Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 08:17 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,676,690 times

Advertisements

I learned yesterday that the Issaquah city council is "discussing" a safe injection site.

I'm completely floored.

From various conversations over facebook it appears we would be the second injection site in the nation next to Seattle. A very unscientific and small poll suggest that half the population is supportive.

It astonishes me that we prohibit plastic grocery bags, but would condone heroin.

I am fairly certain we would sell our condo. This is not a process or an experience I wish to follow with Issaquah... so what are the options for living in a community without socially sanctioned heroin users?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 08:27 AM

905 posts, read 1,104,115 times
IIRC, Bellevue, and a number of south King County 'burbs (Kent, Auburn, Federal Way) have said no/banned safe injection sites.

I have a feeling (and would hope) Issaquah will follow in the footsteps of Bellevue.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,279,384 times
There has been a guy at the Issaquah Farmer's Market (Saturdays) collecting signatures to oppose these. Most cities have been discussing it at the council level, because the King County Executive has proposed on in "some other" city in the county besides one in Seattle.

Backers of safe drug-injection sites sue to block a public vote in King County | The Seattle Times

Old 09-13-2017, 01:58 PM

8,073 posts, read 8,378,646 times
They'd rather that addicts, who could be their sons or daughters, shoot-up in the bushes behind their house.

I don't think that a self-injection site is tantamount to "condoning heroin". My guess is that we'll have one somewhere in Seattle, to reduce harm (ODs) and facilitate treatment, before long. Suburban cities rushing to "say no" to something that isn't likely to happen in their confines anytime soon would be humorous if the "opioid epidemic", dealt not by the Mafia, but Big Pharma, weren't so tragic. On a per capita basis, ODs are happening at a higher rate in suburbs and rural areas than in urban areas.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/grap.../daily-chart-3

What price has Big Pharma had to pay? How many drug company executives have been jailed or imprisoned? None.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,358,532 times
I'll bet you a bag of black tar heroin that Issaquah will ban the safe drug injection sites also. I think they can't just say no without making the pretense of considering it. Renton just banned it, with the council voting unanimously.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:35 PM

4,917 posts, read 2,063,394 times
Sorry, but I'm pretty sure many of "us" don't want any type of "safe drug dens" near our home and our children... I'm far from a rich elitist or some pie in the sky dreamer who thinks that this is a good ideal. If the City of Seattle AND the voters wants to have these injections sites, fine, then have them, but don't expect the voters living outside of Seattle to support it since there a large proportion of average people of all colors and backgrounds think that this is a really bad ideal, which goes against many people's core values.

As for the statement of having/allowing your son and/or your daughter to "shoot up in the bushes," I live that nightmare day in and day out since my only son is addicted to heroin and has failed numerous treatment programs over the last 10 years... I do not wish this on anybody or any family since herion a destroyer of hope, dreams and life. I simply feel that throwing more gasoline on a fire isn't going to put this problem out.

No matter where Seattle stick these legalized Greg dens, property crime in the immediate.

If Seattle and King County really want to do something positive, use the money set aside for this failed policy, IMHO, and fund more beds for real drug treatment centers.

I do my best not to judge others for their beliefs and views. In return, I hope that others will do the same with me.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Sammamish banned them too, saying that whatever city doesn't ban them is going to be stuck with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area