Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 AM

22 posts, read 129,213 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what your opinion is of Shoreline? (Is it considered a neighbourhood in Seattle or is it a city of it's own?) I will be working downtown and heard it's about 15 mins drive? Also heard it's pretty safe for a single, young girl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 02:09 PM

139 posts, read 1,217,206 times
Shoreline up until 1994-5 was considered North Seattle but suceded and became its own independent city. I personally still consider it a part of Seattle but I'm a born and raised native. Shoreline along with Edmonds and Lynnwood are what I consider to be average suburbia and you are 15 minutes from downtown depending how close you are to Aurora Ave/hwy 99. Most of Shoreline is decent but expensive especially near the water Richmond Beach area. If at all possible avoid living in the general vicinity of Aurora Ave. There are alot of cheap motels, pawn shops, and in the not so distant pass drug dealers, prostitutes, and drug addicts.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:21 PM

269 posts, read 1,243,945 times
I live a block south of the Shoreline/Seattle boundary, five blocks east of Aurora/99, and Seattletony is bang on. I think you want to be no closer to Aurora than Meridian Ave, on the east side. I don't know about the other direction; the road grid gets less direct and rectilinear, which is usually good in terms of keeping riffraff out.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 16,158 times
Default Shoreline is nice

Hey, I live in Richmond Beach, and Shoreline is handy to commute to Seattle.
It was rated Seattle's best neighborhood in Seattle Magazine in 2006.
It is a little cheaper than Seattle and it is a lot more woodsy (just watch out for falling trees during the windstorms),

Old 01-15-2007, 04:18 AM

232 posts, read 995,407 times
Pika,

Shoreline is nice if you don't want to live in the city of Seattle...it borders it.
It is it's own city...I use to live on the border of it. My sis n law lives there and likes it. It will take you more than 15 min to get to downtown.(because of traffic). I would actually recommend one of the cool more hip districts in Seattle, especially if your young and only going to rent. They are all pretty safe. Good luck !

Old 01-15-2007, 10:11 AM

534 posts, read 3,111,874 times
Quote:
It was rated Seattle's best neighborhood in Seattle Magazine in 2006
Wow! There are nice parts of Shoreline but best neighborhood...?

Take a look at Ballard. Safe, close and convenient. Shoreline is right above it but you might get tired of the 20 stop lights on Aurora. Living in Ballard you can avoid all of it.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 AM

6 posts, read 20,265 times
Bad Air Is Here: It's now 2014 and Shoreline's air is continuing to get worse. Maybe by the time you read this, the air has improved. I hope so.

But for now, between October and April, the air is increasingly becoming intolerable to breath here, because of legal residential wood burning, and the increasing cost of gas and electricity, and low wages. In the warmest summer months, between May and even into September, legal backyard recreational burning, is on the rise too.

In 2000, recreational burning became unwisely legal throughout Washington State, but this should be legally reversed by lawmakers, as should the allowing of residential wood burning. Why? Now that we know about the harmful effects of inhaling wood smoke, including charcoal, phasing these out is the right thing to do.

In the meantime, there is no getting away from the inflammatory toxins created by often unaware residents here, and who often insist on burning despite knowing how harmful it is. Therefore, if you care about your lungs, brains and heart, it is not recommended to live here, that is, until sane clean air laws are created and abided by. Which hopefully will happen, or has happened already, by the time you have read this.

Last edited by Deborah Marchant'; 07-29-2014 at 12:35 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 11:16 PM

6 posts, read 20,265 times
(This is a longer & more detailed version of my comment above about Shoreline, Washington.)

Bad Air Is Here in Shoreline, Washington:

This neighboring city of Seattle is in an air shed basin, between mountain ranges, and has several winter inversions, making it harder for wood smoke to dissipate more easily.

For your information, it's now 2014 and Shoreline's air is continuing to become more and more wood-smoked. Maybe by the time you read this, the air has improved. I hope so. Maybe you're someone that demanded wood smoke free air and now cities like Shoreline now has it years later.

But for now, between October and April, the air is increasingly becoming intolerable to breath here. This is because of legal 'residential' wood burning. This form of home heating is especially motivated by the increasing cost of gas and electricity, and low wages. This area also predominately has homes with baseboard heaters, which are expensive to use. fyi: space heaters are recommended to use here, instead of baseboard heaters.

In the warmest months, between May and even into September, legal yet harmful backyard recreational burning, is on the rise too.

The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency at http://www.pscleanair.org, here has the legal authority to stop wood burning. But unfortunately, they are currently & unwisely saying it's okay to burn wood to heat a home, and that it's also okay to 'recreationally' burn wood, including wood-charcoal. But, they add, only as long as you abide by their regulations, and "don't smoke out the neighbors". However, their regulations are often hard to enforce. If you are being exposed to wood & charcoal smoke and are being made ill from this, you often need to live right next door to the source of the smoke to successfully have the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency, and the fire department stop them from burning. As we know, smoke can travel miles, impacting your health from blocks away. So, does this policy sound practically useless to you too?

In 2009 'recreational' burning became unwisely "legal" throughout Washington State, but this should be legally reversed by lawmakers. Residential wood burning should be outlawed too. Why? Now that we know about the harmful effects of inhaling wood smoke, including wood-charcoal, phasing out these air-borne toxins is the RIGHT thing to do.

In the meantime, there is often no getting away from the inflammatory toxins created by usually unaware residents here, and often even from stubborn neighbors who insist on burning, despite knowing how harmful it is. Even when you & the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency, and fire department have informed them, these types of neighbors continue to burn.

Therefore, if you care about your lungs, brains and heart, it is not recommended that you live here*, that is, until sane clean air laws are created and abided by. Which hopefully will happen, or has happened already, by the time you have read this.

*A special note: We are supposedly lucky to have wood burning regulations here, because most cities across the US allow for a free-for-all on polluting the air with wood smoke. We're 'lucky' in that in an area populated by more than 10,000 people, burning debris in the backyard is outlawed. Therefore, backyard burning of yard waste is illegal here. But the burning of logs in a "legal" backyard fire pit is okay. What's the difference? http://www.pscleanair.org/actions/ou...reational.aspx

We also have the law on our side that helps protect us from being smoked-out by our neighbor's burning. But this applies only in certain & special circumstances. Also, the fire department and the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency inspectors use a subjective decision-making process, within their individual minds, and this usually blocks them handling well your valid wood smoke complaint.

If you're interested in learning about the politics behind the wood burning laws in the State of Washington, here is information about the 2009 Senate Bill 5767 http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summ...2009&bill=5767. It was primarily copied from the International Fire Code Section 307
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summ...2009&bill=5767.

Best of health for you and your loved ones.

Last edited by Deborah Marchant'; 08-01-2014 at 11:53 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 01:35 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times
Well that was random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area