Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 AM

872 posts, read 2,029,605 times

Advertisements

Not I-90, but in the actual town. I have never had a chance to get to drive through there to see it for myself. Is this traffic really bad to drive anywhere but the interstate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
On the island it's only rough during commute time by the Park & Ride near the I90 ramps, or if you get stuck behind a school bus. Otherwise it's a breeze compared to Bellevue and other areas.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:28 AM

872 posts, read 2,029,605 times
Like I mentioned in a couple of other threads, I am taking a position at Boeing inside Seattle (SODO), and I am trying to stay close to Seattle but not in Seattle, because I don't want traffic every time I want to go to the grocery store or go out to eat, etc. I never considered Mercer Island before, because I always thought it would be way too expensive for me. However, I am looking online and figuring out that this is not the case. Only being ~6-7 miles from downtown Seattle is also a HUGE PLUS. I am only looking to spend about $2000 a month on a one bedroom...and apparently I can get some nice rooms on MI.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
On the other hand, you will have to go into either Seattle or Bellevue a lot of things, not much in the way of shopping/entertainment on MI. As far as I know there is a QFC and an Albertsons for groceries, maybe two gas stations and a handful of restaurants.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:18 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Honestly, your best bet for not dealing with a whole lot of traffic coming to Boeing Field/Sodo would be coming from the South, not the north or east. Its not traffic on Mercer Island you should be worried about, its the traffic on the i5 ramp from i90 that's the pain in the butt. If you try to use surface streets, especially during rush-- lots of stop and go traffic.

Traffic on Mercer Island isn't even a big deal; the only real gripe is when someone lives at the very southern tip of MI, it's quite a drive to get off. I can see however the annual Blue Angels visit being annoying though (when all traffic gets stopped in Mercer Island)-- but thats only for a short time for a week or so.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:05 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
If your big issue will be traffic and you think MI will allow you to avoid traffic going to work, boy have you got some research to do!

If you're working near SODO, then most likely you're working in the labs or flight test. If you're in flight test, boy I feel for you. Those guys have odd hours and many work crazy overtime and they also have the highest divorce rates in the company. Things aren't so bad now that the 787 and 747-8 have been certified, but there'll be hell in 2016-2020 when the 737MAX and the 777-X are flight tested.

Anyway, traffic is a bear on I-90 in the morning as you merge onto I-5 south, that can delay you up to 30 minutes. No joke. Now you could play it smart and get off near the stadiums and take Airport way south and save some time that way. I used to do that all the time when I used to live on MI and had to go south for labs or flight test.

Coming home is no joy either. You can take airport way north up to some point south of the stadiums and take 4th ave entrance to I-90, but you'll still hit traffic from folks in both directions of I-5 merging.

And don't count on the HOV "I live on MI so I'm special just like Paul Allen and can take them even though I'm a single occupant" rule forever. Light rail will be coming and wipe those out and the rule out as well, probably around 2016. Even before then there'll be construction, so it'll be a short term benefit that thing will be.

I would suggest West Seattle, and I know a lot of guys who work there live further south, like in Auburn. The city on the south end isn't as "nice" and especially around SODO and the Boeing facilities around there, the neighborhoods are not as aesthetically pleasing (to each their own, I'd love living in or near

Old 09-16-2012, 11:37 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
I am trying to stay close to Seattle but not in Seattle, because I don't want traffic every time I want to go to the grocery store or go out to eat, etc.
Have you ever been to Seattle? - in many neighborhoods, you can walk to grocery stores and walk to restaurants - not possible on Mercer Island. I live in South Seattle and work at the Development Center - 12 minutes each way - surface streets, no traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area