Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:34 PM

176 posts, read 299,246 times

Advertisements

We have been contemplating the idea of buying a new home in Carnation due to the current state of the real estate market and our desire for a bigger home. There is such low inventory that many homes are going above asking, and we've had to widen our housing search to the outer parts of the Eastside (Duvall, Carnation, Snoqualmie).

There is a new community being built in that area and they are in the $500K-600K range (above our comfortable budget) and are wondering if anyone has any information about the small town and surrounding area. We've been in the area several times (Remlinger Farms is a staple) and noticed some of the areas to be a little run-down, but overall has that "small town" touch. We'd be moving from Downtown Bellevue (we know, we know) and would be giving up a lot of conveniences for a bigger home. We both will be commuting to Redmond and have family in the Redmond/Woodinville area.

Thoughts on the town? surrounding area? what are the people like? are we really crazy?

Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 04:41 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,291,410 times
There is a whole lot to like about Carnation, I have a few clients who have moved there. The commute to Redmond is reasonable, as you have pointed out you get much more home for the money. To characterize the people, they range from tech millionaires to rednecks with pit bulls to groovy organic farmers. When they all get together, it is fun to watch . Here is a neat link to some history of the area: http://tolthistoricalsociety.org/

Old 08-05-2015, 05:01 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
Have you thought about renting there for a while to see if you like it? That seems like a pretty drastic move to go to an area you're unfamiliar with. Nothing against carnation specifically but those rural areas aren't getting any more convenient to get to and from. If your older, empty nesters I guess having two commutes from there wouldn't be as bad, but if both of you are that far away from your kids most of the time that seems like a pain.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:07 PM

48 posts, read 57,693 times
You may want to check the flood plain maps for those areas before deciding on a house to buy.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:30 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,949 times
I helped Carnation through the growth management process; we were the first city in Washington to adopt a comprehensive plan under the state Growth Management Act.

Carnation has a split personality - low/no growth advocates v. pedal-to-the-metal types. The town's growth potential is seriously limited by floodplain (and floodway - there's a difference) geography, as well as its long-standing problem of sewer capacity. (The city has had sewers for only a few years.)

The commute to Redmond can actually be icky - SR 203 can be flooded here and there, the Tolt Hill Road is twisty and slow, and Duvall has grown to the point where the Novelty Hill road around the big subdivisions can get pretty jammed too. Of course the commute is doable, but it's nothing to sneeze at.

Lots of kids, the old-timers are dying out. You'll spend a lot of time in your car going shopping or running errands. But if all that's worth it for more house, go for it.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:41 PM

731 posts, read 935,284 times
Just consider one thing... If real estate prices go through a decline again, like in 2008, property that is further from the city falls further and faster. Not a big deal if you want to live there for 10 years, but if you have any inclination of selling sooner, it's a big consideration - someone else has to want to pay top dollar for your home.

I'm not putting down the idea at all, I will just second the idea of renting first to make sure it's the town for you. Also, as someone else said, it isn't getting any easier to get in and out of those rural areas, if the city is your destination. Can you even do a short term (air bnb, etc) rental to experience it for a month or two?

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-05-2015, 07:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I lived there for about 6 months and had relatives there several years, near Lake Langlois. They never got flooded at their home, but did get stuck in several times when the Tolt flooded at Told Hill and 203, the Snoqualmie in Fall City, or both. I don't remember that happening in the last few years. Also, avoid Tolt Hill Road in snow, it gets nasty. It is a strange mix of people, but it seems like in town the people you run into more of the redneck types, while the others must shop on the way home from work in Redmond. If you have kids in school, that will be a significant letdown. Otherwise, it's a beautiful place to live. We had a beaver pond behind the house, saw bears, bats at night, and lots of deer.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,432 times
If you are talking about the neighborhood I think you are referring to (behind the Riverview Learning Center) then you would be walkable to downtown and close to walking trails, parks and the library! There isn't a lot of traffic out there, so you aren't really that far away from Seattle or Issaquah (minute wise). My advice would be to walk around the town/neighborhoods and spend some time at the library or market to see if you like the feel of the town. Overall, I think the town is pretty relaxed and friendly. Check out Today's Menu - Dog Mountain's Farm to Table The Farmers Market http://carnationfarmersmarket.org/ and/or Sandy's Espresso sometime when you are there. Note that every Wednesday at noon, the warning system plays a test message in Carnation: Tolt Dam--Seattle Public Utilities
Carnation and the surrounding areas are beautiful and peaceful. For that price range, Duvall, Snoqulamie/Snoqualmie Ridge and North Bend are worth looking at too, imo. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:09 PM

348 posts, read 372,122 times
I grew up the Snoqualmie Valley and still live here. For a family looking for a regular home I'd WAY choose Snoqualmie Ridge over any other upper or lower Sno Valley town.

Pros: better commute (to Redmond and everywhere on the Eastside), better selection of home type, better community features (YMCA, parks, restaurants, stores, etc.), better schools, closer to the Eastside, zero flooding problems.

Cons: typical with any master planned community; monolithic culture, HOA fees, small lots, traffic on surface streets during rush hour, prices could plummet further than the average in a downturn.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:55 PM

262 posts, read 307,569 times
I like Snoqualamie Ridge, too, but that's quite a commute to Redmond.

I would choose Duvall over Carnation -- just a bit more to choose from there in the way of shops, eateries and medical facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area