Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 AM

710 posts, read 1,397,200 times

Advertisements

I was wondering this same kind of thing in terms of driving through the mountains. I plan to move to Seattle late March next year and wondered if I'll run into problems in the mountains concerning snow and ice. I was also thinking of pushing it forward to the end of April, but not sure if that would be any better? The route I was planning to take was north to Wichita, KS then west and north through Denver to Cheyenne, WY. Then east to Ogden, UT and Northwest to Seattle...

Last edited by Count David; 10-12-2011 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: fixed direction for poster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:46 AM

239 posts, read 687,580 times
The safest way to transport you dog is in a plastic crate suitable for airline travel. It is important to secure the crate just like a car seat for a child. I drove from LA to Seattle with two dogs and two cats that were all crated for their safety.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:18 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
I was wondering this same kind of thing in terms of driving through the mountains. I plan to move to Seattle late March next year and wondered if I'll run into problems in the mountains concerning snow and ice. I was also thinking of pushing it forward to the end of April, but not sure if that would be any better? The route I was planning to take was north to Wichita, KS then west and north through Denver to Cheyenne, WY. Then east to Ogden, UT and Northwest to Seattle...
You could theoretically (aka easily) have snow anywhere between Denver and Ogden. March is the snowiest month around these parts.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:12 PM

80 posts, read 192,994 times
We didn't make hotel reservation. We didn't want to be tied to staying in certain towns on certain nights. All Motel 6's are pet friendly, and that's what we stayed in all the way across. Cheap too.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:46 AM

710 posts, read 1,397,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You could theoretically (aka easily) have snow anywhere between Denver and Ogden. March is the snowiest month around these parts.
Really? Well I wouldn't have thought it was the snowiest month, but that figures! Are you talking about from Denver west to Ogden on I-70 (I've heard it sucks)? That was one reason I thought to go north from Denver to Cheyenne then west to Ogden on I-80. Don't know which route would be better or pushing it to the end of April would help?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Really? Well I wouldn't have thought it was the snowiest month, but that figures! Are you talking about from Denver west to Ogden on I-70 (I've heard it sucks)? That was one reason I thought to go north from Denver to Cheyenne then west to Ogden on I-80. Don't know which route would be better or pushing it to the end of April would help?
I'm talking about all of Colorado, and probably much of Wyoming too. No joke.

It's a coin flip really, it could just as well be sunny and in the 60's the whole way through here. Just don't be surprised if it snows (and/or piles up/slows you down).

April is like the second snowiest month. We can get snow into early May around here -- but it doesn't mean it will snow.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 PM

239 posts, read 687,580 times
The thing about snow in March and April is that it has a much higher moisture content than the stuff in Dec., Jan, and Feb. The drier snow blows off the roads whereas the wet stuff sticks and piles up quickly.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
This is true. However, drier blowing snow is a real problem in Wyoming, especially. Like, as in, the road can be clear one mile and then snow covered the next.

That being said, some have the misconception that the Rockies are snow covered throughout the winter. Nothing can be further from the truth. As someone said, it is a coin-toss. Yes, there are storms that can make travel impossible, but there are probably twice, or even three times as many days where it is sunny with dry roads. Snow removal on the Interstates is quite good, but usually not during the overnight hours. Just follow weather.com, and be prepared for delays.

Last edited by pw72; 10-14-2011 at 07:30 PM..

Old 10-14-2011, 07:38 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaJax View Post
Hi everyone. I was wondering if there are any members here that have moved to Seattle from the Southeast - Florida/Georgia. My dog and I will be relocating to the Lynnwood area the first week in December. We have a long haul ahead of us - 3,000+ miles! I have been on long road trips before, but nothing like this. Anyway, does anyone that has driven cross country have any advice or tips for me? Such as a different route to take other than what's on mapquest? I'm not really looking for short cuts or anything like that - more like cool views and scenery. Any interesting stops along the way to make sure I stop at (or stay away from)? I don't want to drive 700 miles out of my way, but I do want to take advantage of seeing a part of our great country I've never seen before. Thank you so much for any info
I did the opposite direction in 2003. I moved from Seattle and ended up in Miami.

First learn from me: Do NOT think you can go longer than 8-10 hours. Do not be stupid like me and push yourself to 17 hours on your 3rd day.

Book hotels along the way at least a few of those days. You will be in your car, for hours and hours, days on end. Yah, you can save money by sleeping in your car at a truck stop but I'm telling you, after a few days of that, you'll wish you had booked a fricken hotel. A bed and hot shower never felt so good.

Do not stay at rest stops...if you have to, stay on the truckers' side.

There's a website, (I forget the name but you can easily find it on the internet if you type in the right search sequence), that will show you gas prices all across the country. This way you won't be in for a shock if you happen upon an area that has gas about a dollar more than you're used to paying.

There's a McDonald's in....Oklahoma? I think it is. It's on the interstate and it sits above the interstate. Yah, it's McD's but it's cool! Go there!

Bring your camera. Even if you were to stay on all the main roads, the scenery is so different from state to state that you may just wish to pull over and start snapping photos. I did a little detour and went down to CA first, then over towards MO and then down to TX and then to NC and then down to FL but, I saw the mountains and trees of WA, I saw the deserts of Nevada, (creepy at night time if you have a wild imagination like I do), I saw the plains of Nebraska, OK, on the eastern side of the state, (I didn't see the western side), was way more beautiful than I thought it would be, MO...I followed MapQuest's directions and it was a little off...and I got a little lost...and even though the movie did not take place in MO, I could not get that damn "Dueling Banjos" song out of my head. If I had seen a creepy, albino kid, I would have just sped down the road without stopping until I ran in to the Gulf of Mexico. TX is most definitely interesting.

It really depends on your route and how much time you have to do this. You could easily spend months out there on the roads, looking at all the scenery and attractions this country has to offer.

Bring a cooler with some food. Fast food gets old after awhile, better to put it off as long as you can.

Call your bank. Let them know you are moving. You do not want to run low on gas and find out that your card is in "hold" status because they think someone stole it. Call them and tell them you're moving and your route. For MOST banks this will work. One of my banks is awesome about this. One of them, when I moved from Miami to Maine could not get it. Then again, we are talking about Miami. What should I expect?

If you're driving your own car, get it fully inspected before you go. Fix everything before you go. The last thing you need is an alternator going out on you in the middle of nowhere and you're at the mercy of whatever mechanic you can find.

Bring your car charger for your cell phone.

Don't speed. Cops love out of state license plates. The further away from "home" you are, the more they love it.

Keep in mind that while for you it's the interstate, (or freeway....get used to that expression if you're moving to the west coast), for others it's just another way to get around their neighborhood and Friday and Saturday nights may not be the best time to be out on the road in areas you don't well know.

Stop often for your dog at rest stops. Remember, it's stressful for the dog, too and they can be anxious. Try to keep as close to your normal schedule as possible with feedings. Keep your dog ON leash even in the car. When you stop, make sure you have that leash in hand before you open a single door. And make sure you have that leash in hand, dog inside, you inside and then close the door as you are getting back in. Keep a water dish on the floorboard where your dog has access to it. Have copies of vet records just in case something happens along the way. If your dog is microchipped and you already know your new address, go update the records of that microchip the day before you leave.

Most importantly: Relax. Drive aware, drive safe. Enjoy the ride, it's amazing along the way. Don't drive too long each day, get some adequate rest beforehand. I think Super 8 motels are good about pets and Holiday Inns are, as well. Highly recommend you book in advance, though. Map out what you're going to do, and even if you arrive earlier than you thought, just take the break and enjoy the rest. It's a long drive. Get your sleep and take those hot showers. You will thank yourself.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:58 PM

59 posts, read 224,045 times
I've done the drive twice now. I actually enjoyed it both times, although it gets a bit boring in the middle of the country.

Use the Internet to find a nice place to have lunch every day (rather than McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc.). It's a long drive and an enjoyable break in the middle of each day will make the afternoon portion much more bearable. Trip Advisor was a decent website for this as was Chowhound.

Aside from that, the scenery really picks up once you hit the Continental Divide, so if you want to schedule long days to make up time, probably better to put them on the front end of your trip - you'll also be less sick of driving early on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area