Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:14 PM

209 posts, read 820,719 times

Advertisements

Well, Spring is on it's way and so are the potential buyers! I went around to several open houses in the Seattle area today and noticed a substantial increase in open house traffic.

Looks like the Seattle market is gaining strength as Spring approaches and interest rates are still relatively low. If you are still on the fence might be worth your while to get out there and pick up a deal.

If you are a "permanent renter" and real estate basher please don't bother posting your negative doom and gloom dribble. The Seattle market is perking up and will leave you all as permanent renters at the mercy of your greedy landlords.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:28 PM

142 posts, read 558,422 times
Can't afford to buy, but have to agree with you about the landlords. They are indeed greedy!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:24 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,830 times
Glsd to see the market is perking up. Not worried about our greedy landlord. Our lease states what he can increase the rent each year. We had that worked in just in case the market awakened for our last years out here!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 AM

506 posts, read 2,575,435 times
The weather was great so that always helps getting people out and about!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:38 AM

1,684 posts, read 2,711,210 times
We go to open houses for fun sometimes even though we own our own home. It's interesting to see what people are asking for places and what's out there.

Glad the market is picking up. Good luck to all.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:07 PM

327 posts, read 963,267 times
I think the improvement in the weather is the main reason for the upswing in open house attendees....or people are curious about what the prices are like. Even we took advantage of the nice weather to look at some homes recently. Prices are down, but still too high. Now that mortgage rates are going up due to inflation, I think housing is still going to be hosed until 2009 or further.

After talking with the Realtors, it seems like most people are feeling the same way about it (i.e. buyers unsure about market stability, prices too high, can't qualify for a loan, people don't have $50-100K in liquid assets for a down payment, etc...).

I'm not buying because we're leaving Seattle. If you're not planting roots for 10/20/30 years, then don't buy. If you're here for keeps and don't want to wait for prices to drop further, then by all means....although I think you could wait and get a better deal. Paying higher rent for another year will be much cheaper if you can buy when prices are 5% less than today's price. I just don't think prices have hit rock bottom just yet.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 PM

9 posts, read 26,496 times
I'd much rather pay a mortgage than pay rent! Why pay someone else and be guaranteed to lose your money? Even in a down market where your house is losing value, you are STILL better off buying in lots of situations. Consider the mortgage interest and property tax deductions and the fact that you're paying down your principal rather than throwing money at some landlord. Think about it...

And in response to the original post - yup, open house traffic will probably continue to increase for the next few months as people start looking to move before the summer.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:10 PM

158 posts, read 405,615 times
Default Open house strategy ...

I think most people and most real estate agents would agree that open houses attract more potential sellers than buyers. We have attended open houses when we were getting ready to sell a home. Open houses are a good way to assess your own property against a property that has been prepped for public show. They are also good for evaluating potential sales agents. Open houses very rarely may result in a sale.

If you don't believe me, just attend a few open houses next weekend. You will be pounced upon by agents who will ask if you are interested in selling and if you have an agent in mind. It's all about generating inventory for future listings.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:13 PM

9 posts, read 26,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugetsoundman View Post
I think most people and most real estate agents would agree that open houses attract more potential sellers than buyers. We have attended open houses when we were getting ready to sell a home. Open houses are a good way to assess your own property against a property that has been prepped for public show. They are also good for evaluating potential sales agents. Open houses very rarely may result in a sale.

If you don't believe me, just attend a few open houses next weekend. You will be pounced upon by agents who will ask if you are interested in selling and if you have an agent in mind. It's all about generating inventory for future listings.
What you're saying is often true. No argument. However, it's not uncommon for an agent to bring their buyer through a number of open houses to help them narrow the search - especially when working with a new client. That type of showing can and does result in sales.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,353,923 times
I am a real estate agent, and I look at the stats on a daily basis. The inventory of unsold homes in the Seattle area is growing on a daily basis, so, are things picking up?
There's always more interest in the spring, and more inventory...Most real estate agents will always tell you to buy now, and I'm not telling you not to, but I really don't think you're going to miss out by waiting a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area