Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 06:33 PM

261 posts, read 221,436 times

Advertisements

I know I've made a few threads here about walkable places in Seattle or its surroundings to find a place to live and all have been great, thank you.

I just moved from the UK into Eugene OR but unfortunately that isn't working out and need to now, finally, move to Seattle.

Given my situation and other personal circumstances, I am hoping the nice folks here can help me understand or recommend me areas where:

- walkable or at least easily accessible to grocery stores
- not TOO expensive (around $2100/month and that's stretching it)
- in a decent neighbourhood

basically looking for a townhouse/house rental (2 bed or 1 bed + office space). I don't drive (yet) and that is really getting me down at this point in time and I am pretty much in anxious/panic mode because of my own situation here in Eugene OR.

I just realized I also need to buy my own furnishings too adding to the cost such as bed/dishes/microwave etc... (eek!).

Anyone know any places or companies who can help me find a place? Seattle Rental Group, last time I spoke around 2-3 weeks ago, said they had nothing.

Zillow shows a few places but not familiar with the areas and not even sure how far such places are from groceries/amenities.

Thank you all. Be safe in this winter and I hope you have a happy holidays. I appreciate anything and really sorry for the almost duplicate post again. I am in utter stress and panic mode. New city/country and moving around again, pretty much on your own, isn't fun. 2016 has been horrible for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 08:35 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Any idea where you'll work? Being close to that will be useful, and help you avoid having a car for as long as you want.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:58 PM

I work remotely pretty much so that's not the concern but as long as its a walkable area then all good

Old 12-20-2016, 10:40 PM

10 posts, read 10,143 times
With that price point and your space requirements, I imagine the best option for you would be the Columbia City area. It's the most walkable neighborhood south of downtown Seattle, has a really nice downtown area itself, and is a little bit cheaper than most other dense, in-city neighborhoods (for now, anyway). West Seattle near one of the Junctions could be a possibility, but prices are climbing there rather quickly.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:20 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
The Publix (across from King Station). The Anthem (Yesler + Boren/Broadway)
Both close to restaurants, food, transportation.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:55 PM

Thank you all.
Columbia city - how far is that from DT Seattle? (out of curiosity)
Do you know the best place to find rentals in those areas?

even if its a few blocks to get groceries - i'm all good for that. Just don't want it to be like a 30 minute walk to get to it.

how much roughly are we talking for a 2 bed place in those areas?

Last edited by lostsoul2015; 12-21-2016 at 12:04 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 12:04 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Lower Queen Anne: Apartments For Rent in Lower Queen Anne Seattle | Zillow

Old 12-21-2016, 12:20 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
I quickest transition would be to rent a small apartment in Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, Green Lake, or near California Ave in West Seattle. A commercial apartment would be easier to find and can take a large deposit if you do not yet have credit established in the U.S. My sister just rented a tiny house in Wallingford, 500 ft2, for 2K/month, but 8 other people also completed applications to get it -- she was selected because of who she knows and her perfect credit. An apartment will not be as competitive to obtain and are easier to find (more plentiful).

There are countless apartments with availability in these neighborhoods, I just checked. Use google maps to look at the surroundings. Don't choose anything on Aurora Ave, but otherwise these neighborhoods are safe, desirable and walkable.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 12-21-2016 at 12:32 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 12:23 AM

Thank you. I do have good credit and cash too if they need it. Ideally I just want to settle now than have to freakin' move again. I really cannot afford to do that again. If worst comes to worst, I will have to suck it up and do apartments but I really want to avoid it due to my large experiences in them.

CD: Thanks again. What is Lower Queen Anne like in terms of the neighbourhood?

Old 12-21-2016, 12:35 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
Thank you. I do have good credit and cash too if they need it. Ideally I just want to settle now than have to freakin' move again. I really cannot afford to do that again. If worst comes to worst, I will have to suck it up and do apartments but I really want to avoid it due to my large experiences in them.

CD: Thanks again. What is Lower Queen Anne like in terms of the neighbourhood?
Lower Queen Anne is great, very walkable but more urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area