Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 13,271 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving from DC in the next couple of years and are in the midst of deciding where we want to live. With the demise of the so-called "Defense of Marriage Act", we want to live in a state that recognizes our marriage. Washington is at the top of our list. I'd appreciate any suggestions you could make on areas in or near Seattle that would meet our criteria:

1. Single family home in the $300,000-$400,000 range (possibly more), with enough outdoor space to have a small garden.
2. Good local restaurants that we could walk to (Up to 1.5 miles one way would be fine. We are used to walking a lot.) This one may to be a major limitation from the research I have been doing. So many of the Seattle suburbs don't seem to have a real downtown with shops and restaurants.
3. We will not be commuting as we will both be retired at that point, but we would like to be able to get into Seattle on occasion without driving into the city.
4. Reasonably safe. As I said, we are in DC, so we realize you can't judge a neighborhood solely by city crime statistics.
5. A water-view of any kind would be a big bonus, but we don't want to be totally dependent on a ferry to go anywhere.

I've been reviewing all kinds of data and looking at houses on Zillow. So far, Poulsbo looks like a real possibility. I plan on visiting soon to spend time getting the feel of some neighborhoods. Where in Seattle and surrounds would you suggest I look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 03:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Poulsbo would be a good choice, although the restaurants and shops you could walk to are few and only if you live in the older downtown area. It is only 15 minutes from Silverdale which has a complete assortment of shops and restaurants. I would be surprised if you can find even a peek at the water for under $600,000 unless it's a real fixer. Bremerton still does have some homes with water views under $500,000, but it's not as nice, peaceful and quiet as Poulsbo and as a Navy town is more conservative.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,376,444 times
I love Poulsbo. But as far as your requirement of being able to get into Seattle without driving, it won't be quick and easy. There are buses from Poulsbo to the Bainbridge ferry, so you can do it. But it's getting to the bus stop, getting the bus, then getting on the ferry. Doable, but not seamless.
How about Burien? If school districts are not an issue, then Burien has a real downtown with shops and restaurants. And water views. Very easy to get into downtown Seattle. Parts of Burien are run down, but the seahurst neighborhood heading towards the water is especially nice, and walkable to the "Old Burien" downtown, which is charming and pleasant. Just a few blocks away from the downtown area are some interesting ethnic eateries. There's a Peruvian place I'm dying to try, and also a Oaxacan place that has fried grasshopper on the menu. I'm not dying to try that place. Downtown Burien has, amongst other things: A microbrewery/pub, a couple of bookstores, a library, a holistic pet food store, an awesome bakery, a couple of supermarkets, lots of restaurants, and Trader Joes is about 10 blocks from downtown Burien.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:38 PM

8 posts, read 13,271 times
Ira500, thanks for the suggestion. I'll add Burien to my list to research.

How difficult or expensive is it to drive from Poulsbo to the ferry? We don't mind driving, just hate the idea of having to drive all the way in to the city.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:09 PM

45 posts, read 102,761 times
I am also going to retire near Seattle, but looking at Blaine. However, your single family home of $300,000 to 400,000 is high. I have doing research on a couple real estate sites, and I'm finding houses and condos for $150,000 to $200,000. The pictures of the house seem to be outstanding. The homes are anywhere from 1000 sq feet to 2000 sq feet.

I've been out of the country for many years, so although I have credit cards in the States, returning to the States after being overseas for more than 30 years means that I'm an uncertainty regarding credit. Therefore, I would need to pay mostly in cash.

I hope you find you retirement home,and at the age of 66, I would love to be able to find my first and last home.

Rob

Old 07-15-2013, 06:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,376,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc/dc View Post
Ira500, thanks for the suggestion. I'll add Burien to my list to research.

How difficult or expensive is it to drive from Poulsbo to the ferry? We don't mind driving, just hate the idea of having to drive all the way in to the city.
For a walk on ferry passenger, the round trip fare from Bainbridge to Seattle is 7.70 per person. If you're taking the car on the ferry, that would be about 37 dollars round trip( for two people). Parking around the Bainbridge terminal is hard to find. The bus from Poulsbo to the terminal takes about half an hour and costs a couple of bucks, I think.
It's not difficult to drive from Poulsbo to the ferry dock. It can get expensive, if you're taking the car aboard, or paying for parking on Bainbridge.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
I do that ferry probably 6-8 times a year, and if you time it well you can drive 20 minutes and get right on. If you miss it, or it's busy with too many in front of you, you will sit 45 minutes waiting for the next one. Sunday evenings in summer it may take a couple of hours, but the advantage to Poulsbo is you can just as easily take the Kingston, Bainbridge, or Bremerton ferry, all are within 20-30 minutes away. Most of the time (like yesterday) I drive around via highway 16 in Tacoma, gets me there faster and the additional gas is less than the ferry fare.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM

234 posts, read 499,910 times
I am pretty sure West Seattle may be in your price range. Look for something close to California Ave. in the summer there is a ferry that takes you right into downtown from West Seattle. Of course if you don't mind the bus you could also check out Greenwood on the north end. I'm not sure if your price range would get You into Ballard, Wallingford, or Green Lake but you might be able to find a two bedroom in those neighborhoods. Burien is also a pretty good suggestion. You can get the train from there right into downtown.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,533,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob66 View Post
I am also going to retire near Seattle, but looking at Blaine. However, your single family home of $300,000 to 400,000 is high. I have doing research on a couple real estate sites, and I'm finding houses and condos for $150,000 to $200,000. The pictures of the house seem to be outstanding. The homes are anywhere from 1000 sq feet to 2000 sq feet.

I've been out of the country for many years, so although I have credit cards in the States, returning to the States after being overseas for more than 30 years means that I'm an uncertainty regarding credit. Therefore, I would need to pay mostly in cash.

I hope you find you retirement home,and at the age of 66, I would love to be able to find my first and last home.

Rob
Look at condos in Sudden Valley in Bellingham. Good prices, lots of preserved nature and thus a visually stunning community.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:44 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,533,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCat View Post
I am pretty sure West Seattle may be in your price range. Look for something close to California Ave. in the summer there is a ferry that takes you right into downtown from West Seattle. Of course if you don't mind the bus you could also check out Greenwood on the north end. I'm not sure if your price range would get You into Ballard, Wallingford, or Green Lake but you might be able to find a two bedroom in those neighborhoods. Burien is also a pretty good suggestion. You can get the train from there right into downtown.
I second WS for the OP. Water views everywhere, we were one of the first neighborhoods to officially celebrate gay marriage with all-night weddings. Read more about WS here:

West Seattle Blog…

and just a quick search, but provides a snapshot of WS:
http://westseattleblog.com/2013/06/m...wn-rally-ahead
http://westseattleblog.com/2012/12/h...in-king-county
http://westseattleblog.com/2011/08/o...nd-lesbian-bar
http://westseattleblog.com/2011/10/s...admiral-lineup
http://westseattleblog.com/ai1ec_eve...t?instance_id=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area