Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,035,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Unless they changed it, no one ever asked me for chains in OR. My job HQ is in CA, I drove down there quite few times, including February last year. Chains??
No, Oregon's laws have been that way for decades. In the winter, they have these signs posted in their "snow zones" which there are five on I-5 through the southern part of the state:

This sign will be visible whether there's snow on the road or not.

According to Oregon law, you are required to carry chains with you no matter what the road conditions in their "snow zones" Here is how it is stated:

"You must have chains or traction tires in or on your vehicle and they must be the right size for your vehicle and of sufficient number to comply with the chain laws."

Like I say, some --like you-- can and will sneak through when the roads are clear but you are breaking the law. Nobody is going to pull you over to check to see if you have chains inside your car but if you are stopped for something else and the trooper is in a bad mood that day, he/she can give you a ticket if you can't show them you are carrying chains or have approved snow tires. Getting a ticket is not likely but, again, you are still technically breaking the law.

However, you will be legal if you have snow tires on your vehicle or tires that have the mountain/snowflake symbol on them studded or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: