Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,322 times

Advertisements

Need help, trying relocate to washington . Both me and my wife work in the health care field. We have to kids. Are rent situation here in La is 950$ a month 2 bdr. Can we find an apt less than that here in washington? And how about raising kids here? Is it a good state to raise kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 12:23 PM

895 posts, read 1,710,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislopez View Post
Need help, trying relocate to washington . Both me and my wife work in the health care field. We have to kids. Are rent situation here in La is 950$ a month 2 bdr. Can we find an apt less than that here in washington? And how about raising kids here? Is it a good state to raise kids?
Washington certainly is a good place to raise kids, you have much less of the riff raff and gang nonsense I'm sure you're familiar with in LA. However, in order to secure a two bedroom for less than that you might have to look into surrounding suburbs (Kent, Renton, etc.), or possibly even Tacoma. The more affordable parts of Seattle are on the southside and far north. However, it might make economical sense for you to look into suburbs because you could get more for your value.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:33 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,901,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislopez View Post
Need to narrow things down a bit to answer your question ... Washington is a very big state. You can surely find an apartment for that amount somewhere, but there may be no job there.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:48 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,913,374 times
Do you plan on working in or near Seattle?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:26 PM

4 posts, read 5,386 times
Vancouver, Wa. is a terrific place to live and raise children. It is just across the bridge/river from Portland, Or. I would think the Vancouver Clinic or Southwest medical would be good choices for employment. We lived there for about a decade and just loved it! Vancouver is the 'bedroom community' to Portland. The rent and house prices are lower than metro Portland. But, then you have access to all Portland has to offer. Plus the beaches can be reached within 2 hrs or less (although don't have high expectations of warm water, etc, it is the Northwest). Now we live in the Seattle metro area. And..... we are trying to move the heck out of it! We love many many things about this area but just can't stand the gray skies any longer. The actual measurable rain is about the same as Vancouver/Portland but it is the amount of gray overcast skies that we just can't take. The Portland/Vancouver area just has more sunny days than Seattle metro; I just didn't realize how important that was to us. It has all 4 seasons. Mt. hood is close by for snow activities. We've been with overcast skies now for 5 yrs so we are actually trying to move to lots of sun; south carolina!

Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,478,864 times
I'm assuming you've spent a great deal of time in the south in the warmer months? I hate the grey too, but give me that any day over oppressive heat, humidity and bugs 9 months of the year. The lifestyle and mindset is drastically different as well.

I've lived all over and have found that every place has its good and bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area