Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 06:18 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times

Advertisements

If you bought property a while ago, you're doing great, as long as you can afford to pay your mortgage and taxes - if you're renting, maybe not so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 09:50 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volo-putz View Post
No place remains the same forever. Not even Bellingham. It's only a matter of time before you'll be looking to escape it the same as Seattle.
Without a doubt the same growth will spill into Bham once the waterfront cleanup is completed and tech moves in, which I'm looking forward to, but I'll sell my house and relocate to another sleepy liberal haven if traffic becomes anything akin to what has happened in Seattle.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:53 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
A question for all the "Back when I was young things were different!" people..

Are you the type of person who thinks they're special because their mom happened to give birth to them in Seattle, or are you the type who moved to the city and cry because they can't close the door behind them?

Old 11-22-2016, 10:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post

Are you the type of person who thinks they're special because their mom happened to give birth to them in Seattle, or are you the type who moved to the city and cry because they can't close the door behind them?
Neither. Things were different when we moved here in 1993, and while we have seen a lot of forests clear cut for new developments, and a steady increase in traffic it's still so much better than where we came from (S.F. Bay Area) that we have no complaints. The high rent and home prices result in better schools, and less crime. The recent demand has meant that our $190k home is now worth $700k, obviously increasing our taxes but when we retire and sell in a few years we'll be able to pay cash in a lower priced more rural area a couple of hours away.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post

2nd type, for sure.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Neither. Things were different when we moved here in 1993, and while we have seen a lot of forests clear cut for new developments, and a steady increase in traffic it's still so much better than where we came from (S.F. Bay Area) that we have no complaints. The high rent and home prices result in better schools, and less crime. The recent demand has meant that our $190k home is now worth $700k, obviously increasing our taxes but when we retire and sell in a few years we'll be able to pay cash in a lower priced more rural area a couple of hours away.
That's the perk.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:50 AM

461 posts, read 554,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I lived in Seattle from 2012-2015. Just recently visited and I was shocked at how much it's grown since 2015. I also noticed more East Coasts accents. Not sure if thats recent or if theyve always been there and I haven't noticed it back when I livdd there. Seattle is a lot more East Coast-influenced than i originally thought.

The same apartment I rented back in 2014 is now advertised for $300 more than what I paid.
Good news for me if I move to WA. I have a heavy Boston accent, I live in FL right now though... Why would I come? more job opportunities AND everywhere is getting more expensive even Florida if you're living anywhere good so, might as well pick a quality city even if the cost is slightly higher.. That's my way of seeing it or at the very least, Olympia anyhow.. a smaller city not too too far. And one more reason why I come.. my mom and stepdad I have a feeling will relocate there from CA and it be easier for them as they're already on that coast opposed to some craphole in the Carolinas or something or TN.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,331 times
It may come down to adapting to the changes. This is easier done depending on finances and career.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Interesting article related to this in the Times:

Newcomers pour into King County; Washingtonians quietly exit | The Seattle Times

Old 11-28-2016, 09:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I think these stats are quite interesting, but does not take into consideration of many moving into Eastern Washington. The Tri-Cities are growing big-time and many are coming from the Seattle CSA. Housing is about 30-35% of what Seattle offers, and 40-50% of most suburbs. Plus the weather is a lot sunnier and warmer most of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area