Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:17 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,554,629 times

Advertisements

Well, a Seattle native I am, and I grew up in Edmonds. Didn't date much in high school, then met a girl from Chicago in Edmonds when I was 20. She was also 20, both of our parents were divorced, she was searching for God and came from a Catholic family in Chi-Town. I was partying hardy and not really searching for God, and I grew up a Lutheran. I took my time, kept coming over to her Edmonds apartment - she worked with my sister at Stevens Hospital in Edmonds (now Swedish - Edmonds). I was persistent and soon we were inseparable. We married in the spring of 1980. Her zeal to learn more about God was contagious and we are now baptized members of the same denomination. One that requires study and dedication and involvement and commitment.

No, being a good Christian is not an easy task and being a good husband is not always easy. I think the reason I'm adding my story is the fact that I also noticed a thick attitude with women in the Pacific Northwest - early on. Of course I was interested in dating, I just wasn't willing to invest the time in to it - with women I felt were not...sincere types. When I met my wife, I met a woman who is kind, loving, loves her husband and loves God. And she's sincere. I am truly blessed with her and thank God often for her.

Good fortune, RotseCherut - and any others who are frustrated with the dating scene in Seattle. I hope it all works out for you. Keep a look out in Seattle for those from other areas - seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 08:23 PM

102,330 posts, read 108,547,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Well, a Seattle native I am, and I grew up in Edmonds. Didn't date much in high school, then met a girl from Chicago in Edmonds when I was 20. She was also 20, both of our parents were divorced, she was searching for God and came from a Catholic family in Chi-Town. I was partying hardy and not really searching for God, and I grew up a Lutheran. I took my time, kept coming over to her Edmonds apartment - she worked with my sister at Stevens Hospital in Edmonds (now Swedish - Edmonds). I was persistent and soon we were inseparable. We married in the spring of 1980. Her zeal to learn more about God was contagious and we are now baptized members of the same denomination. One that requires study and dedication and involvement and commitment.

No, being a good Christian is not an easy task and being a good husband is not always easy. I think the reason I'm adding my story is the fact that I also noticed a thick attitude with women in the Pacific Northwest - early on. Of course I was interested in dating, I just wasn't willing to invest the time in to it - with women I felt were not...sincere types. When I met my wife, I met a woman who is kind, loving, loves her husband and loves God. And she's sincere. I am truly blessed with her and thank God often for her.

Good fortune, RotseCherut - and any others who are frustrated with the dating scene in Seattle. I hope it all works out for you. Keep a look out in Seattle for those from other areas - seriously.
There are a lot of women like that in Seattle. I can't for the life of me figure out why you guys couldn't find them. Let me ask you, elko--was your wife hot? lol Or more average in appearance?

Old 01-22-2017, 08:30 PM

I gotta tell ya, Ruth, I am a good looking guy but I would say my problem was shyness in school - all the way up to and through high school. But I was very much interested in dating, though. By the time I was employed at Boeing in Everett at 20 I was ready to meet someone.

My wife was and still is, hot! She had a Dad who wasn't kind to women. So she probably held back a bit. She is pretty and shapely. We're older now - nearing retirement - so...you know!

Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I gotta tell ya, Ruth, I am a good looking guy but I would say my problem was shyness in school - all the way up to and through high school. But I was very much interested in dating, though. By the time I was employed at Boeing in Everett at 20 I was ready to meet someone.

My wife was and still is, hot! She had a Dad who wasn't kind to women. So she probably held back a bit. She is pretty and shapely. We're older now - nearing retirement - so...you know!
Wow, you scored a job at Boeing when you were 20? Did you even go to college? You're lucky. And yeah, that's why a lot of guys miss some of the sweet, kind, sincere women; because we don't stand out from the crowd. It sounds like your wife was exceptional in that regard, if a bit shy, due to her background. Congratulations! It just goes to show the shy ones can find happiness.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,016,452 times
What's up with Seattle and the PNW when it comes to dating? I've heard people mention how difficult dating is there, but none of the specifics.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:48 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,998,919 times
I think its all luck of the draw.

How do you explain Dana Delany being 60 never married. She is so beautiful, has meet a million people in her famous life and can't find one?

Some people are at the wrong place, wrong person their whole life. Some not so much.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I think its all luck of the draw.

How do you explain Dana Delany being 60 never married. She is so beautiful, has meet a million people in her famous life and can't find one?

Some people are at the wrong place, wrong person their whole life. Some not so much.
She can be very average-looking, especially when she wears glasses. Without makeup, she's not noticeable. But yeah, to some extent, luck plays a role.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:08 PM

Wow, you scored a job at Boeing when you were 20? Did you even go to college? You're lucky. And yeah, that's why a lot of guys miss some of the sweet, kind, sincere women; because we don't stand out from the crowd. It sounds like your wife was exceptional in that regard, if a bit shy, due to her background. Congratulations! It just goes to show the shy ones can find happiness.

The story behind the job scored at Boeing is this: my Mom - divorced from my Dad and dating, met a Supervisor in the Department (one of the Technical Engineering Dept.'s backed by the SPEEA Union) I would eventually get a job in...at a lounge in the Seattle area - Lynnwood IIRC. She mentioned I was looking for a good job.

"Can he draw? What schooling does he have?" he asked her.

She answered and he said to tell him to put in an application and I'll see if I can get him a job. It was in Technical Illustration - at that time called Production Illustration.

I did put that application in and I got the job. Boeing taught me their way to draw - I had enough Drafting in High School and I also went to Printing/Graphic Arts Tech. School at Washington Technical Institute in Seattle on 2nd and Blanchard. That school is no more. But I scored the job, met my wife right about the time I scored the job at Boeing. I was delivering pizzas for a place called Pizza Haven, and, kept that job for the first two weeks I started working at Boeing. Not a good idea - quit the pizza job right quick - Boeing was enough on 1st shift ta drain me!

Worked there for 20 years and earned 100% vesting for a pension. Thanks, Mom! RIP Mom May 2015

I think that my wife and I were both a tad shy and perhaps a tad...backwards, too. Shyness doesn't mean unattractive. I was very impressed and we did hit it off well! Also, 87112 also has a good point when he mentions luck 'a the draw. I met my wife ta be at the condo I lived in with my Dad and sister in Edmonds. It was my sister's condo and they worked together. This girl comes in with my sister one night to have some wine and listen to some tunes and I took one look at her and...well, yep.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:

The story behind the job scored at Boeing is this: my Mom - divorced from my Dad and dating, met a Supervisor in the Department (one of the Technical Engineering Dept.'s backed by the SPEEA Union) I would eventually get a job in...at a lounge in the Seattle area - Lynnwood IIRC. She mentioned I was looking for a good job.

Worked there for 20 years and earned 100% vesting for a pension. Thanks, Mom! RIP Mom May 2015

I think that my wife and I were both a tad shy and perhaps a tad...backwards, too. Shyness doesn't mean unattractive. I was very impressed and we did hit it off well! Also, 87112 also has a good point when he mentions luck 'a the draw. I met my wife ta be at the condo I lived in with my Dad and sister in Edmonds. It was my sister's condo and they worked together. This girl comes in with my sister one night to have some wine and listen to some tunes and I took one look at her and...well, yep.
Your family has been a source of luck to you. It's quite a coincidence that your mom met a Boeing super who needs a drafting person, and it just so happened that you had a drafting and drawing background. BTW, didn't they used to call it "draughting", or something like that? lol

Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 AM

8,191 posts, read 8,369,497 times
Ruth, "draughting" in Seattle has come to mean the fine art of creating conceptual drawings while simultaneously having a cold tasty pint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area