Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 PM

12 posts, read 20,774 times

Advertisements

It seems that there's a lot of pressure to find an apt in and around Seattle, and, I need a reality check, just moving here from the other coast and couch surfing at my brother's now.

Having found the "perfect" apartment, I'm now waiting on the real estate agent (who represents the owner of this apt and rents it out when it becomes available) to get back to me, as to whether I got the apt or not.

There were many others looking at this place, we all got an application via email,
- at the end of the open house, the real estate person said that she would look over the aps, make a decision that night and send out an email to all of us- that was 2 days ago.

Not that I want to keep on pestering her, but, I need some advice, and, now , I'm leery about filling out other applications, and getting another credit check, until I hear back from her.
Any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,144,043 times
Golly Gee!!! I didn't realize there was such a scramble with several other applicants, just to get an apartment!!! Usually that's what happens with home buyers, but just to rent an apartment???? This is too much!!!!
Seems to me, if this is the case, then your at the mercy of the rental agent. This is what happens when everybody on earth wants to crowd into a small city. I would suggest you find a different city where the competion isn't so great just to find a place to live.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Golly Gee!!! I didn't realize there was such a scramble with several other applicants, just to get an apartment!!! Usually that's what happens with home buyers, but just to rent an apartment???? This is too much!!!!
Seems to me, if this is the case, then your at the mercy of the rental agent. This is what happens when everybody on earth wants to crowd into a small city. I would suggest you find a different city where the competion isn't so great just to find a place to live.
Thanks for your response, though the sarcasm is a bit much before my coffee this morning! I would have expected so much from my croneys back in Brooklyn! Ha, ha !

Since I'm already here in Seattle, secured a good job, I started looking for an apt and merely wrote of my experience where there is a perfect apartment in a perfect building in a perfect part of town at a perfect price- yes, too good to be true, right ?
My dilemna (and maybe I wasn't so clear in my first post):
Having filled out an application, I'm hesitant to fill out others before hearing back from this agent, where another credit check would probably lead to a lower credit score, ect. ect.
Has anyone else had the experience of waiting ? (I wouldn't be asking if I knew and I thought this forum was for those type of questions ?)
Hopefully, I'll get some sound advice?
Thank you.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM

21,992 posts, read 15,794,453 times
If it's the perfect everything and you think there's still a chance, it might be worth it to wait. When you said it was a couple of days after they said they would call, it looked like they were stringing you along. I've heard stories of rentals where they gathered so many apps and application fees, it sounded like a cottage industry. With rentals being a challenge to find, you're lucky you can stay with family while you find the right place.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,433,660 times
Go ahead and pester the real estate agent who promised they'd be letting everyone by now. What's the worst that can happen? That they're offended by your forwardness and now will "give" the apartment to someone else? Nah. Most likely, they'll tell you that the computer was down and they're still working on it, or " We've rented the place to someone else and we were about to send you an email." You've got nothing to lose.
There are a fair amount of lazy and incompetent real estate agents out there. Call 'em. Make them do their job.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:35 AM

Thank you for your posts- they really help,
I was concerned about collecting info on everyone and making a bunch of cash- no request was made to give $ for a credit check- this agent works for herself.
I've sent out one email to the agent yesterday, indicating a request as to her decision on the apt, one way or another, so I can move forward. The response I got was " I will know this afternoon. Sorry for the wait".
So, I'll wait until noon and call her directly
Thanks again.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM

100 posts, read 243,358 times
It's against the law for someone to process two applications that are approval material and pocket the app fee for both. In reality, the law states "First come, First served". If she says she processed your application and gave the place to another person, because they had a higher credit score or income, etc, yet you're still qualified, you can most likely sue her if she doesn't return your app fee. This would prevent such scams as you were talking about, where a landlord can pool a bunch of application fees and take the money and run. Call up a property management place that is willing to talk to you for a few minutes and ask them that question, some may give you a better answer, but I am reciting what a few of them told me.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:57 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,798,462 times
We had someone who pulled that on us. That's how the market is right now. Competition for decent places is super-tight. I have impeccable credit and an excellent rental history and even we had trouble finding a place last time. One place actually conducted interviews on why we felt we'd be the best tenants. It definitely left a wierd flavor in my mouth. By the time we were done - I was 100% sure I didn't want to rent from them, so I guess in that way it was a successful interview.

Good luck finding a place!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 3,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMeetsWest7 View Post
It's against the law for someone to process two applications that are approval material and pocket the app fee for both. In reality, the law states "First come, First served". If she says she processed your application and gave the place to another person, because they had a higher credit score or income, etc, yet you're still qualified, you can most likely sue her if she doesn't return your app fee. This would prevent such scams as you were talking about, where a landlord can pool a bunch of application fees and take the money and run. Call up a property management place that is willing to talk to you for a few minutes and ask them that question, some may give you a better answer, but I am reciting what a few of them told me.
I'm not sure how accurate this is. The rental house market is crazy in Seattle, there was one house we submitted an application for that had 6 other applications pending. We paid the fee (all $80!) and in the end did not get the house (it was offered to someone else).

Old 08-23-2012, 02:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies and support-
I have a feeling that I'll end up on some busy street, lots of traffic noise, ect. or in a high rise;- however, I'm starting to think (with the markets so tight for renters) that if I don't like where I move to, then 6 months into my lease, I would have to start looking for another perfect apartment. I met 2 people today who were also filling applications for apts- one had been looking for a month,- the other for 4 months.
That's the way the ball bounces, I guess !
No answer from the agent on the "perfect place", btw, so, I"m officially moving on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area