Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 07:33 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times

Advertisements

This is my first fall in WA State. What are the weeks when the foliage peaks? In Vermont where I grew up generally the first 2 weeks in October were considered to be peak time for leaf peeping. What are some best areas of the state of WA for leaf peeping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
It won't be anything like Vermont, since our best color is limited to the vine maples and the Golden Larch. Any of the mountain passes with the exception of I90 will have the best fall color, from about 1,500 feet on up to the summits.
They will mostly be along the sides of the highway under the taller firs and cedars.

Since we are getting lowland color now, I would expect the higher elevations to be at peak or even finished in the next two weeks. Take a drive out Highway 2 to Leavenworth, then have a beer and lunch there and come back, or stay overnight and explore the area. Our Vine Maples are plentiful in the local woods, too. Go for a hike in one of the following areas and you will see some decent color but not as spectacular as in the mountain foothills.

Sammamish - Soaring Eagle Park
Redmond - Watershed Preserve
Issaquah - Tiger Mountain/Tradition Plateau Trails
North Bend - Mount Si

The Golden Larch are harder to find, at higher Cascade altitudes. I found some on a hike at White Pass at about 5,500' one year, on forest service trails. There are also some in the Teanaway area off highway 970 north of I90 between Cle Elum and Ellensburg. You have to hike up to over 5,000 foot elevation from the trailhead at about 4,000.

We planted some quaking aspens here for fall color, that are now 30+ feet tall, but this weekend's windstorm blew off most of the leaves before they could turn yellow.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:43 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,425 times
This link may be helpful. I know that after all the rain that's fallen recently along with the wind, I fear the color won't be as good as it was in the last two years. Still, I would venture out and take advantage of the area. The beauty is intoxicating.. any time of the year.

Fall Color Viewing Locations - WNW

Old 10-02-2013, 04:30 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Chuckanut Drive up near Bellingham.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 AM

403 posts, read 681,438 times
Check out the trip reports section of NWHikers, NWHikers.net forums. Many folks will post hiking or driving trips where colors are coming out. Also, head to the east slopes of the Cascades for the Golden Larches, The 'Golden Week:' Larch in the high Cascades - seattlepi.com. Gosh I miss that; Houston has no fall.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times
Thanks all for the excellent advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area