Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 AM

324 posts, read 878,396 times

Advertisements

How do some of you single guys cope with not having an active dating life ??

I have never been to Seattle but I read about the horrible male to female ratios and lack of social skills from women who have endless options of men to choose from.

How do you (21 - 40) aged single guys deal with that ?? Has the Internet overhyped the dismal dating Scene in Seattle ??

Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 AM

118 posts, read 295,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post

...... lack of social skills from women .....
LOL

Seriously??

I guess I'm exhibit (A) if I'm laughing....

Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM

149 posts, read 182,597 times
"I have never been to Seattle but I read about the horrible male to female ratios and lack of social skills from women who have endless options of men to choose from."

The city is full of software engineers. That is why you hear these things.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,780,427 times
I dunno but maybe your dilemma is related to the recent law in Washington allowing gay marriage. Guys give up on women and go for other guys. lol

Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM

507 posts, read 1,670,429 times
I was already married when I got here (and still am), so I never had to deal with this issue...but I have met so many people here who are doing online-dating and have met their partners online. This definitely seems to be the way to go in this part of the world :-)

Old 04-11-2013, 01:17 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,164,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post

I have never been to Seattle but I read about the horrible male to female ratios and lack of social skills from women who have endless options of men to choose from.

How do you (21 - 40) aged single guys deal with that ?? Has the Internet overhyped the dismal dating Scene in Seattle ??
Gee, I'm out of your demographic just a bit. Couple comments, though.

First sentence: dunno, I am single and do actively date. Hmmkay. Men and women: those who want to, do. Those who don't, don't. That's a choice, not a life-sentence.

Second: Bunk. There are well-educated, presentable, 20s-40s single women all over the place here. Dying to meet presentable, non-creepy, traditional-to-progressive, professionally-employed, non-married (single) guys. As with any hunt, a man merely needs to understand (very) clearly where to look, and how to attract interest. With the generally higher education levels in Seattle metro, I personally believe it requires a consummately higher level of 'game' for a guy to successfully attract mates. YMMV, but if they have more options, you'd better be that much better of a prospect.

Third: Of course it (Internet) has. Bunk, yet again. See above.

Know thyself. Where the quarry goes, be there. Study carefully. Adjust approach and take a sales philosophy: 9/10 failures should be celebrated because, hey: you had one success! Huzzah! Lather, rinse, repeat. Really isn't all that hard, but requires sometimes-superhuman patience plus ability to learn/adapt.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,058 times
According to this

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bles/tab05.pdf

there were (in 2000) more single women than single men in the area. But then, it sounds like thousands of techies have since moved in. Hmmm.

Does anyone know for sure what the ratio is in the Seattle area?

Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 PM

324 posts, read 878,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I am single and do actively date.
This is not surprising. You are a woman in a city where men are the majority.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,841,424 times
Seattle women seem very shy and scared of men.. Being a Middle Eastern man who wears a kippa and sports a beard, I suppose I will turn them off.. I also have been clean-shaven for the last 10 years until recently and dress up in leather jacket and Irish-style cap many other times. So, people cannot blame my appearance alone on my observation. Actually, it appears many times I am overdressed by Seattle standards. I don't really understand women in Seattle at all. They seem introverted and conceited, but at the same time seem respectful and polite. I fear if I was to ask them on a date they would freak out and cry sexual harassment or something. It is almost like if you are a man, you are considered "guilty until proven innocent". This is a phobia I have in politically correct liberal cities when it comes to asking women on dates. Also, I fear if I was to date one of them, they would probably ditch me after they found out that I would have to wait to be conjugal until after marriage.

I hate to say this.. But, I have had gay guys show "UNWANTED" interest in me. Yet, I have not had any woman show interest. Another reason I am happier with my beard and kippa now, is it helps keep away the attention of gay men, which I don't want. However, having a moral/religious appearance is probably a major turn-off to the more atheist/anti-religious/fundamentally secular Seattle women.

I actually find that girls in Tacoma are prettier and seem more friendly. However, there is still a culture barrier that makes it hard for me to know how to engage with them.

P.S. I am a male software developer.. I guess I am guilty of contaminating the city with more male geekiness.. Sorry..

Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM

118 posts, read 295,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I fear if I was to ask them on a date they would freak out and cry sexual harassment or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area