Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 AM

182 posts, read 297,618 times

Advertisements

I'm curious because I've seen these two cities compared constantly both nationally and on this forum. I've lived in Mpls and visited Seattle a couple times, gorgeous place. I wouldn't mind living in either one of these places, they're both leagues better than Dallas. Are there any people that have visited or lived in the either place before? Which city do you like best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
What's a Mpls?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
I've been to Mpls twice - once in August (unbearable, humid heat) and once in January (unbearable, biting cold and snow). We get neither of these in Seattle ...

Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Love Minneapolis! Most of my nuclear family moved there from Dallas. It's the only city I would leave Seattle for (obviously, because of family). Cute shops. Lots of small lakes. Nice downtown. Still would prefer Seattle though... we have mountains and (far) less winter.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:20 PM

37 posts, read 106,439 times
I lived in Minneapolis from 1996 to 1998 and I currently live in Seattle (been here for over thirteen years). Aside from the weather, they are similar cities. They are comparable in size. They both have good strong economies generally speaking. Seattle obviously has a more west coast vibe and Minneapolis has a more Midwestern one, which is not a put down as I am from the Midwest originally and I love the Midwest. I think architecturally Minneapolis is nicer. I never got tired of driving or walking through the neighborhoods around Lake Harriet and Lake of the Isles and the other lakes. The homes are drop dead gorgeous in multiple neighborhoods! Seattle has predominantly funky 1970s housing or newer housing with less charm than the 1930 and 1940s architecture of Mpls. I also think Minneapolis has better public transportation and better school systems and better access to universities and colleges. I also think Minneapolis is more affordable and a better deal for middle class people. That being said, Seattle is definitely more ethnically diverse and in my opinion more racially and ethnically tolerant. I also think that Seattle is a dream for people who are looking for a socially liberal environment though i did think Mpls was decent in that category. From what I understand, Seattle is a dream for those who work in the tech field though I do not. Winters were hard in Mpls due to the extreme cold, but winters are hard in Seattle due to the lack of sun. On my iPad so I'm going to end now but I'm happy to discuss further if anyone would like.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:30 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,007 times
man build skyscrapers, businesses, museums, etc but he cannot control the weather, topography, and location (yet).

And that is a huge reason for seattle's price premium over mlps.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 AM

458 posts, read 958,157 times
Seattle has beautiful neighborhoods with many homes built in the early 20th century...my home is in a neighborhood full of Craftsman and Tudors...built between 1915 and 1935....this is a very common period in Seattle. On Queen Anne you may find things a bit older but we certainly are not a city filled with 1970's architecture. My cousin and I both come from back East...she settled in Mnpls and I settled in Seattle...we trade weather stories on FB : ) as you can imagine mine are filled with grey days and hers are filled with endless cold and snow...we plan our warm weather escapes...Interesting thing I have noticed is that Seattle is filled with Minnesotans..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: