Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,703 times

Advertisements

A woman in an SUV just hit a parked car and then scraped along side it until she finally turned and drove off, leaving a big dent in this Subaru. I know the streets are crazy narrow here, but is this a common occurrence (like those car prowls)? I stopped and knocked on a handful of doors to try and give the car owner the make, model and plate number, but never found the owner. I was sort of dumbfounded that someone would do that. It wasn't a tap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,118 times
Leave a note on the person's car. It's interesting to see a newcomers perspective and observations. Makes me wonder what I'll notice when I move up there. You've been seeing some odd behavior/stuff up there.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Leave a note on the person's car. It's interesting to see a newcomers perspective and observations. Makes me wonder what I'll notice when I move up there. You've been seeing some odd behavior/stuff up there.
It was raining, or I would have. I called the non-emergency police number but I gave up after 11 minutes on hold and a recording that said I should call back another time.

I hope my observations don't sound negative; to me, they are more perplexing and often humorous. And I know it sounds like I made up the cart guy in the supermarket, but my husband saw it, so I have a witness!

It's a quirky place. So far I love it.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Yep. My sister used to work in the DT area, not too far from where the Seattle PI office was. She had all these dings, scratches and on some occasions, got keyed. And plenty of evidence of drivers not being too good at parallel driving as well. Never once did anyone leave a note or acknowledge the misstep. It was too bad because it was a nice car.

I've been hit while driving in Seattle Center area, made eye contact with the guy and motioned him to pull over-- and he still drove off! My insurance found the guy too, so frickin unbelievable (cops are just useless).

When I was doing Running Start at Bellevue Community College years ago, I remember I pulled in a spot real close to the campus. I was thrilled about it... until the driver next to me starts screaming about me "ramming" into the side of her car. I had no scratches, nothing on my car and somehow this driver concluded that I must've been the one to have done it... all because I was there. I had to point out whoever did this to her car obviously had a red car because you could see the paint flakes (mine was white). She never had a note or anything... but man did that driver scraped off the side of that car. The passenger door was completely concave and parts inside the door were coming off.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yep. My sister used to work in the DT area, not too far from where the Seattle PI office was. She had all these dings, scratches and on some occasions, got keyed. And plenty of evidence of drivers not being too good at parallel driving as well. Never once did anyone leave a note or acknowledge the misstep. It was too bad because it was a nice car.

I've been hit while driving in Seattle Center area, made eye contact with the guy and motioned him to pull over-- and he still drove off! My insurance found the guy too, so frickin unbelievable (cops are just useless).

When I was doing Running Start at Bellevue Community College years ago, I remember I pulled in a spot real close to the campus. I was thrilled about it... until the driver next to me starts screaming about me "ramming" into the side of her car. I had no scratches, nothing on my car and somehow this driver concluded that I must've been the one to have done it... all because I was there. I had to point out whoever did this to her car obviously had a red car because you could see the paint flakes (mine was white). She never had a note or anything... but man did that driver scraped off the side of that car. The passenger door was completely concave and parts inside the door were coming off.
That's horrible! Sounds like what I saw. I mean, it looked like the driver had had a stroke...it was that wonky. But, nope...she just tore off.

And, yeah, the police recording pretty much felt like, "Good luck with that."

Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 PM

OK, this thread might convince me to shed the LR3. For that matter the Genesis too. I've never had any such problems in CA. I'm sure it goes on, but maybe not as common.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
OK, this thread might convince me to shed the LR3. For that matter the Genesis too. I've never had any such problems in CA. I'm sure it goes on, but maybe not as common.
I have an LR3, too. I've been so paranoid with it because of all the stuff I read. I actually left my other car in California, which my husband will use for work when he's there.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,352 times
Sounds like the best thing in the world to drive there might just be a good sturdy military surplus vehicle. Something so that when someone side-swipes it, they get most of the damage, or it stops them in their tracks.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I have an LR3, too. I've been so paranoid with it because of all the stuff I read. I actually left my other car in California, which my husband will use for work when he's there.
Only saving grace is that it's one of the least stolen vehicles in Washington. Not very popular. I suppose a Range Rover would be different. It will be hard to part with the LR3 should I do that. Absolutely love it...sans the mpg :^(

Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Sounds like the best thing in the world to drive there might just be a good sturdy military surplus vehicle. Something so that when someone side-swipes it, they get most of the damage, or it stops them in their tracks.
I would love get an old, beat-to-hell Defender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area