Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times

Advertisements

Okay I need some huge help. I am going to Seattle for my first tim for the first Romantic getaway with my boyfriend. I want to look super hot, and fit in there, I am from Canada, Alberta. We are staying at a very high class hotel downtown, I am mid early 30's, I need to know what to wear for clothes (September), what is acceptable going out to bars? Going out for fine dining, and just strolling around shopping during the day. I don't want to look like a tourist or like a hick lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! What to wear and what not to wear, head to toe girls and guys!
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 04:18 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,728,690 times
Honestly, Seattle is not that fashion forward, but I'm guessing if you picked up a J Crew catalog around that time, you would find stylish things for the trip. Seattle has shopping, Nordstrom, Barneys, etc. and Bellevue (across Lake Washington) has more, but you would want to have the clothes before the trip and arrive dressed, right? If you're staying downtown, maybe Westin, Grand Hyatt or W, etc. there will be well dressed people in the hotel but on the street, there will be a variety of dress. The weather will likely be in the 60s, actually quite perfect, not too hot but not rainy yet so for evenings you'll want layers and jackets if you take the ferry or dinner outside.

Last edited by Seacove; 07-17-2013 at 04:30 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,356,333 times
Like Seacove said, Seattle is not fashion forward. If you look like you're wearing expensive fancy clothes, you will likely be taken for an out of towner. Which is not to say that Seattle folks don't dress expensively. They do. But it's much more of a casual expensive look, not a fancy expensive look. Clotheswise, Seattle is an "anything goes" kind of place.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,676,690 times
You might find yourself in a conundrum or sorts. Not dressing like a tourist might involve not wearing the the very items that typically makes you feel "super hot and fit". Lululemon??? This city simply isn't into vanity.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:58 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,886,419 times
That guy sitting next to you at a nice restaurant in shorts and a polo shirt might be worth millions ... like flyingsaucermom said we're not into vanity or flaunting wealth here. I once stood behind Bill Gates as he waited to pay his parking tab for a downtown garage.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:43 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,366,442 times
Seattle "fashion" in my opinion is the definition of hipster look, or the "I'm going out hiking" look.

There aren't any clubs here that demand a dress code or even really care what you're wearing (the only place I recall had one said you had to wear shoes that covered the feet, i.e. no open sandals ... and they had to turn away someone wearing sandals ... that's how relaxed most people are in the Seattle area).

Flannel is still worn in this area. That should tell you how much you should care about fashion here. In fact, if you're staying downtown, I recommend NOT getting dressed to the nines because you will be targeted for panhandlers and be whistled at, and the locals will silently judge you. You will be confused for a "Confused East Coast Transplant" (see the PEMCO Insurance Northwest Profiles if you don't get what I mean).

I've been to Alberta, very nice area. I dated a girl from Edmonton (Deadmonton) and checked out the WEM, pretty cool to have a wave park inside the mall. I imagine you're stopping in Seattle on your way over to Victoria, BC or to Vancouver. Now Vancouver is where you should be better dressed at the clubs. Their nightclub scene is vastly superior to Seattle's, which mostly has some theme bars and places to get drunk or if you're into it, cocktails.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,728,690 times
She said she's staying at a very high class hotel downtown. I would guess something like Grand Hyatt, Westin, etc. There will be a variety of dress at the upscale hotels and she would not be out of place dressed up there or at any of the nicer restaurants. Seattle may not be fashion forward but at the nicer downtown hotels and restaurants, she would not be out of place if she chose to dress up a bit to make an impression on her traveling companion (have a heart guys). But the point should be well-taken that if OP comes across someone more casually dressed, it would not be a reflection of their financial status. And a lot of the Seattle gear may look casual but can also be expensive.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:41 AM

164 posts, read 430,507 times
It's anything goes in bars on Capitol Hill, but feels more college in Ballard. Young Seattle women seem to be split between the girl (or boy) next door look, or pink hair and whatever feels fun or freaky to wear that day.

The weather should be 70s and fair (in early September at least).

Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM

443 posts, read 878,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Seattle "fashion" in my opinion is the definition of hipster look, or the "I'm going out hiking" look.

There aren't any clubs here that demand a dress code or even really care what you're wearing (the only place I recall had one said you had to wear shoes that covered the feet, i.e. no open sandals ... and they had to turn away someone wearing sandals ... that's how relaxed most people are in the Seattle area).

Flannel is still worn in this area. That should tell you how much you should care about fashion here. In fact, if you're staying downtown, I recommend NOT getting dressed to the nines because you will be targeted for panhandlers and be whistled at, and the locals will silently judge you. You will be confused for a "Confused East Coast Transplant" (see the PEMCO Insurance Northwest Profiles if you don't get what I mean).

I've been to Alberta, very nice area. I dated a girl from Edmonton (Deadmonton) and checked out the WEM, pretty cool to have a wave park inside the mall. I imagine you're stopping in Seattle on your way over to Victoria, BC or to Vancouver. Now Vancouver is where you should be better dressed at the clubs. Their nightclub scene is vastly superior to Seattle's, which mostly has some theme bars and places to get drunk or if you're into it, cocktails.
Vancouver may have a better nightclub scene, but for most other types of nightlife (bars, pubs, music venues) Seattle is better.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,779,381 times
Whenever I even wear a skirt to go to a restaurant, I'm usually dressed better than 50% of the patrons. I don't really care, but personally I feel like if we're paying more than $80 to eat dinner, I should at least wear earrings for the occasion. No one really cares what you're wearing, and no one's going to look at you funny no matter what you wear. Unless you're RoseCherut because all 1 million of us have made a secret pact to shun him where ever he goes.

So yeah, it's not NYC or anything. If you're dressing well and want to fit in, better dressed people tend to flock towards places like steakhouses. Canlis and RN74 also have better dressed clientele. If you're going to Capitol Hill, you'll want to wear hipster clothing. Anything North of that and you can just wear your biking shorts.

As for walking around downtown, just don't wear shorts, a camera over your neck, or stop in the middle of the sidewalk cluelessly. Some of the streets are cobblestone and very uneven so I would advice against high heels for shopping.

Early September is usually still dry and mild, so heavy rain gear probably isn't necessary. It's going to get warm during the day and chilly at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area