Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:49 AM

65 posts, read 97,283 times

Advertisements

During my time living here in Seattle, I've noticed that many women appear to be quite tall and athletic. This is quite refreshing to be honest.

Maybe my observations aren't unusual, but I've rarely noticed this living and traveling the U.S. Midwest, Southern States & Latin America. The opposite is more prevalent with stature and obesity. I'm sure it's a combination of things: culture, lifestyle, diet, etc. Then again, how would this affect height? European influence in Seattle?

**Forgive me if this comes off as a sweeping generalization, as it's not my intention **
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
How long have you been here? From April-October Seattle has a lot of tourists from other states and countries, so any
observations of this nature can be thrown off. Seattle had a large influx of Scandinavians which was as high as 8% of the population in the early 1900s, and many settled in the Ballard area. They are typically some of the taller people in the world, which I suppose could have had an effect over generations, but with so many recent immigrants from other states/countries since the 1980s that has to be diluted. Younger residents are very much into outdoors and exercise,
which could account for the more athletic builds, compared to the more rotund residents found in other places. As I walk to work in the mornings 5:30-7am Alaskan Way is full of joggers all year, rain or shine.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:15 PM

1,155 posts, read 961,676 times
I've often mused about the height of the young women I see walk out of my child's high school at the dismissal bell while I wait for my child in the parking lot. Many towering lovely young girls, much taller than the girls I grew up with. And they're not even finished growing!

Old 10-05-2015, 12:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Wealthy people tend to be taller, on average. Seattle is a very rich town.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Things come big in the Northwest.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:12 PM

23,440 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Seattle resident here. 5'4".

Old 10-05-2015, 02:35 PM

Well, traveled back and forth to Seattle for 18 months before becoming a permanent resident in June 2015. So my observations are surely skewed .

Again, I'm just not used to this yet. It really became apparent the more time I spent around Green Lake and The University District. Gulp.....that's about all I better say on the matter.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:53 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Mainly northern European stock (Scandinavian, English, German, etc.). Fewer southern European/Mediterranean types (Italians, Spanish, Greeks, etc.). Better nutrition - milk (calcium), protein, etc. Asians bring down the average, but even they are having taller children, due to diet changes (more milk and meat).

Old 10-05-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Mainly northern European stock (Scandinavian, English, German, etc.). Fewer southern European/Mediterranean types (Italians, Spanish, Greeks, etc.). Better nutrition - milk (calcium), protein, etc. Asians bring down the average, but even they are having taller children, due to diet changes (more milk and meat).
Very logical, yet funny response as I read it the first time (especially this: "bring down the average"). Speaking of........ I did a double take walking campus because there were Asian males taller than me (I stand a little over 6'1").

I know a lot of people complain about Seattle and some of the misgivings with population influx, but outside of maybe Chicago in the Midwest.....this is such a culturally rich city.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:08 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,451 times
Let's see.

1. Outdoorsy/athletic tend to be taller simply due to exercising at an early age
2. Viking roots
3. Many wealthy families. Wealthier = better physique due to natural selection, nutrition, etc.
4. Healthy diet
5. Always reaching up to catch any sun out of desperation
6. Always reaching up to catch breaths in crowded parties, also out of desperation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area