Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2006, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 25,484 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate from MN in the spring of '07 for employment in Ballard. We lived in Enumclaw about 3 yrs ago and liked having access to Seattle but not living right in it (personal preference due to family considerations). Enumclaw was actually nicer than I think it is sometimes given credit, but would agree that it is more remote than our preference and accesibility to good restaurants and shopping was quite limited. Just in Seattle over the Holidays and looked at Edmonds. We liked the community feel of that area but would prefer to be a little further away from Seattle and avoid the north / south commute. At this point, we are interested in the Sammamish area as schools, safety and family environment are high priorities. Looking to spend $375,000 or less for a 3 BR home and willing to look at a nice condo if necessary. Is that realistic in the Sammamish area? Also, what would be a realistic commute time for a M-F 9-5 'ish position near the Swedish Hospital (1 hr or less?)? Location of employment is 15th Ave NW and NW 54th ST. Also, if we needed to look outside Sammamish, would North Bend schools be on par with Sammamish (children ages 11 and 16) and are there flooding issues in both areas? Thank you for any feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 11:28 AM

454 posts, read 905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belowzero View Post
Looking to relocate from MN in the spring of '07 for employment in Ballard. We lived in Enumclaw about 3 yrs ago and liked having access to Seattle but not living right in it (personal preference due to family considerations). Enumclaw was actually nicer than I think it is sometimes given credit, but would agree that it is more remote than our preference and accesibility to good restaurants and shopping was quite limited. Just in Seattle over the Holidays and looked at Edmonds. We liked the community feel of that area but would prefer to be a little further away from Seattle and avoid the north / south commute. At this point, we are interested in the Sammamish area as schools, safety and family environment are high priorities. Looking to spend $375,000 or less for a 3 BR home and willing to look at a nice condo if necessary. Is that realistic in the Sammamish area? Also, what would be a realistic commute time for a M-F 9-5 'ish position near the Swedish Hospital (1 hr or less?)? Location of employment is 15th Ave NW and NW 54th ST. Also, if we needed to look outside Sammamish, would North Bend schools be on par with Sammamish (children ages 11 and 16) and are there flooding issues in both areas? Thank you for any feedback
At 5PM expect a 20-30 minute crawl from there to I-5. From I-5 you can either go across 520 or I-90. 520 is shorter, but the path home would not be nice. 520 to redmond/fall city rd, then down w-lk samm. I would guess that from work to home would be 60-90 minutes for a typical day with Fridays being especially rough for some reason. You would be far better off in Edmonds if the commute were important. The farthest south you may want to look if Edmonds of out would be Shoreline. Check out Lake Forest Park. Very bedroom community, not a lot of "developments". the streets are laid out based on the terrain of the hills. It's older, not as nice as Edmonds in general, but the commute would be better in most cases. You would not need to use I-5, but you can use it if the traffic is looking good, so you will have more street options.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:33 PM

331 posts, read 2,109,528 times
Quote:
At this point, we are interested in the Sammamish area as schools, safety and family environment are high priorities. Looking to spend $375,000 or less for a 3 BR home and willing to look at a nice condo if necessary. Is that realistic in the Sammamish area?
That would be a deal here. I am sure you could find a condo for that in this area.

Since I don't commute much... I can't help you there. All I can offer is that it depends on your work schedule. The commute hours don't last all that long. Not like what I was used to in the So Ca area.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 25,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
At 5PM expect a 20-30 minute crawl from there to I-5. From I-5 you can either go across 520 or I-90. 520 is shorter, but the path home would not be nice. 520 to redmond/fall city rd, then down w-lk samm. I would guess that from work to home would be 60-90 minutes for a typical day with Fridays being especially rough for some reason.
Would a van pool or ride share cut down on the commute time and roughly by how much? If I left home around 9 a.m. and work at 5:30 p.m. would that help much? In general, how much time would the commute to North Bend where the homes are less expensive add from Sammamish or Issaquah? It seems like it would be a straight shot at 65 mph (ideally) from the Issaquah area?? For me, commute time is not as important as the other priorities I have mentioned previously. Thanks again for the local insight--very helpful.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:39 PM

454 posts, read 905,878 times
Quote:
Would a van pool or ride share cut down on the commute time and roughly by how much? If I left home around 9 a.m. and work at 5:30 p.m. would that help much? In general, how much time would the commute to North Bend where the homes are less expensive add from Sammamish or Issaquah? It seems like it would be a straight shot at 65 mph (ideally) from the Issaquah area?? For me, commute time is not as important as the other priorities I have mentioned previously. Thanks again for the local insight--very helpful.
The van pool would not help much if you go over 520. There is not a carpool lane of any value from Ballard across the floating bridge, but once you get on the Bellevue side you get a carpool lane that will take you to Redmond, but that is it. so that would help a bit, but the extra time needed to do the van pool pick up and delivery would eat your time savings up.

North Bend does give you the advantage of clear sailing from NB to Issaquah, but then you have quite a trip from there. Moderate to heavy traffic on the bridge across Mercer Island, then you have to go through the heavy downtown Seattle corridor. You will probably be having about the same commute time comparted to much of the Pinelake plateau area.

Flexing your work schedule would help a bit, but if you have to punch a clock, much care must be taken to monitor the traffic because all it takes is one major accident to mess the roads up for hours, so you would need to leave earlier in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area