Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,933,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerbun View Post
Ira, the 35% is the number who are Christians and go to church. It would seem that the other half of people who self identify as Christians simply don't belong to a church (but that's fairly common all over the us. A very large number of believers don't attend regular church services. It's not just a Seattle thing).
How did you gather that? The 37% link shows how it breaks down: 15% are Catholic, others are other smaller denominations (LDS, Pentecostals, Lutherans, etc). It doesn't say anything about attendance.

The bigger number is for the metro, which I can believe. People are more accepting about religion in the suburbs than Seattle Proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 12:28 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,800,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I am very acquainted with Mars Hill and Pastor Mark Driscoll and I never have heard him preach that women are below men.. at least not in a serious way that I'm aware of.
The overt sexism and homophobia of the pastor is well known:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/c...t?oid=12172001

Old 08-28-2013, 12:56 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,063,614 times
I can't get that page to load. Can someone give me the tl;dr on Mars Hill? I've seen the place, but is it like Scientology or something?

Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,800,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I can't get that page to load. Can someone give me the tl;dr on Mars Hill? I've seen the place, but is it like Scientology or something?
No, it's just a very conservative "reformed" Evangelical Megachurch. They're really good at marketing and pretending to be hip. They also have a lot of locations, both in Seattle and the suburbs.

There is a "survivor" blog, so I'm assuming more than one person has been harmed by the doctrine: Mars Hill Refuge

Any worse than any other fundamentalist church? Probably not. But still a fairly ubiquitous force in the Seattle metro area.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Basically its like what Seattlenextyear says, the articles talks about Mark Driscoll (and Mars Hill) sexism and homophobism. Mars Hill is pretty much a "Christian" group... just with Mark Driscoll's interpretation.

The link loaded up on my computer without a problem, and its nothing new. I've heard the same stories. The media here is quick to print any negative commentary about Mars Hill. It could be justified. I don't know because I've never actually ran into a member and have a discussion. It is rather curious because my understanding is that there's a huge MH following. Perhaps Seattlenextyear would know, but I could've swore there was even a MH book that talked about sexual positions that caused an uproar here years ago.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,063,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
No, it's just a very conservative "reformed" Evangelical Megachurch. They're really good at marketing and pretending to be hip. They also have a lot of locations, both in Seattle and the suburbs.

There is a "survivor" blog, so I'm assuming more than one person has been harmed by the doctrine: Mars Hill Refuge

Any worse than any other fundamentalist church? Probably not. But still a fairly ubiquitous force in the Seattle metro area.
Ah, thanks.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM

80 posts, read 193,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
How did you gather that? The 37% link shows how it breaks down: 15% are Catholic, others are other smaller denominations (LDS, Pentecostals, Lutherans, etc). It doesn't say anything about attendance.

The bigger number is for the metro, which I can believe. People are more accepting about religion in the suburbs than Seattle Proper.
It says in the fine print that those are people who consider themselves affiliated with a religion. I've known tons of people who self identify as Christian but say they aren't religious, don't follow religion, don't believe in religion, etc. It would be interesting to see the actual poll question. I have a really hard time believing 2/3 of any us city is atheist/agnostic.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,566,621 times
Quote:
It says in the fine print that those are people who consider themselves affiliated with a religion. I've known tons of people who self identify as Christian but say they aren't religious, don't follow religion, don't believe in religion, etc. It would be interesting to see the actual poll question. I have a really hard time believing 2/3 of any us city is atheist/agnostic.
Same here. Also, often ignored are all of the new age spirituality believers on the West Coast. The PNW has a large number of them. I don't know where they get counted. They may not follow a mainstream religion but they are most definitely not atheist. They will not answer "yes" to a poll question about following any mainstream religion, but they absolutely believe there is a spiritual realm and that you exist beyond death. I think this describes a growing number of people nowadays. They really aren't sure about accepting any mainstream religion as being fact, but believe there is something to our existence beyond our physical being. True atheists represent a small minority in America.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,440,173 times
Quote:
They play loud rock and roll music, and Driscoll is famous for yelling and cursing.
It seems like every time a church closes, it reopens as a Mars Hill Church, so they must be pretty good at attracting people.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
It says in the fine print that those are people who consider themselves affiliated with a religion.
I did see the fine print, but I don't get how you got attendance out of "affiliation".

Quote:
I've known tons of people who self identify as Christian but say they aren't religious, don't follow religion, don't believe in religion, etc. It would be interesting to see the actual poll question. I have a really hard time believing 2/3 of any us city is atheist/agnostic.
Yes, I know tons that are "Spiritual". But this poll wouldn't include them in. I can very much believe Seattle being 2/3 being either atheist, agnostic or "Spiritual". (With "Spiritual" taking a huge component of that 2/3.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area