Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 06:00 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times

Advertisements

You can get a box at a ups store and have your packages delivered there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 09:39 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
I love these “glitter and stink bomb” videos designed to shock unsuspecting porch pirates. https://youtu.be/h4T_LlK1VE4

Old 06-03-2022, 02:51 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
Our place in California is a nice place in a really nice area.
As I earlier mentioned we have the ring doorbell system.
This is also a community thing where people post odd sightings like lions, suspicious characters and porch pirates.

There are lots of porch pirate delivery thieves in the area.
When you see the videos of the thefts you can tell that they are not from here and had to commute to get here.
Lots of times it’s the same cars and people hitting the area and will show up on several posted vids.

I like the service because it helps me with knowing what is going on in my neighborhood.
Good luck to ya.
Andy.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:29 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
This is not Japan, I would never let a delivery service leave something expensive just dropped.

Stay home and watch it!

Old 06-04-2022, 08:42 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
This is not Japan, I would never let a delivery service leave something expensive just dropped.

Stay home and watch it!
I don't even understand why companies even deliver to homes and leave packages on doorsteps or porches.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:53 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetrip29 View Post
Hello,

Recently couple of packages got stolen from our front porch (one from Walmart and one from Amazon). Amazon showed the package was delivered and it also shows a pic of the package that was left in front of the door. However, when I returned home, the packages were missing. We knew they were stolen as a few other items were also gone - couple of planters, pair of sneakers, and a door mat (who on earth would steal a used door mat?).

What do people do when their packages get stolen? Can we file a report with police for items that cost a few of hundred dollars? I am not much worried about sneakers or planters but the items from Walmart and Amazon adds up close to $400.

Thanks.
What neighborhood is this occurring in? (For a useful warning to others in the area)

Old 06-04-2022, 10:02 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
You can get a box at a ups store and have your packages delivered there.
That's what I do. But surprisingly, a lot of the time it doesn't work! FedEx delivers after hours and before the UPS stores open! They leave a note saying "attempted delivery". They can see on the door what the office's hours are. Sometimes they try again another day, sometimes they don't. It's weird; their delivery people know the hours of the UPS stores in town, but they ignore them.

Where I'm living currently, the UPS store does not have a contract with the USPS! So the USPS delivery people show up randomly, and some days--not at all! Other days, they show up after the UPS store has closed for the day. I can't leave an outgoing package (USPS) with this UPS store location, because I have no guarantee it will go out that day or even that week! I have to take it to the post office and wait in line, even if it has a pre-paid mailing sticker, because packages aren't allowed to be dropped in the mailboxes outside or the mail slots inside the office.

Meanwhile, the rent at the UPS stores for the smallest boxes runs about $50/month, maybe a little less, depending.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:38 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetrip29 View Post
Hello,

Recently couple of packages got stolen from our front porch (one from Walmart and one from Amazon). Amazon showed the package was delivered and it also shows a pic of the package that was left in front of the door. However, when I returned home, the packages were missing. We knew they were stolen as a few other items were also gone - couple of planters, pair of sneakers, and a door mat (who on earth would steal a used door mat?).

What do people do when their packages get stolen? Can we file a report with police for items that cost a few of hundred dollars? I am not much worried about sneakers or planters but the items from Walmart and Amazon adds up close to $400.

Thanks.
Just looking at this. Be happy it was only a few packages, although I'm sorry to hear that. I have not had any packages stolen and I have packages left from Walmart, Amazon, etc. a lot. However, I just had an ATM theft and the bank (among others) claim someone we knew did it, or we did it. I know we did not. But we lost a lot of money. I filed a police report though and awaiting the bank's ridiculous decision. We'll see. I'll be reading the posts here because I've been looking into a doorbell video without going to too much trouble since I have trouble walking and so does my husband.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I don't even understand why companies even deliver to homes and leave packages on doorsteps or porches.
So far I haven't had trouble, and I'm happy that they deliver. Yes, a delivery point can be set up but I have trouble walking, so frankly I'm happy they deliver to the door. I haven't had any trouble so far. When I do I'll probably rethink it. But so far, I'm ok with door delivery. Although I live in a condo apartment and I don't think my neighbors are thieves. But you never know...

Old 07-18-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Sorry to hear that this happened to you.
I haven’t had this happen to me “knock on wood”.
We constantly buy items online and one thing we did a few years ago was to install a “Ring Doorbell” camera system.
I think a system like this is cheap at twice the price.
Let’s me know when an important/expensive item has arrived or if a family member has safety made it home.

These thieves went crazy with easy pickens during the pandemic and the holidays.
These people can hurt you.
The fact that a thief came to a house and stole something is rather scary and alarming.
I don’t wish that on anyone.
This should be considered burglary and properly dealt with imo.
I have questions about a ring camera, or doorbell camera, so would like to start a thread about this. I hope you will be on it to help me, because I'm looking on amazon and walmart and find few answers to my questions about it. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area