Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 13,866 times

Advertisements

Hello, my partner, two young children and I am seriously considering moving to the PNW. I most likely will be working from home (good job) and my partner would be looking to work in a small hospital. We have heard great things about WA in general about being liberal and accepting of LGBT people, but I thought I'd start a current thread about it.

Details:
We are a same sex couple with two young children. Our oldest is a couple years away from Kindergarten. We'd prefer a small to medium city near (within 45-60 mins) Seattle with great schools and lots of activities. We would like to find an in-home daycare for them close by, too. We would most likely rent. Yes, we realize how expensive the Seattle area is, but we would like some feedback on cute cities/towns that might be good for our rainbow family but still affordable. We would consider rural if the community was accepting.

Weather:
And lastly -- are the complaints about the rainy weather really THAT bad? We are casual, jeans & t-shirt kind of folks who can't stand hot humid weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
The Capitol Hill neighborhood in Seattle is the hub of the city's gay community. You won't have any problem being accepted here. The suburbs can be a little more conservative, but not so much that you'd probably ever notice. I don't know much about day care (I'm a stay-at-home dad), so I'll have to leave that question to someone else.

As for the rain, it's mist or drizzle most of the time. Honestly, I don't even notice it most days. I think it's the nine months of cloud cover that gets to people more than the rain does. Summers here are warm and dry, but usually not hot -- high 70s to low 80s is the norm, with low humidity. I can't stand humid summers, either, and that's not something you have to worry about here.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMaMJ View Post
Details:
We are a same sex couple with two young children. Our oldest is a couple years away from Kindergarten. We'd prefer a small to medium city near (within 45-60 mins) Seattle with great schools and lots of activities. We would like to find an in-home daycare for them close by, too. We would most likely rent. Yes, we realize how expensive the Seattle area is, but we would like some feedback on cute cities/towns that might be good for our rainbow family but still affordable. We would consider rural if the community was accepting.

Weather:
And lastly -- are the complaints about the rainy weather really THAT bad? We are casual, jeans & t-shirt kind of folks who can't stand hot humid weather.
Is that 45-60 mins including traffic? Cute cities/towns with great schools and affordable? What is "affordable" to you?

And lastly... The rainy weather is really THAT heavenly for some. It is also THAT hellish for others. Where would you fall in? That depends on you. However, I'm very casual, flip-flops, jeans & t-shirt kind person. Sweater weather for me is less than 40 degrees. Just remember an saying: there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
I don't know why there is no formatting on this article! It is, otherwise, an informative article:

Seattle News and Events | There Goes the Gayborhood

Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times
Olympia is about 60 miles from Seattle and I have read that it is very gay friendly. They have a festival called the Capital City Pride which is a LBGT festival. Its a very liberal city and also the state capital. Population just over 45,000. You might want to check it out.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:12 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
You would be comfortable and welcome anywhere in Seattle and surrounding cities and islands.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 13,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Is that 45-60 mins including traffic? Cute cities/towns with great schools and affordable? What is "affordable" to you?
Affordable to us would be $1300/month rent. Our salaries would provide more with WA's no state income tax.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:43 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
What part of Seattle do you want to get to in 45-60 minutes? It can take that long to get from one neighborhood within the city to another during high traffic times.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Affordable to us would be $1300/month rent.
Hmm... With the great schools requirement, that could prove a bit difficult. It certainly rules out the nicer parts of Seattle itself with the better schools. I'm assuming the 45-60 mins w/o traffic.

I would say at least check into Shoreline/Lake Forest Park (for the Shoreline SD), Bothell (Northshore SD), maybe Maple Valley (Tahoma SD), University Place, Olympia. UP and Olympia would offer more options than the others.

If you're not as strict on the quality of schools (average to very good range): Snohomish, Edmonds, Mukilteo, Mill Creek, Carnation/Duvall. All are smaller, cutesy towns with a nice DT core (except for Mill Creek which is just newer).

Old 05-07-2013, 10:28 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
Quote:
Affordable to us would be $1300/month rent. Our salaries would provide more with WA's no state income tax.
The other taxes will catch you though ... don't count on a big bump in spendable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area