Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 PM

968 posts, read 2,063,696 times

Advertisements

Having visited Minnepolis many a time (wife is from St. Louis Park), here is my breakdown of the weather. We rarely get temps where it doesnt go above freezing for five months or that we have 90+ degrees with 90% humidity for three months. In Minneapolis, the weather is intolerable for eight months but wonderful for four months. In Seattle, the weather is tolerable but not great for eight months, and wonderful for three months. But as many people have previously mentioned, it is per preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:39 AM

19 posts, read 44,086 times
GHOSTREADER: I'm assuming you're from or living in CA? Why is it the best state?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,925,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts&GLori View Post
GHOSTREADER: I'm assuming you're from or living in CA? Why is it the best state?
Are you actually expecting a coherent answer? (Check his/her other postings)

Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 AM

Thanks PollyGlott (: I assumed that most people wouldn't waster their - or anyone else's - time writing unintelligible things. I see differently...

Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Several people have asked me why my husband and I don't consider Portland, OR. Isn't the weather, overall, comparable to Seattle's? Again, I've only visited in the "good" months and can't make an accurate generalization. We've always leaned towards Seattle (in part, but only one part of MANY, because of it's strong economy in the (bio)medical industry). Almost everything about Seattle is appealing, except it's grey weather ... which I'm having a really hard time deciding if I can manage. Where's my magic wand (: ?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM

156 posts, read 303,662 times
Personally between Portland and Seattle I think you'd like Seattle more overall. The weather isn't a big enough difference based on the other qualities you are looking for...just my opinion. Then again...OR might have what you are looking for and it's got a beautiful coast and is close to some warm areas and still has mountains.

However, the question of weather in general is a big deal if it's something that will bother you. Do you HATE winter/summer in MN. Will you be dealing with finding school districts for kids. Are you giving up a lot to make the move (loss of money on home depreciation, dream home, or equity in a home you really love).

If you don't have to worry about buying an affordable home and in a good school district, and you're not giving up something of great value, then I would say it's worth the risk to find out. You can always move back.

In interest of full disclosure I am on this forum because the last 3 years have me seriously feeling crazy. The weather has been really bad because I do enjoy sun and summer. I don't want AZ or TX heat and continuous sun because I do like 4 seasons. But at this point it's like...is a WI winter that bad that I would hate it more than spending 9-11 months waiting for sun and good weather. I just don't know but I'm really ready for a change. So if waking up to blue skies in more of a balanced setting makes you happy and motivated and you don't hate the hot summers or cold winters because there are activities you enjoy...you might really struggle out here.

Good luck...it's such a hard decision to make...it's such a trade-off but I guess finding which trade-offs are the important ones determines the level of happiness.

*I am clearly affected by weather more than most people I know. So take my perception from that viewpoint

Old 06-28-2012, 01:33 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,483,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Having visited Minnepolis many a time (wife is from St. Louis Park), here is my breakdown of the weather. We rarely get temps where it doesnt go above freezing for five months or that we have 90+ degrees with 90% humidity for three months. In Minneapolis, the weather is intolerable for eight months but wonderful for four months. In Seattle, the weather is tolerable but not great for eight months, and wonderful for three months. But as many people have previously mentioned, it is per preference.
I don't visit Mpls, I live there. While we are doing 90's, Seattle is doing 60's. Any guesses which of those numbers appeal to me most? I'd be there now, but the question is how to travel after a particularly BAD episode with trains. And I know from recent experience that buses are worse. So it is either drive myself or fly.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:45 PM

136 posts, read 328,902 times
To the OP - I'm from Texas, and I love it here. However, I would say that if you know your "moods" are influenced heavily by the sun, or lack thereof, then I would proceed with caution. Most people's attitudes are impacted by the weather and the light/dark... but the fact that you are "in-touch" with the relationship between the two speaks volumes to me.

I live in Snoqualmie, and the weather can vary greatly depending on what area you are in. For example, quite often, it will be either raining, or sunny here in the Snoqualmie Valley - yet be the complete opposite when you come out of the foothills into Issaquah & Bellevue. Several times this past early spring, it was bright and sunny one minute, then raining or "hailing" the next (more like snow pellets). There is definitely much more "variation" to the weather here than what I'm used to... and that's a good thing.

Yes... it's obviously more gloomy in the winter... but not nearly as much as the rest of the country thinks/assumes. While we did have a heavy snow and bad ice storm this past winter, there were MANY sunny days as well - but the cloudy days do rule. Rather than the weather, for me the biggest adjustment is the darkness. It DOES take getting used to the fact that it's getting dark around 3:30 - 4pm, and isn't fully daylight until 9-10 am. Now THAT can be a bit depressing. But... I'm still not going back to Texas.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 AM

7 posts, read 14,382 times
I'm in Oakland (SF Bay Area) and I'm trying to convince my husband to move to Seattle area. We want a tech scene because that's what pays our bills, but I'm tired of everything else that goes with Silicon Valley. We've visited Seattle a couple of times and unlike most people who complain about the weather, Seattle (and Portland, for that matter) have for me what is perfect weather. I'm just weird like that, I guess.

If you are considering the Bay Area, based on your description, the two places I would say you should look at living are Marin and Berkeley. Otherwise, I don't think you'll be happy.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,539,238 times
Guts&Glori, I grew up 4 hours south of the Twin Cities and I have also lived in Denver and Austin. I much prefer the climate here to the Midwest hands down. I'll take it any day over brutally cold winters and hot, humid summers. Plus, mosquitoes are almost nil here. Portland is a neat city BUT there is much less water to view. For someone from the Land of 10,000 Lakes, that might make a difference. You will also love the topography here. It's not flat and it's lush and green. You can ski and be on the water in the same weekend. We just spent the weekend out on the Sound boat camping and it was heavenly. So much to do here...especially you are the outdoorsy type. I say Minneapolis to Seattle would be an easy transition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area