Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times

Advertisements

I think a salient point here is that many of the protestors are liberals/progressives, not Trump followers, therefore wore masks at a much higher rate than similar conservative gatherings. A large group of protestors walked close to where we live in Seattle, almost every person had a mask on. Trump Tulsa rally, look at the audience, not many mask wearers, you might even get your butt kicked if you tried to wear one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 11:44 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I think a salient point here is that many of the protestors are liberals/progressives, not Trump followers, therefore wore masks at a much higher rate than similar conservative gatherings. A large group of protestors walked close to where we live in Seattle, almost every person had a mask on. Trump Tulsa rally, look at the audience, not many mask wearers, you might even get your butt kicked if you tried to wear one.
Yes those liberals were so well behaved compared to “Trumpers”

Old 07-08-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Yes those liberals were so well behaved compared to “Trumpers”

Not talking about behavior or comparison in that way, just mask wearing in public places and how it relates to covid spread.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:57 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
I'm pretty sure if any news network runs a story saying BLM protests are irresponsible and contributing to the spread of COVID, they would be canceled. Running a story saying that it didn't contribute? $$$ profit

Do you really think so? It took six shootings (two deaths) to shut down CHOP, and even then a bunch of people had to be arrested. The choppers didn't seem to care about danger there.

It took a horrible incident to stop the freeway protests/parties. The freeway dancers didn't seem to care about danger there, until . . .
BLM itself was not involved in the first protests. As of May 29 they were saying it was irresponsible and people should stay home. But the country exploded anyway.

This is from the Black Lives Matter Seattle-King County fb page:
Quote:
Our board of directors was initially conflicted about whether to boost these demonstrations, as your safety is of utmost importance. Ultimately, we decided that the situation is too dangerous for us to encourage greater attendance at these in-person protests. We live in a country that has lost more than 100,000 people to COVID-19. This virus has ravaged our communities in a way that largely mirrors the existing inequities and structural racism inherent in our healthcare systems. We refuse to encourage our community members to needlessly risk their lives and their health during this time when other avenues of action are available.
Obviously, no one listened.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:07 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Not talking about behavior or comparison in that way, just mask wearing in public places and how it relates to covid spread.
Not sure how much good some cloth bandannas did when “protesters” were packed in like sardines rioting and looting

Old 07-09-2020, 12:46 AM

351 posts, read 342,221 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that the protesters are wearing masks at high rates, but none of the social distancing guidelines aside from wearing a face covering can be effectively followed at any protest. It's against the 6 feet rule, it's against gathering in large crowds, it's against being out and about in public when COVID is at its peak, it's against everything that is being recommended by the CDC. And not a single news medium is brave enough to criticize them because they fear the backlash.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:49 AM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
Quote:
Mask wearing and being outside seems to have helped.
I was at CHAZ, and saw seom of the protests in downtown Seattle, and I'd say less than half the people were wearing masks. In fact, sometimes there were practically no people wearing masks.

That was a very selective picture they showed, and I don't think it was representative of most of the people at all.

I think the real take-away from this is that viruses don't live long in sunlight and in the air, and COVID-19 does not spread through casual conversation or the mere presence of others. As the doctors have said, over and over, the virus spreads when you get actual droplets of an infected person into your body - you eyes mouth, etc. And it has to be the droplets from their body, not a free-floating virus.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:18 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times

Old 07-09-2020, 08:19 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
I don't know about the OP's news sources but I've seen way too many maskless demonstrators in Minneapolis, Chicago and NYC and his attempt to make it Trumpian (post #21) is rather strange.

Unless those cities have become Trump strongholds that is.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I don't know about the OP's news sources but I've seen way too many maskless demonstrators in Minneapolis, Chicago and NYC and his attempt to make it Trumpian (post #21) is rather strange.

Unless those cities have become Trump strongholds that is.
It's not really a big reach man, come on. Trump has minimized the COVID threat, pushed for foolish reopening consistently and fomented a very real "mask rebellion". That's the main reason we have staggering numbers of cases (and escalating) compared to most Western countries. Yeah, there are some young liberal fools but in general, Dems believe (and act on) the belief that we have a real problem more than Repubs do. The ironic thing is that if Trump had taken the lead on the lock down, mask wearing, "I care enough about Americans to have you do this", then mixed in some anti China comments, our economy would be back rolling by now, our numbers way down and he would have been a shoo-in for re-election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area