Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,802,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
An SUV would be good.. If you have an SUV, it means you are "SOMEBODY" here in The Northwest.
Yeah. A Mom.

Although I know of childless CA transplants that have SUV's too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,135,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yeah. A Mom.

I thought it was:

G-wagon or equivalent = balla
Crossover = mom
SUV = hick

Old 11-12-2013, 07:55 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,808,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I thought it was:

G-wagon or equivalent = balla
Crossover = mom
SUV = hick
Right. Just like driving a truck automatically makes you a redneck and a Prius a liberal douche? Idiot.....

Old 11-12-2013, 08:18 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,135,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Right. Just like driving a truck automatically makes you a redneck and a Prius a liberal douche? Idiot.....
Well, has driving a BMW has made me a pr... wait a second...

Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,870,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yeah. A Mom.

I guess you don't watch the Sapronos much, do you? And, FYI, All the cool people in the SUV have SUVS, not just cool moms..

Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 PM

279 posts, read 481,949 times
This is actually a really funny post. I have thought the same thing. I'm moving to Seattle and what kinda car should I have? What do I want to represent myself as? Then I realized that I live in Orange County, CA where representation is everything. This is the main reason I want out of Orange County! Now I don't mind having a fancy car... I just don't want the attitude and all the plastic that goes with it!

So in my opinion.... which my not count as much! It really depends on what you do for a living and who are you trying to impress? For instance I work in the high end real estate market. Our median range housing price is 3 million. With that being said I can't show up in a mini van or a prius. They would never buy or sell with me. So I have to have a high end car.

Bottom line.... it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish... and who you are trying to impress! If those are not factors then I'd go with economical and environmentally friendly.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,973 posts, read 82,102,147 times
You will see everything from late 80s - early 90s beaters to Teslas to the occasional Ferrari or Lamborghini. Bellevue has every luxury car dealership there is and they did just fine even through 2008-10.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 PM

731 posts, read 941,538 times
If you truly live, work, and play in the city of Seattle, a smaller car is more useful. Won't use as much gas for all the time you have to sit still on the freeway and all the parking spaces for new builds are so small that my Camry feels gigantic to park. I don't feel like people judge too much on cars in Seattle. Where I live in Ballard people have really expensive houses, but then they only have one mediocre car between them. In some neighborhoods you will feel more out of place with cheaper car and I think representing matters more on the Eastside. Buy anything that says "Hybrid" on it and you're golden!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:42 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,808,392 times
Car2go is very popular here as well

Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,402,135 times
You will need AWD for when you decide to go to the mountains and on the 1-2 days that it snows for real in Seattle and the following day for the slush because Seattle has zero snow removal and the temperature on those days usually hovers in the barely-freezing mark, making any snow mitigation scheme moot.

If you plan on simply not driving those days (always smart) or just taking the bus, and don't have any real plans to go to the mountains that often, you don't need a car in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area