Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2021, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 896 times

Advertisements

If things pan out, it looks like I will be getting a job in Issaquah this summer. I'm a recent college grad that will be moving to WA from the mountains of Virginia. I've never lived on the west coast but have always been interested in the PNW. Like I said - the job is in Issaquah. Would you consider it a decent area for mid-20s single people, in terms of things to do/opportunities for socialization? I spend a lot of time hiking/backpacking/climbing but also like going out to restaurants, concerts, and similar social places. If not, are there nearby areas that would be better for 20-somethings that are reasonably close to Issaquah? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 04:59 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Honestly, Issaquah wouldn't be great for that. If having a social life outside of work is important to you, your best bet is to live somewhere in the city close to I-90 --- Mt. Baker, Beacon Hill, Central District, maybe Columbia City. All those areas would be about a half-hour to Issaquah with rush-hour traffic. Activities on the Eastside are mostly geared toward (1) families and (2) young, boring rich people with flashy cars. You can easily get to outdoor activities from anywhere in the metro area, but for having a social life, you want to be physically close to where your friends live, since it makes it much easier to spontaneously hang out.

When I moved here in mid-2019 for a contract position in Redmond, I just had a sense it would be a dull place to live, so I got a studio in the University District and accepted the commute (it was a very small unit, but then I had almost no time to look for one, and I was making less than I am now). One of the best decisions I've ever made. It's allowed me to build up a large and closely knit circle of friends, with interesting lifestyles, fashion styles, and worldviews, and I don't think that would've happened if I'd chosen to live close to work on the Eastside.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:56 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Issaquah does get you closer to hiking, climbing, mountain biking, and skiing/crosscountry opportunities. There are hiking and climbing clubs you can join for socializing (The Mountaineers, Washington Alpine Club, American Alpine Club/NW, Sierra Club, Issaquah Alps Trails Club, etc.). Lake Sammamish State Park is also a very popular swimming beach in the summer.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:58 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
OP, I think you can socialize through those activity groups. And the Mountaineers has social gatherings in winter, when hiking isn't possible. They also have singles hikes, and singles social events. That seems like the best way to find a kindred spirit and make friends.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:59 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionaray View Post
If things pan out, it looks like I will be getting a job in Issaquah this summer. I'm a recent college grad that will be moving to WA from the mountains of Virginia. I've never lived on the west coast but have always been interested in the PNW. Like I said - the job is in Issaquah. Would you consider it a decent area for mid-20s single people, in terms of things to do/opportunities for socialization? I spend a lot of time hiking/backpacking/climbing but also like going out to restaurants, concerts, and similar social places. If not, are there nearby areas that would be better for 20-somethings that are reasonably close to Issaquah? Thanks.
Actually, if you could live close to the Front Street downtown area of Issaquah, it has character, great food nearby and may have just the right amount of things to do. You sound like a mountain/hiker/climber, which means to me you find happiness in nature and don't need the buzz of the city all the time. Issaquah is well positioned to get you out to trailheads and climbing easily, yet close enough to buzz into town when you want. Try to livened that area I mentioned, there are some cool little brewpubs, coffee shops, cafe closeby.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:55 AM

18 posts, read 25,823 times
Issaquah is actually a really good choice. You have great hiking options but also only 20-30 minutes away from Bellevue/Seattle. You get a smaller town vibe but it's great. Also, traffic is a lot better on I-90 compare to I-5, 405 or other options. As a local, this is the area I would want to live in

Old 01-19-2021, 10:58 AM

70 posts, read 86,986 times
I'm with TimidBlueBars and think you should consider somewhere in Seattle. Easy access from Seattle to all the nature you want but easier access to the social aspect you're looking for by living in Seattle. If living in Seattle doesn't seem like a good fit for you, then check out downtown Bellevue - about 10 minutes from Issaquah and on the other side of the bridge from Seattle so you miss some of the nasty traffic commuting to Issaquah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area