Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 PM

305 posts, read 450,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I actually find Seattle is A LOT more diverse then its perceived national rep. People think it's a white area and it just is not any more at all. It's a very diverse place. Just go to Census Bureau Homepage for the facts. Seattle and most of the larger cities in the Seattle Metro area have very mixed populations.

-the city of Seattle is only 66% white (and that will keep falling)
-Renton is 49% white
-Bellevue is 59% white
-Redmond is 61% white
-Kent is 49% white
-Lynwood is 58% white
-Tacoma is 60% white
-Federal Way 51% white
Where are you getting your facts? I just went to that site and it said King County is 71.3% white. And 15.5% Asian. So 87% white or Asian. That's not diverse at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 11:50 PM

309 posts, read 761,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
Where are you getting your facts? I just went to that site and it said King County is 71.3% white. And 15.5% Asian. So 87% white or Asian. That's not diverse at all.
Seattle and Portland are both over 70% white.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,885,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
The poster listed his link as his source, which was the Census. You looked at the county while he listed cities.

Not to nitpick, Seattle is actually 69.5% white.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,243,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
Good grief people. Who cares about race.
White Liberals. They are the most race obsessed demographic.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 AM

895 posts, read 1,704,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
Good grief people. Who cares about race.
The reason I brought up this subject is because I find it desirable for there to be a defined presence of other ethnic groups, not just black, Asian or Hispanic, because it broadens your horizons and makes you more educated about how other people live. I recently took a trip to DC and NYC and was very impressed by what a melting pot some of the neighborhoods were. It just makes things a lot more interesting and less predictable. Having a vibrant interracial dating scene is a big plus as well, which I unfortunately am not too optimistic about finding in seattle.

Since all the "trendy" neighborhoods in most cities tend be filled with your all American yuppies and hipsters, it's like breathing a breath of fresh air when you find places that are more diverse.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
The reason I brought up this subject is because I find it desirable for there to be a defined presence of other ethnic groups, not just black, Asian or Hispanic, because it broadens your horizons and makes you more educated about how other people live. I recently took a trip to DC and NYC and was very impressed by what a melting pot some of the neighborhoods were. It just makes things a lot more interesting and less predictable. Having a vibrant interracial dating scene is a big plus as well, which I unfortunately am not too optimistic about finding in seattle.

Since all the "trendy" neighborhoods in most cities tend be filled with your all American yuppies and hipsters, it's like breathing a breath of fresh air when you find places that are more diverse.
If you break it down by zip code, most of the sought after, trendy hip neighborhoods in Seattle have a much higher percentage of white folks than the city as a whole. 98103( Fremont, Phinney, Greenlake) is 85% white. 98107( Ballard) is 87%, 98115( U district, Ravenna) is 84% white, 98119(Queen Anne) is 86% white.
The 98122( Central District) is 57% white, 25% black. The 98144( Beacon Hill) is 36% white, 30% Asian, 21% Black, The 98118( Columbia City) is 31% white, 33% Asian, 26% black.
The 98118 was described as being the most diverse zip code in the US. Apparently that's not true, but you can find Orthodox Jews, Somali Muslims, Mexicans, Italians,African Americans, Vietnamese, and plenty of white hipsters.
I also like being in neighborhoods where you might think a meeting of the United Nations is going on.
Seattle has a higher percentage of white folks than most of it's neighboring towns. Kent has a huge Indian community, and some great Indian restaurants. It also has a lot of Russians/Ukrainians, Africans, Hispanics, and Vietnamese.
Burien is 20% Hispanic,( feels like it's higher than that) but if you're in the right part of town (Ambaum) there are more taquerias per square mile than anywhere in the Seattle area. You wouldn't think that a dozen taquerias within a few blocks could survive, but they seem to. Burien also has regional Mexican cuisine( Oaxacan) and Peruvian. DT Burien also has it's share of hippies/artists/hipsters, and isn't far from Puget Sound.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,596,682 times
If you want diversity, come to Bellevue. It outdoes Seattle in every way imaginable. And the people are refreshingly more down to Earth. If I ever move back to Seattle, that's my destination.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
Even in Sammamish the population is now over 20% Asian, mostly from India. Two or more races in a household is 3.7%, still low but higher than the percentage of any of the other races besides white and Asian and almost as high as Seattle at 4.4%.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 PM

872 posts, read 2,031,258 times
People need to drop this diversity crap, especially when it isn't natural (forced) no region NEEDS diversity and it isn't always a very positive thing. Look at the list of the most dangerous cities in America, not a single one on there is majority of white >65%. Not one. Hmm..if diversity is so amazing, why is it those cities struggle with crime and poverty? Can't whites be criminals and in poverty too?

Just a stupid argument people like to bring on this board once a week. Just get over it. There is a large Asian population with their own cultures and languages. There are enough African americans here that you can go on the news randomly and hear about crimes committed by random AAs. If that's what diversity means, then I'll keep my 65.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 PM

603 posts, read 878,471 times
"Diversity" depends on your definition of the word. To me, it refers to a community that is predominantly white but has a fair number of ethnic minorities. On the Eastside, the dominant ethnic groups are Indians, Asians, and Whites. The overwhelming majority of folks work white-collar jobs and married with 2 kids and a dog. As an Indian-American (parents are from India but I was born here) myself, I find the Eastside to be pretty diverse. Capitol Hill is "diverse" in a different way. The overwhelming majority of residents are white, but many are gay so it can fulfill somebody's definition of "diverse."

I'm sure a lot of guilty white liberals will never be happy unless a place is 20% white, 20% black, 20% Asian, 20% Hispanic, and 20% Gay. That will never happen. Unfortunately, they'll keep on crying that places like the Eastside are just not diverse enough and are probably racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area