Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:53 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
No, Im not exactly the gatekeeper, but it just intrigues me when people want to move all the way across the country for the sake of moving. Dont think that you'll come here and have a job signed sealed and delivered in the first 8-12 weeks. With that being said, and you have a dependent, it can be very, very risky and potentially a major waste of your savings (especially if you ever want to own a home in the area). The fact that your monthly rent requirement is pretty low for the area tells me that it is probably a safer bet to wait until you have employment.
It's low because I'm prudent. It can be higher, but I always like to see what's out there. I also drive a vehicle that's three years old and I drink at hole in the walls that serve beer for 2.50.

What you should do is read "the millionaire next door." Not every person of wealth wants to pay 5k in rent just because they can. Was it you that asked about if I had 30k in the bank? I won't tell you how much I have, but I'll have enough to cover a lot of months of rent while sitting on my couch with my thumb up my ***** if I so choose.

Oh also, I already have an in at Microsoft. Didn't feel like I needed to mention that and I may not pursue that, but my OP had mentioned I had a reasonable amount of savings.

I don't know if I will have a home in the area or if I will live in the area for more than a year. The original post was exploratory in nature. Hell, I'm not even positive I'm going to move there.

I appreciate the Seattlites who actually gave me information, rather than you, who frowned upon my budget. I guess you want to get me used to that Seattle freeze?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:56 PM

btw, according to padmapper, there are quite a few places right around my budget in Seattle and they look decent.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This site might be helpful:

Search Results - ForRent.com

I entered two bedroom within 20 miles of Seattle and $1200. limit and this is what came up. You may need to look at a map to determine the locations. For schools, the better school districts tend to be on the Eastside which is the East side of Lake Washington from Seattle. But that doesn't mean there aren't good school districts in other locations. I've heard mention of Maple Valley being good which is further out but is supposed to be nice. Bothell is in the Northshore school district and has been considered a somewhat budget alternative but it is growing very fast so the window is closing. Lynnwood is a bit "mall-ish" because Alderwood Mall seems to be the center of everything but Lynnwood is not a bad town. Mill Creek is very nice, just further out. If you can find a two bedroom apartment in locations such as Issaquah, Redmond, Bellevue, Kirkland, etc. you are fine, all good schools and Issaquah is known for having a lot of programs.

So here is a list, look at a map and enjoy.
Wow, clicked your link , I know many of those aren't actual pictures, but they look way too nice for 1200 a month.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:35 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,865 times
With that budget I think the south sound suburbs (Federal Way, Kent, Auburn, Des Moines, Tukwila, Seatac, Renton even) will get you the most bang for your buck. Federal Way is an exceptional School district with 4 high schools, 8 Middle schools, and 30 elementary schools. Because it's so large alot of the schools may very. Federal Way high school is a great school (Though statistics may not show it being in a lower income area of town), it is getting rebuilt next year and has some of the best and most caring teachers of any school in the state. Federal Way provides standard shopping and entertainment options and great beach and waterfront access. It's about 25-40 minutes to Downtown Seattle any given day.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
With that budget I think the south sound suburbs (Federal Way, Kent, Auburn, Des Moines, Tukwila, Seatac, Renton even) will get you the most bang for your buck. Federal Way is an exceptional School district with 4 high schools, 8 Middle schools, and 30 elementary schools. Because it's so large alot of the schools may very. Federal Way high school is a great school (Though statistics may not show it being in a lower income area of town), it is getting rebuilt next year and has some of the best and most caring teachers of any school in the state. Federal Way provides standard shopping and entertainment options and great beach and waterfront access. It's about 25-40 minutes to Downtown Seattle any given day.
Thanks DevanXL, I can stretch the budget if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area