Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 12:22 PM

545 posts, read 413,952 times

Advertisements

Murals? Well, we have the Gum Wall:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gum_Wall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,327,310 times
Uwajimaya Village Food Court in Chinatown at Uwajimaya supermarket has some reasonable dining options and there are a fair amount of places downtown where you can get good food specials during happy hour. Japonessa (across from 4 seasons hotel) has some good happy hour specials.

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 04-17-2017 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: add more information

Old 04-20-2017, 04:21 PM

8,189 posts, read 8,361,794 times
I was just back for a visit to Miami. Have you seen the Wynwood Walls murals? Amazing.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:46 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,046,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Thanks for the replies. I guess I expected murals, because they're popular in my city. I've read that Seattle is pretty Liberal, so I expected a lot of Art. Not every big city is the same. I'll try to remember to check in after the trip with some of our findings.
Seattle does well wth galleries and really well with theater but its museums aren't as good as in most major cities.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:53 AM

8,189 posts, read 8,361,794 times
Agreed waze, getting better though. The Paul Allen Collection at SAM right now is very much worth a visit. Although Seattle is a newer art museum and many of the exceptional pieces in the world weren't available for purchase, we do have the money to bring excellent visiting art exhibits here. Rumor is that Bill Gates for years has been anonymously accumulating amazing world famous paintings and is going to drop them on the museum one of these days, wouldn't be surprised is Bezos is buying too. I'm a fan of these too, have you been?

Frye Art Museum: Frye Art Museum
Seattle Asian Art Museum: Asian Art Museum
Wing Luke: Home > Wing Luke Museum
MOHAI Seattle: https://mohai.org
Burke at UW: Burke Museum

Old 04-25-2017, 05:49 AM

822 posts, read 552,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Also, we had a blast finding small pubs and hole-in-the-wall restaurants in D.C. just by walking around. What are some fun or delicious places that are cheap in the heart of downtown?

Thanks all.
My favorite hole-in-the-wall is Bakemans, on the Northside of Cherry Street, between 1st and 2nd. It's lunchtime only. Don't be discouraged by the long lines, they move fast! Google location is 47°36'10.71" N 122°20'00.55" W
Murals and cheap eats downtown-bakemans.jpg

Also, if you like murals, you might appreciate art glass. Seattle has a lot of it; one of my favorite places is Town Centre, on the first and second atrium levels. There are maybe 30 or 40 display cases of art, plus two huge Chihuly pieces. Also, the second level has a really nice public living room. It's at the canopy level of the downtown trees, and is a really nice place to rest. Town Centre is at the corner of 6th and Union.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:48 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,973,916 times
We just got back from our trip a few days ago. We had a blast and did a ton of stuff. We loved Chihuly Garden and Glass and the Argosy boat tour through the Ballard Locks. We also took a helicopter tour around Seattle, flying over Bill Gates' house, along the shoreline, and over the Seahawks stadium. We walked to the Space Needle, Great Wheel, the original Starbucks, the piers, Pike Place Market, the Museum of Pop Culture, the gum wall (residents I talked to didn't know about this), Fremont Troll, Gas Works Park, and took the ferry to Bainbridge Island.

We rode the Sound Light Link to and from the airport, and it was super easy. We walked all over downtown, even where there weren't any sights. I'm impressed with how easy it is to get around your city, and even the homeless people were polite. I like that many of them live in tents on green spaces along the highway, instead of under bridges and in doorways. In Memphis, the homeless people can be aggressive. I was amazed that most people will stand on a corner and wait for the crosswalk signal, even when cars weren't coming. In Memphis, people are always getting hit by cars, and they rarely use crosswalks. Buying a CityPass was a wise choice. Our favorite restaurant was TI22, around 5th St. The food and service were great and affordable.

I can see why Seattle is booming. Please appreciate all that your city has going for it.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:37 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,893,426 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit ... I grew up in Memphis. Yes, Seattle is quite different!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:32 PM

323 posts, read 450,539 times
Default Thanks for your trip report

Thanks for the report Geneyus. I hesitate to write recommendations because visitors don't usually return the favor with a report of their visit. Glad you had a good trip, hitting a lot of the sites. Any "small pubs" or "hole-in-the-walls" that you liked?

Old 05-01-2017, 06:07 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,973,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
Thanks for the report Geneyus. I hesitate to write recommendations because visitors don't usually return the favor with a report of their visit. Glad you had a good trip, hitting a lot of the sites. Any "small pubs" or "hole-in-the-walls" that you liked?
I didn't really find any pubs or interesting bars that stood out. We had dinner at one bar, but I couldn't tell you the name. We just ate at random places. I already said it, but my favorite restaurant was TI22. Good food, reasonable prices, and good service. If I lived there, I'd be a frequent visitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area