Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 11:26 AM

6 posts, read 7,402 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some advice on Commuting into the Renton, WA 98057 area near Black River forest. My office will be in this location. I will be relocating with my family including Two kids

We are looking in the Renton, Maple Valley, Kent, Covington and Auburn areas. The need for decent schools and relatively normal pricing for rent plays a big factor.

My work hours will be Monday through Friday, In early around 6.30-7am and Leave around 5.30 or so. My office location seems to be nestled between the I5/405 but for the eastside locations we are looking to move too wouldn’t 169 or 167 be the best option? How bad do these route gets backed up? I figured I could hopefully avoid most of it in the AM commute but would be in the mix going home. How bad am I looking in terms of commute times? Is 169 any better than 167?

Our preference is Maple Valley OR Auburn. Is there even a commuter option from these areas into Renton, I know the sounder train from Auburn can get you into Downtown Seattle.

I would even consider Puyallup or Bonney due to the decent schools but I think Traffic could be awful even though its only 10 miles further than the other locations.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,356 times
A friend who lives in Auburn was over yesterday, and we were talking about what a parking lot 167 is during anything resembling rush hour. I have less personal experience with it, but have driven it a few times during afternoon rush hour and it was awful. The backup just to get on 167 going south was really long. To me, it felt worse than I-5, which is bad enough. (The frontage road that ran along most of the highway seemed to have little to no traffic, however.) My friend said it is always like that and she absolutely hates having to drive on it.

Far more knowledgable and experienced people will weigh in and give you better information, but since we were just discussing the Auburn/Renton drive on 167, I thought I'd share that.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
All routes in the area are backed up every day, bad in the morning, terrible in the afternoon. The worst I have found to be I405 between Bellevue and Renton, 2nd is 167. It does have a toll lane that you can use to breeze through but it will cost you. Using 169 is a better option but not much. Your morning commute will be just as the backup starts, not nearly as bad as 6:30-7 and later. The train doesn't stop in Renton, but there is bus service all around. You might just have to drive to a park & ride as I do and may have a short walk at the Renton end. When you consider a house/apartment, plug in the address, the work address and time of day to see the routes and times. Sound Transit has mostly "express" buses for commuters with fewer stops.

King County Metro Transit Trip Planning
Trip Planner - SoundTransit

Old 08-27-2014, 01:12 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
169 does get backed up very well, it got to the point I'd forgo the 169 option and use Petrovitsky Rd or 192nd instead. If your job is nestled between i5 and 405, you probably could get by without using 167/169 with the Maple Valley, Covington.

As for the Sounder Commuter, from Auburn to Renton, you could get off at the Tukwila Station, but that leaves an issue how to get from the station to your work. It's roughly 2 miles... I suppose you could bike the rest of the way?

Old 08-27-2014, 01:33 PM

[quote=Inkpoe;36260601]169 does get backed up very well, it got to the point I'd forgo the 169 option and use Petrovitsky Rd or 192nd instead. If your job is nestled between i5 and 405, you probably could get by without using 167/169 with the Maple Valley, Covington.

There is viable surface street options between these locations? When i say viable i mean will the 18 - 20 mile commute be within an hour traveling time?

My office location is about a block from the 405 and a mile or 2 east of the I-5

Old 08-27-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
All routes in the area are backed up every day, bad in the morning, terrible in the afternoon. The worst I have found to be I405 between Bellevue and Renton, 2nd is 167. It does have a toll lane that you can use to breeze through but it will cost you. Using 169 is a better option but not much. Your morning commute will be just as the backup starts, not nearly as bad as 6:30-7 and later. The train doesn't stop in Renton, but there is bus service all around. You might just have to drive to a park & ride as I do and may have a short walk at the Renton end. When you consider a house/apartment, plug in the address, the work address and time of day to see the routes and times. Sound Transit has mostly "express" buses for commuters with fewer stops.

King County Metro Transit Trip Planning
Trip Planner - SoundTransit
Thank you for the Links.

Upto $9 to use the toll lane.. Ouch, That would add up quickly!!

Old 08-27-2014, 01:39 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
So if you want good schools, a commute not too horrible to the Black River Park area, and fairly reasonable rents, what about:
1. The part of Renton in the Kent school district where the kids go to either Northwood or Ridgewood Elementary schools? Back road options are available, and those schools are great.
2. Kennydale, in Renton. Renton has a lot of pretty bad/mediocre schools, but Kennydale's really good. Maplewood Heights is also within the Renton district and is a great school.
3. That part of the eastern Renton Highlands within the Issaquah School district, and also the nearby city of Newcastle.

Metro now has the Rapid Ride F? Line, from Burien to Renton. It has a stop at the Tukwila Sounder station, and comes pretty close to the Black River office buildings area. Metro also runs the 143 route from Maple Valley into Seattle, and stops in Renton. There are Metro buses from Auburn to Renton also, but I forget the route number( 167? 169?). I live in Renton and used to take the 143 into Seattle. Friendly folks on the bus from Maple Valley.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:54 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
[quote=twopoint4;36260950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
169 does get backed up very well, it got to the point I'd forgo the 169 option and use Petrovitsky Rd or 192nd instead. If your job is nestled between i5 and 405, you probably could get by without using 167/169 with the Maple Valley, Covington.

There is viable surface street options between these locations? When i say viable i mean will the 18 - 20 mile commute be within an hour traveling time?

My office location is about a block from the 405 and a mile or 2 east of the I-5
Driving time from Maple Valley (depending on where in Maple Valley) to Black River via Petrovitsky will usually take 35-45 minutes. Petrovitsky gets busy too, but not standstill busy like 405 or 167. 169 is a little better than 167 at rush hour, but still should be avoided if possible.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:25 PM

[quote=Ira500;36261283]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twopoint4 View Post

Driving time from Maple Valley (depending on where in Maple Valley) to Black River via Petrovitsky will usually take 35-45 minutes. Petrovitsky gets busy too, but not standstill busy like 405 or 167. 169 is a little better than 167 at rush hour, but still should be avoided if possible.
Thank you for your very informative information. I would like to live in Renton in the Kent school district. I may get lucky but the cost in rent seems alot more from our research.

35-45 Minute commuting for me would be very tolerable to fine., I currently spend an hour in Rush hour here driving 35 miles and have been doing so for years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area