Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 PM

82 posts, read 143,141 times

Advertisements

We have been primarily looking to buy in QA, Phinney, GL, Wallingford, but are interested in a house in Maple Leaf near the reservoir. Money seems to go a bit further up there, and it does have the soon to be park nearby.

We don't know much about the area, however, so curious about the perspective from folks who live there. The two negatives in our book are the added commute times for my wife (works in Burien and is occassionally on-call) and the lack of neighborhood convenience that you find in Fremont where we currently live and the surrounding neighborhoods.

We have two small children so are also wondering about the quality of Sacajawea.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by evda; 08-23-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 AM

82 posts, read 479,309 times
I just moved from Ballard up to Pinehurst -- just north of Maple Leaf. I originally was resisting going much North/East of the "happening" (Ballard/Fremont/Cap Hill) neighborhoods, afraid I was going to be in suburbia. If I could have found a home for the same price, condition and space in Ballard or Wallingford, it likely would have been my first choice. That being said, I've been pleasantly surprised thus far with the charm of the new 'hood. One of the highlights being invited over for a beer by my neighbor that has lived in his home since 1947.

If you are a big foodie, or as you mention, into walkability, you will notice lesser convenience. For a bit more quiet and space, the compromise is having 5 restaurants to chose from instead of 30, and having to go a mile to reach your destination instead of across the street. I do think there is greater convenience to places like Home Depot, the mall/movie theater, and Lake Washington.

As far as Commute goes, I'm finding the convenience to I-5/Lake City Way makes my commute about the same in the morning (15 minutes to downtown), and maybe a bit longer in the afternoon (~20 minutes). It's all about the express lanes, for which you don't have to be a carpooler to use.

For reference I'm 28, male, in a long term relationship. I purchased the home I'm living in, so my perspective may have a bit of bias.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:24 AM

89 posts, read 174,136 times
I'm interested in neighborhood safety and if young families can be found in Maple Leaf?! Thank you! This seems like a great commute to Downtown Seattle for Husband!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,385,577 times
There are young families there, drawn to the area by Olympic View Elementary which is one of the best elementary schools in the city. It's a safe area, especially around the reservoir. Good transportation to downtown - either a short hop on the freeway, or a short bus ride from Northgate. Great access to I-5. There are some good restaurants along Roosevelt along with probably the best hardware store in the city and a great store with educational toys and games. And Cloud City Coffee, a great gathering place and a good place to meet your neighbors.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,099,835 times
It's not bad - last time I was there was 2 weeks ago and there were a lot of young families out on Roosevelt and in the Reservoir park. The "business district" however is still pretty slim, though slightly better than it was a decade ago. I think the main issue is the proximity to Northgate and that Roosevelt is a heavy traffic arterial. For people that want to be close to something similar to Ballard, Maple Leaf doesn't compare.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 AM

89 posts, read 174,136 times
Thank you, I appreciate your input

Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,689,995 times
I didn't think the school was as high performing as Wedgwood, which is why we avoided the area... in hindsight, Sacajawea might have been fine, but I didn't feel like taking that risk. You also need to consider what the elementary feeds into for middle and high school. But I loved the homes near Cloud City Cafe and it has a great neighborly feel to it. The other thing that I didn't like was all the crap on Lake City Way... strip clubs... marijuana... and in the end it was just too close for my middle-aged-mommy tolerance.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Maple Leaf and Pinehurst/Victory Heights are both great neighborhoods! I found Pinehurst very walkable, and close to amenities--a 10-minute walk or less to the grocery store. Maple Leaf isn't so walkable, but the parks/reservoir nearby is very nice, and it's well-served by transit. A great neighborhood for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area