circulation, which helps, prevent mold. Regularly wipe down condensation that forms on windows and windowsills...and regularly open windows and doors, even in the winter. Always use the fan while cooking and bathing, and leave the fan on for 15-20 minutes after cooking or bathing.

Flooding can be a problem in low lying areas, however the majority of the regions residents usually are not affected by flooding.

Normally it is not the amount of rain we get that causes flooding, rather it is caused when we get what is known as a "Pineapple Express" system. A Pineapple Express is a weather system that has its origins in the Hawaiian tropics, and brings an abundance of rather warm tropical moisture, which means precipitation falls as rain instead of snow in the mountains, quickly melting snow in the mountains. The water from the melting snow in the higher elevations added to the water from the rain in the lower elevations causes the rivers to rise and many times flood.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM

64 posts, read 251,034 times
Very interesting! We have the same bug in the Atlanta area and they are called "mosquito hawks". I like the name skeeter eater even if they don't eat skeeters.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
OMG....LMAO......I can just vision that. That would be my big old lab.....now my other dog digs at those in the yard. They are so gross.
Yeah, we used to have a little Pomeranian and when he was a puppy he tried to eat a slug and got the slime all over his tongue. It was pretty funny watching him try to get it off.

He NEVER tried that again.

Ken

Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joplinlb View Post
Very interesting! We have the same bug in the Atlanta area and they are called "mosquito hawks". I like the name skeeter eater even if they don't eat skeeters.
My wife has referred to them as that too.

Ken

Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
If snails are a French delicacy, and locally produced foods are trendy right now, is it just a matter of time before we see sauteed slugs in a blackberry butter?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
If snails are a French delicacy, and locally produced foods are trendy right now, is it just a matter of time before we see sauteed slugs in a blackberry butter?
YUCK!

Ken

Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually it's a myth that they eat mozzies.
In truth they are crane flys and considered pests:

Crane Fly FAQ

Ken

I hate crane flies! I whacked one with a broom one time and it fell on the floor...I was waiting for someone else to come home and pick it up. Then about 20 minutes later, it swooped right back up to the ceiling and scared the crapola out of me.

Another time, there was one in our bathroom that the kids use and they kept telling me there was one in there but I was in a rush to get to work so I didn't check it out. After work, my daughter's dad was over, went in to use that bathroom, came out and asked me "um, why is there an eagle in your bathroom?". I had the kids kill it and I never did see it.

Luckily, I haven't seen any this year yet and I really don't recall seeing any last summer either. I wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area