Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 9,945 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking to move to Seattle from Charlotte, specifically the Belltown area (around 2nd and Stewart Street). I've heard mixed reviews about the area but it's mostly posts from years ago. From what I understand, crime used to be bad in that area but it's getting better. I'm a 27-year-old female and I just want to read opinions from people in the area. I know it's a bit more expensive but I've read housing in downtown Seattle is typically expensive.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,909,071 times
It's centrally located, but Belltown is part of a bar district so you're going to get that kind of crowd, naturally. There are also homeless lurking about since you're essentially in downtown.

As an anecdote, my friend moved from Southern California last year to Belltown to work for Amazon. The moment his lease was up, he moved to Queen Anne. He said the bar crowd and transients became annoying fast. He is much happier living in Queen Anne now.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 AM

GatsbyGatz: Thank you so much! Do you know if the crime getting better in Belltown?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,936 posts, read 81,996,937 times
I have not noticed any improvement though it's been a few months since I have heard of a shooting or stabbing there. I walk through Belltown daily at 6:30am and 3:00pm. Almost every day I see broken car glass where someone has done a
smash & grab, many homeless people asleep in the morning, panhandling in the afternoon. Maybe 1-2 times a week I will see the police actively arresting someone. From the news and local people I know here, the worst crime is after closing outside the bars.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:35 PM

16 posts, read 72,060 times
I live in Belltown Currently, 3rd and bell, and while it is louder than I am used to living in the suburbs of Dallas the area feels safe to me, I don't have an issue with the crowds or homeless. I wouldn't deter anyone from living in the area. I would say if you can take a walk around the area and get a feel.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:05 PM

Thank you both so much. I think walking around and getting a feel of the area is a good idea.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:18 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,798,244 times
Quote:
Thank you both so much. I think walking around and getting a feel of the area is a good idea.
I used to live DT, not far from Belltown, and I'd say make sure you do so at different times of day and night. The biggest problems are when the bars close, but be sure you can tolerate it on Fri and Sat as well. At first the energy is really fun, but after a few negative encounters, and having to be mentally 'on guard' every time you walk out your door - it gets old. I never actually worried about my safety, but there's a whole spectrum between not worrying about your safety and feeling relaxed in your surroundings. At least that's how it was for us. We moved to a more residential, but still very active, walkable neighborhood, and while I miss the convenience of the location, and all the amenities you can find in buildings there, I really don't miss anything else. However it was really fun to try out and I don't regret living there for awhile.

I also used to live in Queen Anne, and ~60% of my new neighbors were people 'escaping' Belltown.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 PM

128 posts, read 224,085 times
Belltown is great if you got lots of money. If you don't have lots of money, go live in Ballard with everyone else.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:05 PM

8,091 posts, read 8,440,062 times
You might want to look at Lower Queen Anne (Uptown) or the south slope of Queen Anne Hill - lots of apartments to chose from. Just north of Belltown (north of Denny), but still within walking distance of or a short bus ride to downtown. Basically has most of the good points of Belltown with much less of the bad points. Very walkable, excellent transit. Plus has something Belltown has very little of, open space (Seattle Center, Kinneer Park). Lots of restaurants, lounges/bars, coffee bars, a film theatre, grocery stores, and culture/entertainment.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,342,685 times
Belltown is an expensive neighborhood that looks cheap due to all the vagrants that hang out there and the ghetto people that drive up to go clubbing on the weekends. Every time I go there, dressed in gym sweats or whatever, I always get AT LEAST three men shouting "Yo, where yo man at?!!" or "Hey baby, why you look so sad?" or following me up the street until I acknowledge them. I wouldn't live there if I were you. Not worth the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: