Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 11:35 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,361 times

Advertisements

We lived on top of QA for awhile. I loved it, but the commute to the eastside got super frustrating once all the work on Mercer and SLU got going. So we moved to Cap Hill - much, much better for access to the rest of Seattle.

That said, we really loved living there.

It's absolutely lovely with all those old houses, trees and views. There are enough cute little shops, coffee places, grocery stores and decent restaurants to keep you from needing to go to other neighborhoods for much. The only thing that's really missing is a Fred Meyer and most people head up to Ballard for that. It feels safe and residential while still being walkable and vibrant. It's super convenient to DT as well - just hop on the 2 or 13 and you're there. It was just as close to walk to the market (Pike Place) as it is from where we are in Cap Hill. Parking on the top of QA is actually not that bad. It's Lower QA that's tight.

People seem to really get outside on upper QA, and they're fairly friendly. They don't seem as guarded or into their own activities as many neighborhoods I've lived (IMO). It's very dog friendly and kids seem to play outside a lot. One measure that I take is Halloween - do people stay in their neighborhood and trick or treat or do they go to a mall? Well in upper QA - EVERYONE sticks around and goes out. We gave away 6 bags of candy and had over 50 groups before we had to call it a night.

The one gripe we had was that access to any but the surrounding areas can be a PITA. Getting to DT, SLU, Ballard, Fremont - easy. But anything beyond that was a pain since there wasn't easy access to the freeway after they started 'fixing' Mercer and SLU got clogged up with new workers all going and coming at peak commute time. I used to be able to get from QA to the eastside in ~25 minutes, and I could probably still make that at certain points of the day, but now it's more like 45.

Particular favorites:
* 5 Spot - excellent, excellent breakfast
* Paragon - darn good burger and drinks
* El Diablo - favorite coffee shop
* Chocopolis - Thur they have 'happy hour' til 7 with free chocolate tasting. Also good drinking chocolate
* Seattle Gym - no frills, kewl old firehouse with exposed brick walls, big windows and a decent selection of equipment.
* Highland Drive - I still go there on weekends to walk and take in the view. I have a 3 mile loop around the top of the hill, and it starts and ends here. Some of the best views in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,361 times
Quote:
Sounds fantastically adventurous, but my idea of "roughing it" is staying in a hotel near the campground. I'm just not that kinda gal, unfortunately. Luckily, I have driven in snow quite a bit (lived in Denver and Philly).
You'll be fine. There are several more circular routes in and out than QA Ave N - which is the one that gets shut down. We lived there for almost 2 years and it was closed twice. And each time you could get in and out other ways just fine.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:44 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
You'll be fine. There are several more circular routes in and out than QA Ave N - which is the one that gets shut down. We lived there for almost 2 years and it was closed twice. And each time you could get in and out other ways just fine.
We have been in QA for a year and a half. My kids attend Coe. Its a great community school. It did not snow last year but my neighbors said if snow is in the forecast they just park a car at the bottom of the hill and walk down to it if need be. There is also a back route off of Cremona over by SPU that can (apparently) get you down the hill-in the direction of SLU.

The neighborhoods around Coe are safe quite and walkable. Lots of kids playing outside and neighbors always out walking dogs or gardening. We love it here.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM

507 posts, read 1,668,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
If you're working in the SLU area, just buy some crampons for your shoes and you can hike to work. That's not such a bad thing, especially if you ever plan to do any winter hiking in the mountains. It can be quite comical walking around watching people trying to drive on snowy, frozen roads.
That's what I did when I lived in Capitol Hill and worked in SLU. Denny Bridge is just deadly on a snowy/icy day but with crampons it's no problem. Doesn't even need to be real crampons, I had those rubber things you stick on your boots, they're 20 bucks at REI and work perfectly well.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
We lived on top of QA for awhile. I loved it, but the commute to the eastside got super frustrating once all the work on Mercer and SLU got going. So we moved to Cap Hill - much, much better for access to the rest of Seattle.

That said, we really loved living there.

<snip>
Fantastic post, thanks so much for the info! Funny, I tend to call really great areas "good Halloween neighborhoods." It's a great measure, right?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:24 PM

634 posts, read 896,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Gosh, QA is lovely with all those old , charming homes. There's two "Queen Anne" to speak of: the Lower QA, which is yuppie, urban. Then there's Upper QA, the family oriented, beautiful homes and views.

The cons are its crowded, parking on streets *sucks*and its pricey. Another con would have you looking up on you tube "Queen Anne snow"... odds are your kids would enjoy it more than your husband, but if he gets the day off... it's quite a community event (cars will be blocked)-- very fun.
When I first moved to Queen Anne in 1988, it still was a bedroom community and CHEAP, upper/lower, but this assessment is pretty true now, very yuppyish in an annoying granola/yogurt eating type of way.

Strangely the pros/cons reflect one another depending on perspective:

Pros: You don't need a gym membership, just find a stairway and a couple of the steeper streets. You get more snow if that's yer thing. Close to the center and downtown for events and won't have to look/pay for parking. Lots of bus lines. It's relatively safe. The houses are gorgeous and so are the front gardens (I believe that's how the neighborhood got it's name). Great views for anything: fireworks, mountains....Kerry Park anyone?

Cons: The streets are too steep for when you're in a walking mood and sometimes it's the only place in the city that got snow, good luck convincing the boss about your tardiness being justified, it's happened to me! South slope parking is terrible if there is something going on at the center and noisy too. Rents are overpriced and ridiculous. Despite an abundance of grocers, they too are higher than other parts of the city with fewer stores. The Mercer Mess.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:34 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
When I first moved to Queen Anne in 1988, it still was a bedroom community and CHEAP, upper/lower, but this assessment is pretty true now, very yuppyish in an annoying granola/yogurt eating type of way.
The way people talk about it here, it seems, well, snooty (though the poster who lives near Coe was very helpful and decidedly un-snooty). I know it's a sought-after address, and you will get some of that postcode pride, but I have that new kid worry about fitting in.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:15 AM

172 posts, read 296,921 times
We were there on Sunday, too, for brunch with friends. Lovely area, very quaint and character-ful. Older houses (not necessarily a bad thing, quaint and charming). The hills are steep! But that means nice views. People collecting chestnuts off the streets! In case anyone has kids ... pros are that it is very close to the Kid's Theatre, Pacific Science Centre, Kid's museum ... cons are that most of these homes don't have much of an outdoor space for active children.

SSLifestyler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: