Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 PM

17 posts, read 43,819 times

Advertisements

I've noticed when looking at the teacher pay schedule for Seattle Public Schools is much lower than other areas of the country. Even areas with much less distinguished school systems. (Comparing to current location where the entire district was deemed academically unacceptable by the state) anyone have any idea why this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM

118 posts, read 208,849 times
because teachers are hated in washington.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 PM

Why are they hated? I'm not doubting you, just wondering. I've never heard that.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM

118 posts, read 208,849 times
my mom is a public school teacher in washington and most of the resentment is due to them being used as political pawns.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:36 PM

Interesting. Thanks! It's just strange to see the salary so low in comparison.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 PM

102,352 posts, read 108,621,782 times
Faculty pay at the UW is low, too, compared to peer universities. The State legislature doesn't support education.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 PM

May I ask why the legislature doesn't support it? You may or may not know... It's just SO strange. Like I said... Where I'm from our schools/education system stinks, but our teacher salary is higher.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 AM

492 posts, read 1,044,978 times
It may have something to do with having no state income taxes here. Keep in mind that if a teacher can survive to retirement they are effectively millionaires in any state, due to their pensions. (It would take several $million to pay for an annuity that would cover their retirement pay and benefits. This is not to knock teachers in any way--I'd like to see everyone get a pension.) After factoring in the value of the pension a WA state teacher makes well over $100K annually.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:06 PM

Thanks Jalhop! That makes more sense... kind of. haha. I am in Texas where there is no state income tax here either but majority of our districts start in the mid to upper $40 range... even the districts that are deemed "academically unacceptable" by the state. Statistics wise, Texas has some of the dumbest kids, the same stats show Washington areas with mid to upper levels of intelligence nationwide. Something just doesnt add up. ya know? Am I crazy?

Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM

123 posts, read 246,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
It may have something to do with having no state income taxes here. Keep in mind that if a teacher can survive to retirement they are effectively millionaires in any state, due to their pensions. (It would take several $million to pay for an annuity that would cover their retirement pay and benefits. This is not to knock teachers in any way--I'd like to see everyone get a pension.) After factoring in the value of the pension a WA state teacher makes well over $100K annually.
Thanks for bringing this up. My spouse works in the school system here in the Seattle area,
and looks forward to what I feel is a generous pension. Yes, I made more than her in my
position, but not substantially more. I have just a 401K, typical of most workers in the private
sector, but my retirement " benefit" even with an immediate annuity will still only be 1/2 of what
she will receive from the state for life. The contribution in this state from the employees paycheck
is just 6% of gross pay, so its a good deal in my opinion.
Teachers should be paid well, its not an easy job, and currently positions are very hard to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area