Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 06:28 AM

15 posts, read 6,766 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I hope I could get some help or direction here. We (I) are thinking about moving to Seattle area from Houston. My ex husband has been offered a relocation from the big company everyone knows of.

I don’t need a big house, will be looking for an apartment and ~500 sq. Ft. would probably be enough. Budget ~$2000. We would need 2 apartments in close proximity. Commute is not important as we work remotely and travel. I travel a lot so don’t want to pay too much for rent as apartment will be empty a lot of times. It could be in Seattle or Bellevue or other cities That would fall under the criteria of good schools/high energy. Think New York or Paris vibe. I lived in Paris and loved it so I’m looking for sort of a close substitute in the US as I can’t be permanently based in Europe at this time.

We will be moving with a 7 year old that will be going to elementary school. So a good school is very important. Im not looking for a cold “rating only” school, rather for good teachers that nurture the whole child. Looking for public not private schools. Obviously a safe neighborhood as I will be living with a child, so preferably no homeless addicts around.

I’d be looking for an area that is walkable to grocery stores, bakeries, cafes, etc. Basically somewhere I wouldn’t really need to drive although I don’t mind it occasionally (I have to drive everywhere in Houston and hate it).

As a 38 yo single person I’m looking for a safe city neighborhood with high energy, liberal, lots happening, walkable, pleasant to look at (rare in Houston). I’m not a suburbs type of person.

I’ve heard that summers are gorgeous and in winter I hope it will be bearable as I snowboard.

I’m very tired of vast boring place that Houston is, of the unbearable heat, of the politics and rednecks, of the lack of cultural events, arts. The city is just plain ugly.

Does that exist in Seattle area?

Last edited by Dika; 08-18-2022 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Cut off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 12:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,838 times
Apart from the ‘not too much in rent’, Seattle has you covered.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:46 PM

8,327 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dika View Post

I’m very tired of vast boring place that Houston is, of the unbearable heat, of the politics and rednecks, of the lack of cultural events, arts. The city is just plain ugly.
Honestly curious as to where you lived in Houston that you couldnt find cultural events or the arts because Houston does very well in those categories. Rednecks? I cant imagine you were living close to the city center. Its a crazy diverse city.

But yeah its hot, not very walkable, and the state is red.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:02 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Yes, it exists, although perhaps not up to "Paris" standards, but definitely better than Houston. Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, Ravenna/Roosevelt, Queen Anne (Upper/Lower), Capitol Hill/First Hill, North Admiral/Alki.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,556 posts, read 81,131,933 times
There are four of my team at work, all early 30s that live within a block of each other. Their apartments are all in the area of 15th and Market, in the Ballard neighborhood. Anything you would want is walkable in that neighborhood. I'm not sure which elementary school that feeds to but we know someone whose kids go to West Woodland Elementary and are very happy with it.

Old 08-18-2022, 02:07 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are four of my team at work, all early 30s that live within a block of each other. Their apartments are all in the area of 15th and Market, in the Ballard neighborhood. Anything you would want is walkable in that neighborhood. I'm not sure which elementary school that feeds to but we know someone whose kids go to West Woodland Elementary and are very happy with it.
That or Adams Elementary or Licton Springs K-8. Further north: Loyal Heights Elementary or Whittier Elementary.

Ballard has the Ballard Locks & Fish Ladder and Golden Gardens Park/Beach, both of which are great for kids. Woodland Park Zoo, Green Lake, Gas Works Park, Discovery Park/Beach, and Carkeek Park/Beach are not far away.

Old 08-18-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Apart from the ‘not too much in rent’, Seattle has you covered.
I’m so happy to hear that! I’d go down in square footage as a trade off

Old 08-18-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Yes, it exists, although perhaps not up to "Paris" standards, but definitely better than Houston. Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, Ravenna/Roosevelt, Queen Anne (Upper/Lower), Capitol Hill/First Hill, North Admiral/Alki.
Yes I realize that matching Paris is a tall order but I’m really hoping to find something similar in the US. I’m not sure if I can find it but at this point I’m just trying to escape Houston and as you said Seattle would definitely be better.

I started researching Ballard and watched a video about it. The guy called it “Seattle sweetheart” it seems safe and walkable. No homeless there right? The schools look good too. I could find a few smaller places that are okay I guess and would fit my price range. (Everything is bigger in Texas so I’m used to bigger apartments and cheaper prices but yeah there is a reason it is more expensive in Seattle).
I’m overseas now and we are planning a trip to Seattle to check it out within the next few weeks and I’ll definitely go see the areas you mentioned.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Thank you for the recommendation. West Woodland Elementary looks good and has great reviews. The area also looks pretty urban and walkable. I didn’t see any homeless addicts on the streets in the video reviews I just watched Is that area considered a suburb? If I go further south towards DT would it get less and less safe?

Old 08-18-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Honestly curious as to where you lived in Houston that you couldnt find cultural events or the arts because Houston does very well in those categories. Rednecks? I cant imagine you were living close to the city center. Its a crazy diverse city.

But yeah its hot, not very walkable, and the state is red.
When I was in my 20s I lived in Galleria, then in Rice U area bordering West U (Boulevard Oaks if you know). Lately I lived smack in the middle of the City Center as I was trying to find some life in the city.

Houston is full of strip malls, it’s like a one huge sprawling suburb. Doesn’t have much in terms of its appearance, nature or architecture.

Culturally it’s not on par with the big European cities or New York. Im not really interested in Rodeo or sports events… yeah There is just not much going on culturally.
Houston is really not diverse, it’s just segregated. Latinos stick with Latinos, Asians with Asians, etc. There is no real diversity in the city sadly. There is no real blend of people and cultures and no real acceptance of differences. And the city lacks energy that comes out of it.
People are also very religious, which is not my cup of tea I would much rather prefer secular city like Seattle.

One good thing is that food if good and inexpensive which might explain why there are so many obese people in the city and in the state…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area