Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 10:22 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times

Advertisements

I find Kent to be a fun place to visit. It's one of the most ethnically diverse places around here. Lots of great, cheap ethnic restaurant holes in the wall. Mexican, Middle Eastern, Indian, Afghani( awesome food). There's a hot dog bar with microbrew beers. A Middle eastern bakery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 05:57 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I find Kent to be a fun place to visit. It's one of the most ethnically diverse places around here. Lots of great, cheap ethnic restaurant holes in the wall. Mexican, Middle Eastern, Indian, Afghani( awesome food). There's a hot dog bar with microbrew beers. A Middle eastern bakery.
this is what i'm looking forward to, I'm from a small town in GA with no options to try new foods.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Kent may be one of the first Seattle suburbs that gentrifies. Really. It was fun to lampoon it on Almost Live in the 80's, but this inner-suburb could become great in the next decade (s).

Old 11-14-2016, 07:33 PM

To expand on...Kent is perfectly situated for gentrification in the older neighborhoods. I think it is important to remember that Kent built many new homes in the 50's and 60's. Can these neighborhoods come back? Sure. Also, Kent is positioned to become an urban center. The council will have to approve new height regulations, but this is certainly going to happen, if it hasn't already.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:38 PM

516 posts, read 429,513 times
Stay away from wa state. We are too crowded. Go to Oklahoma or somewhere that isn't populated.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:12 PM

blah, blah, blah...

Old 11-14-2016, 08:39 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
this is what i'm looking forward to, I'm from a small town in GA with no options to try new foods.
I remember that about the Midwest and upper New York state, too, growing up and grad school respt. Devil to find good Thai or Mexican, though it existed if you looked long enough but was never convenient. At-all.

The person you quoted is certainly on the money RE Afghani food, there is a weekly fair in Fremont that often has a vendor as one of (very) many examples of interesting ethnic food in the area. I'd never had that until here.

South Indian (really Tamil) place in Kirkland, just down the street, is equally interesting. I've been to south India so knew going in I'd like it, three or so years ago when they opened. The owner wanted to talk about my experiences in Chennai in-particular, first time I popped in. Recently, he setup a takeout meal for me and my spice-shy (now-ex) GF, and he got it just right.

See, that's the thing around here: talk to some of these rather exotic restaurateurs, they'll make you something interesting or special. The Korean or JPN guys...I'm not sure which, haven't asked them...at my favorite quick sushi in Juanita always make me something special (sashimi) if I just ask, depending on what they have going that day.

Definitely an upside of Seattle. Just don't go downtown and order a Big Mac at the 'Arches at 3rd and Pine when there are 10x interesting places requiring just a little adventurousness-in-dining within literally 1000'.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:03 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
Stay away from wa state. We are too crowded. Go to Oklahoma or somewhere that isn't populated.

We've been cheering VirtualErik on for several months or more in his quest to come to Seattle. He's got all this stuff lined up and let's don't rain on his parade.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:52 AM

202 posts, read 240,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
I commuted from Marysville to the Interbay area for 10+ years until 2012. Is Sounder an option since you're in Mukilteo? Also, look into other modes such as vanpools. I was on a CT vanpool for most of those years. Better than a bus, not quite as good as driving your own car, but you share driving responsibilities and if you're fortunate enough to be on a van where everyone works at the same place, you don't spend time going to pick others up. Just a thought...
Good idea. Yeah, he's hoping to get something where h can take Sounder, etc. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2016, 01:58 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
We've been cheering VirtualErik on for several months or more in his quest to come to Seattle. He's got all this stuff lined up and let's don't rain on his parade.
Thank you! i'll get enough rain from the sky as it is lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area