Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2006, 10:32 AM

25 posts, read 162,930 times

Advertisements

My family & I are contemplating a move to the Dallas area from the Seattle area. I’m looking for some insight from someone who has done the opposite – Dallas to Seattle. What can you tell me about the social and weather differences? The reason for our relocation is that I suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and need to be somewhere sunnier. There is a job opportunity for us in Dallas. I know it is sunnier in Dallas but is the humidity in the summer unbearable? What about outdoor recreation – camping, hiking, that sort of thing? Are people in Dallas as environmentally conscious as the people in Seattle? Anything you can share about the diffences that you experience are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 05:49 PM

218 posts, read 1,487,735 times
You should definitely visit Dallas in tornado season - between June and Sept - that's when the humidity is up. Can't say its unbearable, but it's different than the Pacific Northwest. Lived in both, 16+ years each. My problem is not SAD but Asthma. The humidity in both places was harder on me than I realized.

We were transferred to Tucson, AZ a few years ago (not our choice, but required) and it turned out to be a godsend - the dry air here is much better for my specific need. That little tidbit of info. doesn't help you much, but it gives you perspective of "where I'm coming from".

On the environmental issues: You might find it hard to see anything environmentally conscious about Big-D (Dallas). Hopefully, that has changed a bit since we left 6 years ago, but we had a hard time getting recycle pickup set-up and consistent in our little neighborhood when we were there.
We lived on the northwest side, in the Lewisville, Highland Village, Flower Mound area.

Camping & hiking I found very difficult in north Texas. There is no BLM land in Texas - or very very little. It's the land of big ranch owners and big business.
We did escape to the Glenrose, TX area now and then, also Possum Kingdom Lake just to hang out for the day (both west of Dallas a couple hours). The mosquitoes are killer in Texas, at least they were for me. We didn't camp in Texas at all, save a stay or two at a KOA Kampground cabin near Austin in the hill country.

I have people close to me with SAD, and I hope your new environment in Dallas will help - it should - gray skies are nearly non-existant.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:40 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,971,478 times
The things that could make a difference are the brutal summer with long stretches of high temps and higher than comfortable humidity. Dallas itself does not have a highly rated school system. The city struggles with a city council system that is in constant conflict with serious racial tension. And Texas, although it does not have an income tax, has high property and sales taxes. In Dallas the taxes will cost you approximately $2800 per $100K in appraised value, much higher than Washington. Also plan to use twice as much electricity because of the AC at twice the rate per KWH.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:44 AM

38 posts, read 139,709 times
I will be moving from the Dallas area to Seattle. I'll share my opinion of Dallas rather bluntly. I lived most of my life in Wash, DC area (Fairfax). We moved here in 1991. I've lived in the most affluent areas, University Park and middle income areas, North Dallas, Lake Highlands....From the moment we arrived in 1991 July I tried hard to enjoy Dallas, but I simply could not. Nature here in Dallas is an "intrusion". Fire ants make it impossible to sit in the grass. The temp. from May to Sept is unbearable. Count on living in a "refridgerator" for at least 5 mos. of the year.
It is one of the biggest regrets of my life that I raised my children in Dallas. Kids sit in the house and play video games all day, go to movies etc. Adults eat (more restaurants here per capita than anywhere else in the US) and it is the bible belt remember so church generally is about morality and "thou shall do and don't do"........I despise it here. Shopping is great that much I will say. People told us "you'll only grow old in Dallas".....I wish I had listened I recommend the Flagstaff area....if you want dry heat....or the east coast or even mid west.....anywhere but Dallas.....just say NO! There is sun elsewhere.....Boise, Idaho....Chicago even...also I believe the divorce rate is the highest in the US....currently at 65% in Dallas....

Last edited by Elyse33; 11-15-2006 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: Addition of info

Old 11-15-2006, 01:46 PM

25 posts, read 162,930 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I wish I had a choice of where we could move but because of my husbands field we are very limited. Right now the only escape from the gray Seattle sky is Dallas. We are going for a visit in Dallas for a few days after Thanksgiving. I am very skeptical but also need to get some more sunshine. I homeschool my kids so they will not be subject to public school. I have a neighbor who moved here 2 years ago after 5 years in Dallas. He said the 3 things you'll have to get used to are: the humidity, conservative christian mentality and everything being about sports. That probably sums it up pretty well.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 PM

18 posts, read 173,105 times
I was born and raised in Dallas; moved to LA about 20 years ago; and am now planning a move to Washington. What everyone has posted about Dallas is exactly as I remember it. But one thing I always hated and the reason I could never go back is that Dallas is as flat as a pancake for as far as the eye can see. No real hills, no mountains, no nothing to break up the long expanses of concrete except for the downtown skyline. Not much water...not much greenery. I would think that would be rather difficult to get used to after living in Seattle.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:38 PM

38 posts, read 139,709 times
Dear Dallasbound,

I was very harsh in my criticism of Dallas, so much of relocation is personal. There are some lovely places here....The Dallas Arboretum....If you homeschool I would encourage you to consider "Lakewood" . It is the most environmentally concious neighborhood here. Also there is a huge homeschool support in Dallas. Dallas is beautiful....near whiterock Lake...there are cyclists there regularly and even Kyack ?sp...see we can't even spell it in dallas, lessons around the lake. This would all be in the Lakewood area.....I think you would enjoy it there....

If you look for the good you'll find it and bloom where you are planted....

Best of luck,

Allison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area