Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:25 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,574 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Wisconsin and most people are very progressive but also slightly racist, including myself. When you grow up in Milwaukee, which is about 20% white and also one of the poorest, most violent cities in America, it is just hard not to be. ANYWAYZ:

How is Seattle in this regard? If I moved to Seattle, should I expect to be ostracized for comments that might be considered racially insensitive?

Old 06-21-2008, 05:30 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
How is Seattle in this regard? If I moved to Seattle, should I expect to be ostracized for comments that might be considered racially insensitive?
Short answer...yes.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:53 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times
*boggle*

Old 06-21-2008, 06:16 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,704,361 times
You might be wise to keep it to yourself

Even if you were in the company of zero minorities, you will be frowned upon

Old 06-21-2008, 06:21 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,574 times
That post sounded weirder than it should have. Sometimes, things just come out, you know...

Old 06-21-2008, 06:43 PM

478 posts, read 2,304,224 times
Quote:
I grew up in Wisconsin and most people are very progressive but also slightly racist, including myself. When you grow up in Milwaukee, which is about 20% white and also one of the poorest, most violent cities in America, it is just hard not to be. ANYWAYZ:

A note of warning:

Seattle has one of the highest rates of interracial marriage in the country, and as such, there is a very high percentage of people here who are of mixed race.

Not everyone that you talk to who looks "white", is "white". Assumptions can get you in a lot of trouble.

That goes double for making assumptions about people who don't dress well or don't keep bankers' hours. Oftentimes, that scruffy-looking guy sitting in the cafe is an Internet millionaire who wiles away his time.

It is best to treat everyone with respect here, because you never know who you could be pissing off. This town's social scene is unbelievably small.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:28 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,866 times
Your comments sound very narrow minded.

Race does not translate into crime. Theirs high crime in the carribean, central, south america, asia, se asia, australia, middle east, western and especially eastern europe. Do you know that you can't even drive cars at night in Latvia because of car jackings by bandits? How about the Russian and Italian mafia who killed hundreds of people...

Its real simple formula

Education + Prosperity(Wealth-Jobs-Entrepeneurial Support/Success)= low crime

I live in DC which has a large middle/upper class AA demographic and in those areas crime was low.........what were the characteristics of this group?
-college educated
-high paying professions
-successful entrepreneurs
-home owners
-racially tolerant surrounding communities...

your line of thinking shows lack of travel and experiences outside of the six o'clock news sir

Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
Quote:
I grew up in Wisconsin and most people are very progressive but also slightly racist,
This comment is absurd but I don't think it is too off the mark. Lots of "progressives" claim to be open minded but in fact, still have the tendency to rely on generalizations.

As much as people don't like to admit it, there is racism here - not the "burn crosses on people's lawn" varieties, but their still isn't much integration in neighborhoods. I know people will jump all over me with anecdotal stories, but the fact is neighborhoods are still pretty segregated here and that's why the school district is having such problems with lack of diversity in certain schools.

Last edited by Jennibc; 06-21-2008 at 08:36 PM..

Old 06-21-2008, 08:19 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
I've met racist people in Seattle.

You make an off comment about my Asian wife, and you'd realize it pretty quick.

Seattle has naked bicycle races. Gays are welcome. You're gonna meet people of every color, creed, nationality and sexual orientation.

Really.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:16 AM

68 posts, read 338,625 times
It's not that there is no racism because there certainly is, but I think that in general if you make an off color or racially insensitive remark, you will offend at least 9 out of 10 people (unless it is obviously meant in a non-offensive way with people that you know well) and unless you know them well, probably 8 out of 10 won't be hanging out with you again. So I'd say there is definitely a chance of being ostracized because of it to some extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area