Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,393 times

Advertisements

Our single-family residence of twenty-four years is nestled in a very quiet community of Seattle. My wife and I particularly enjoy the sound and restful sleep we get from the serenity of our neighborhood. However, that peaceful sleep has been disturbed by routine dot com grocery deliveries at 2 A.M. in the morning! The truck is large, noisy and flashes its headlamps into our bedroom window. Since it appears that this vehicle is making a delivery on the next street, it is not clear why the driver is using our "no-thoroughfare" street as a place to turn around in front of our home

The customer service department and the director of operations of this business have chosen to ignore our multiple complaints. The Seattle Department of Planning and Development has advised us that they can only enforce the noise code if a delivery is made on the same street as the complainant. So, where do we go from here? We implore anyone reading this message who has a remedy to this problem to please step forward and share it with us and the other residents of Seattle who can't get the sleep they need to go to work with a clear head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,883 times
close the windows? People have works to do, too.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:19 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chumleys View Post
The Seattle Department of Planning and Development has advised us that they can only enforce the noise code if a delivery is made on the same street as the complainant.
I guess the next question is whether the truck is actually exceeding the allowable nighttime noise level. If it is, it shouldn't matter where the source of the noise is, only whether it's excessive on your property.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:02 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
NAme the offender and complain on as many social networking and consumer sites as possible.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Ask the driver to go on a slightly different route. Have an example at hand.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:13 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Seems like the fault lies with the person setting up the early delivery time. You should quit being so incredibly passive aggressive and confront your neighbor. The business is doing what the customer is paying them to do.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:06 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
I can remember watching the news when you had a bunch of people complaining about dot.com deliveries being done around 5am and disturbing the neighborhood. In this case, it might help to see if the other neighbors are being disturbed as well. As for now with the headlights shining into the room, why not look into the blackout curtains?

Old 10-07-2013, 02:41 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
you really are quite descriptive...

Speak with your neighbors... including finding out who's house the groceries are being delivered to. If there are a number of other individuals bothered by the noise then you probably have a good case, if not, well, I suggest you move to a different bedroom of the house as your options could be limited.

For the past couple years we've had a neighbor taking issue with cars parking for 10 minutes twice a day for school drop off. Both the larger HOA, the police and the school district didn't do anything (I guess many people believed he was curmudgeonly wasting away his retirement on insignificant issues.... but I digress...). Well, he finally got the smaller HOA to have a tow company post signs and park their tow truck on the first day of school. For the most part it's been a good solution. He's no longer out there every morning and afternoon harassing neighbors and nobody drops their kids off at that corner anymore. A win for all.

Just keep trying. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:26 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I order from AmazonFresh every week, and I find them to be very quiet. I used to do the "before 6 a.m. delivery" but stopped and changed it to a later time because I didn't want my groceries sitting out for hours and hours. In any case--I always thought the truck was super quiet. I would complain to Amazon directly. If that doesn't work, I'd try and track down the neighbor and ask if they would be willing to schedule the delivery at a different time.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:52 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Earplugs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: