Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:11 AM

160 posts, read 975,555 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about Maple Valley. It looks very affordable and a nice place to raise kids. Am I getting the right impression? Please advise. I have two boys ages 31/2yrs and 2yrs of age. My husband is looking to get transferred back up to WA (works for Boeing), so I think we will be south of Seattle, most likely, in Kent or Tukwila.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 11:14 PM

454 posts, read 905,333 times
Maple valley has the rural feeling, but is growing like all of the other areas. The access to renton makes this a good area if you are a Boeing family.

Some areas have homes that are less than nice. A lot of the property along the maple valley Hwy has the hill to the south, so there will tend to be more dampness and less sun in the winter time.

All in all if you like the rural feeling, this is not a bad area. You may also want to expand your search farther east and look at Covington.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,118 times
Default Boeing relocation

We are moving to the Seattle area. My husband is a Boeing employee and he will be working in Tukwila. We were also looking at the Maple Valley area. We have 3 boys and are looking for a good area for familys. My question is if we cannot find a home in Maple Valley what is the next best location. We will be looking to rent a house?

Old 07-09-2007, 04:31 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Covington is between Maple Valley and Auburn. Any of the areas in that corridor are similar so Maple Valley into parts of Auburn you may want to check. Some of it is more rural in nature unless right in the commercial centers of those towns.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,949 times
I love living in Maple Valley. I have a 12 year old and another on the way, and I think this is a great place to raise kids. I moved here years ago after researching school districts in the south puget sound area. I found the Tahoma district to be well regarded, and one of the better in the area. I have not been disappointed. I have loved the education my child has gotten so far. The draw back I see here in Maple Valley, is the tremendous amount of new houses. The growth is amazing in the last 5 years here. I feel safe in this area. On schools alone, I would choose Tahoma over the Covington/Kent area.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:28 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
My friend has a new home there - it's very nice and quite affordable

we have small children - and I visit there often - it's very safe to let them just play in the yards out front!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,645 times
Hi Shadow42:

Maple Valley is a wonderful place to raise a family! With numerous parks, and the award-winning Tahoma School District, you'll really enjoy the area.

Since your husband will work at the Tukwila Boeing area, you actually have a few additional choices, depending on your budget and your preferences.

Several people here have mentioned Kent/Covington, which is also a great area. I have three grown children, all of whom went through the Kent schools. They're all high achievers and received a good education. (Of course, I think anyone with motivation can receive a wonderful education anywhere, which isn't meant to be a negative comment on the schools at all)

In addition, you may wish to search a wee bit further south into Auburn. If you stay up on the east hill (which is where part of Kent and Covington are), you'll find brand new elementary and high schools.

You could also move a bit further north into Renton, Newcastle, or over into the West Hill, which will encompass Kent, Auburn, Des Moines, Federal Way, and northeast Tacoma.

Tukwila is nicely situated in the valley between all of these areas, so you really have a lot of choices.

I read from your post that you'll be renting a home here. As a Realtor that works heavily in this area, be aware that overall, this is an area of high growth. Rentals are getting more scarce at the moment, but there are lots and lots of opportunities for home purchase if you find you'd like to go in that direction.

One thought for you that I'm beginning to see are Leases with Options to Buy. (Sellers need to get rid of that mortgage payment, especially if they've already bought something new!) If you use a reputable agent to help you with that, you may be able to open up an opportunity for yourself to step into a house also.

In any event, shoot me back a message if you'd like more demographics or information about the area. I'm delighted to be of help.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:29 AM

4 posts, read 23,452 times
I live in Maple Valley and love it. The school district is very good.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,442 times
noooo!! stay away!! I've lived in maple valley my entire life, my mother was raised here as well. As much of a charming rural country town as it WAS...it is now the fastest growing city in Washington. IT SUX! I hate that it takes me 30 minutes sitting at one light. I hate that they let devlopers develop unlimited amounts of land, while those of us with farms, can't touch 60% of it. STAY AWAY FROM KING COUNTY...or you will never control your property again!!

If you're ok with living in developments where you can see what your neighbor is eating for dinner, then yes. this is the place. Lord knows there's a million and one houses like that being developed out here. But if you really want space, land, and freedom...stay out of king county!! It will control you for the rest of your life!!

yes- I'm sad to say..I'm looking at moving to Montana or somewhere that still respects and protects property rights. King County certainly isn't it. It is extremely sad that I have to give up 30 acres that my mom was raised on, that I was raised on, that I have been raising my family on, because developers have higher priorities than families.

Last edited by countrygirl76; 01-17-2008 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:58 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
OMG!! For once no one recommended the eastside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area