Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:45 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,130,895 times

Advertisements

PLEASE KEEP THE "FREEZE" DISCUSSION IN THE PROPER THREAD!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 PM

3,956 posts, read 3,377,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
With all due respect I have lived and worked for various amount of time in London, Paris, Stockholm, Frankfurt, Atlanta, New York, Houston and Dallas and have traveled in Asia, Australia and most European countries.

Many, many national publications have written about the high quality of food in Seattle...
So you tell me, just to make an example, that in general Seattle food scene is on par with New York and Sydney?? or with Italy and France???

Just take fish for example....even if you go in a very high-end restaurant here the choice of fish is rather limited...Salmon, Halibut, Cod, Bass, Lobster, Prawns and the usual Calamari (not even properly cooked).

To get some decent Octopus, Swordfish, king sole, grouper, rock fish, baby sardines, red mullet, king prawns, baby squid and I may go on, I have to special order....if I can even get it....all stuff you can find at a fish market in New York

Never mind finding these in any menus in a restaurant, I asked sometimes to get blank stares in response...

How many type of Zucchini can you find even in high end grocery stores?? One....you know how many you can find in every fruit store in Italy?? 5 or 6 at minimum....same for Sydney or Paris...

Once I wanted to make a prickly pear macedoine and I had to special order from California....and what I got I had to throw it away....

When I order Pasta I have to ask to have it basically raw to have it cooked decently...

What about one of Tom Douglas restaurant making Tiramisu with Rhum and Philadelphia cream cheese??

When I want to have good Greek my only choice is Stepho's in Vancouver BC
The same when I need more particular groceries, like last week buying distilled anise..I have to go to Vancouver which, food wise, is light years ahead...

What about creeme brulee served with whipping cream and strawberry sauce??

What about seafood sauce served with liquid cream, raw broccoli and chicken...hmm yummy what a great combination....simply inedible...

If you want a decent gelato there is only one place in the entire city..Gelatiamo downtown, hopefully it will not close down like other 2 places....I resorted to make my own gelato with a machine I brought from Italy....

What about the pathetic Pastry Shops???...scones, cinnamon rolls, macaroons and few cakes (always the same)??

Look at what a pastry shop is supposed to be

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6862/pasticceria1px7.th.jpg (broken link)

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7914/pasticceria2in9.th.jpg (broken link)

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6954/pasticceria3gn6.th.jpg (broken link)

I may go on but I prefer to stop here...

I would LOVE to know who rated Seattle for food.....I'm not talking about ratings here...it's real life....

When our friends have the choice if to going out or eat at my house they always pick my cooking....

Last edited by saturno_v; 03-28-2008 at 10:19 PM..

Old 03-28-2008, 09:21 PM

522 posts, read 2,639,280 times
OMG those bakery pictures make me miss home. I have been searching for a bakery out here for 2 years and have yet to find one!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,104,125 times
Hmm...my oldest daughter wants to go to UW and be an internat'l chef. Would you say Seattle is not the best place for this? I want her to move to Dallas with us, but she has her heart set on this plan.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Hmm...my oldest daughter wants to go to UW and be an internat'l chef. Would you say Seattle is not the best place for this? I want her to move to Dallas with us, but she has her heart set on this plan.

IMHO, from a restaurant user perspective, Seattle is not even in the middle as city with good food.....in my experience....usually I "rate" the food myself without relying on official guides....

My wife, a long time Seattelite, told me that since we got married, her taste for food changed significantly and she is way more choosy now....

An other example...no decent pizza in the Puget Sound so far in my experience...the only ones acceptable are Via Tribunali (no reservations, parking nightmare, outrageously expensive and very snotty chef), La Vita e' Bella, (not bad at all on 2nd ave downtown) and barely passable The Rock in Lynnwood...
Even in this case..I often resort to make the pizza myself.

I'm still on the prowl for more good pizza places...

Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 PM

98 posts, read 103,857 times
Quote:
The Seattle area is very dependent on trade and happens to be in the most trade dependent state in the country, but we "lack focus or knowledge" of things outside our "immediate location."
Ew, not exactly speaking well for the ol' local economic planning commission, eh? Most trade dependent? Okay, aside from the ships bringing goods back and forth, how does the average Seattleite become more "worldly" due to this fact?

Quote:
Seattle area has two very large companies that employ literally thousands of people who travel the world and happen to be residents of the area, yet we "lack focus or knowledge" of things outside our "immediate location."
You mean all of those "transplants" who work for Boeing and Microsoft? We kind of know how you feel about folks from other places in general.

Quote:
is home to one of the largest and most highly regarded ballet companies in the United States, yet we are provincial.
Again, locals overrating the place: find me something that's not the Seattle Times or P-I that rates it as such.

Quote:
is home to one of the most highly regarded opera companies in the United States who's production of Wagner's complete ''Ring'' cycle rivals that of Bayreuth and is attended by people from dozens of countries, yet we are provincial.
The Seattle Opera is highly regarded by Seattleites. Yeah, the first U.S. Opera company to perform the Wagner's Ring Cycle except for the Metropolitan Opera in NY that did it in 1939.

Quote:
has a top-notch farmers market with amazing produce and seafood and foods from around the world, and is consistently rated as one of the top restaurant and food cities in the country, yet we settle for subway sandwiches and Teriyaki.
It appears so given the ratio of Teriyaki joints and Subways (the fast food place, not transit, that's too much to ask for) compared to "the farmer's market" (how does something as localized as a farmer's market propel a city to international status or demonstrate that it's not provincial?)

In fact, aside from coffee and farmer's market Seattle's not quite up to bragging rights (well, I guess #8 isn't so bad, at least in the top 10).

Unless, of course the people who rate things for this site just don't know what they're talking about (which is possible).

Also covers arts and music germane to you above topic:
America's Favorite Cities 2007 | Seattle | Travel + Leisure
Quote:
has a very literate and highly educated population, yet we "lack focus or knowledge" of things outside our "immediate location."
You know, that "best educated" thing comes from all of us transplants with degrees who moved in here. At least that's what they say.
We gave you the gift of good education statistics, yet drove up your home prices. Sort of a double edged sword, but take what you can get from it, eh?

The Seattle Times: Local News: Seattle ranks as nation's best-educated big city

Quote:
Does listing the above sound a bit ridiculous, probably,
yes.

Quote:
but no more ridiculous than saying “and their lack of focus or knowledge of things outside of their immediate location.”
I disagree

Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 PM

87 posts, read 302,789 times
Okay, the food is great in Seattle and so is the coffee. Anyone that's lived here and traveled knows it we've got those two things nailed. Friends, not too difficult to make. Employment is easy to find and well paid. Recreation, offers just about everything. Culture here takes a bit to get used too and some never do.

Now for the bad part (for me): The weather here, and for some of us, sucks. I hate the average 227 days of cloudiness per year. After 15 years here, I'll take 3 months of blazing sun/heat and moderate temps for the rest of the year over this. I'm just getting to the point in my life where I can move and get away from the clouds and rain without worrying about employment, family or other obligations. Time for a change.

In any case, no need to slam the Seattle area for my decision to move. Just time to move on. But, I'll never say never, I could be back in a few years with a good tan.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,500,173 times
Saturno,
"I'm still on the prowl for more good pizza places..."
Have you tried Tutta Bella in Columbia City?
I'll admit, I've been away from the east coast for a while and have acclimated to mediocre pizza, but Tutta Bella tasted pretty good to me.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Saturno,
"I'm still on the prowl for more good pizza places..."
Have you tried Tutta Bella in Columbia City?
I'll admit, I've been away from the east coast for a while and have acclimated to mediocre pizza, but Tutta Bella tasted pretty good to me.

Maybe I will try tomorrow and I will let you know....

Quote:
Okay, the food is great in Seattle and so is the coffee.
2PAK..Seattle did not get these 2 things nailed in my book....

Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,967,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
IMHO, from a restaurant user perspective, Seattle is not even in the middle as city with good food.....in my experience....usually I "rate" the food myself without relying on official guides....

My wife, a long time Seattelite, told me that since we got married, her taste for food changed significantly and she is way more choosy now....

An other example...no decent pizza in the Puget Sound so far in my experience...the only ones acceptable are Via Tribunali (no reservations, parking nightmare, outrageously expensive and very snotty chef), La Vita e' Bella, (not bad at all on 2nd ave downtown) and barely passable The Rock in Lynnwood...
Even in this case..I often resort to make the pizza myself.

I'm still on the prowl for more good pizza places...
Dude how can you say no good pizza! Have you tried Luciano's(spelling)????Its the best! And also Amante! Both will make pizza any way you like, which is awesome because they make me my pizza with Alfredo sauce, Turkey(delicious, tender turkey) and jalapenos lol. Great places. The tortellini at Luciano's is excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area