Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 PM

10 posts, read 11,628 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I've searched and searched and can't find what I need to know! Please help. My husband is accepting a position in Bellevue (making about 80k), and I would like help with the following, please and thank you!

1. Neighborhoods, Cities? We are okay with a commute (less than an hour), I stay home with our baby girl, but would like to be close if at all possible. We have 2 dogs (boxer, and lab.) and need a place with a backyard for them. Is this going to be too difficult? Also, I refuse to look in South Sound!

2. Townhouse vs. House? We would like to rent for the first year or so, since we are moving from out of state (Arizona). Would it be more beneficial to live in a townhouse vs. a house for that short time. In Arizona, you can have a VERY nice, upgraded place for dirt cheap. I understand this is not the case in Seattle, and we are willing to compromise, but I refuse to live in a dump. An apartment isn't an option with our dogs.

3. Crime? I need it to be a safe, walkable city with my little one!

We are so excited to get out of the ugly, bearen desert, and up to beautiful Seattle! We've visited several times, and lived there prior, so I know what to expect on the overall area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by ajones1026; 05-11-2012 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,051,215 times
I am not a big Bellevue fan - I would usually steer to south of Seattle(there are those on this forum who would call me a heretic for suggesting such a notion!) or to the city of culture (I mean Seattle!). But - why not Bellevue? Have you heard terrible things about this place, can you not afford to live there, are you opposed to driving around a lake or across a floating bridge to get to a real city? Bellevue is fine as a bedroom town - I wouldn't look further if your husbands work is located anywhere near the Eastside.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:33 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,892,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones1026 View Post
Also, I refuse to look in South Sound!
I honestly don't understand this particular portion. I highly doubt anyone's going to recommend Tacoma-Olympia area... even though they're really not that bad a place to live in. Or... are you thinking of Renton and southward? Which is too bad because you just limited yourself greatly and these are areas that are more likely to accept the dogs too. The dogs, given that they're big... are definitely going to be a hurdle... do prepare for the possibility of paying a lot for them (deposits and/or pet rent) when you do find that place.

You haven't inform us your budget range... and there's been many threads that talk about cities/neighborhoods commutable to Bellevue-- if they haven't answered your questions, what exactly are you looking for answered?

Old 06-03-2012, 06:16 PM

172 posts, read 442,496 times
North of Seattle is nice. You can find homes with decent yards still less than an hour of Seattle. Mountlake Terrace, Everett, Marysville and Edmonds. The city of Seattle is really nice just north of downtown Wallingford district, Green Lake, Fremont, Ballard are all great areas with lower crime.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:12 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,592,334 times
Anyone who tells you that, having a job in Bellevue, you shouldn't live on the east side, is completely out of their gourd. Do you WANT a 90 minute commute each day? If you work in Bellevue and you have children, then you stay on the east side. That's how it works. It's a nicer part of the area, the schools are better, your commute will be infinitely more tolerable, and Bellevue itself has everything that Seattle has for the most part - and is a 15 minute drive on a good day should you decide to go into downtown Seattle. The larger issue here is the 80K. You won't be too comfortable on 80k in Bellevue itself, unless you live in the older part of town. It is, as Rick Steves puts it, an epicenter of wealth. You might have to look a bit north to a place like Kirkland or Bothell, or a bit south to a place like the Renton highlands or Kennydale. Maybe even a little further east into Issaquah. As to crime....there basically is none.

But by all means, go live in Everett and enjoy a 2 hour commute on a bad day, or live south Seattle area and enjoy a similarly hellish drive every day as you go through the Renton S-curves and the 405/90 interchange getting into Bellevue or within Seattle itself as you experience the joys of being taxed 2,000 a year just to go to work.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,468,202 times
Quote:
Hello all!

I've searched and searched and can't find what I need to know! Please help. My husband is accepting a position in Bellevue (making about 80k), and I would like help with the following, please and thank you!

1. Neighborhoods, Cities? We are okay with a commute (less than an hour), I stay home with our baby girl, but would like to be close if at all possible. We have 2 dogs (boxer, and lab.) and need a place with a backyard for them. Is this going to be too difficult? Also, I refuse to look in South Sound!

2. Townhouse vs. House? We would like to rent for the first year or so, since we are moving from out of state (Arizona). Would it be more beneficial to live in a townhouse vs. a house for that short time. In Arizona, you can have a VERY nice, upgraded place for dirt cheap. I understand this is not the case in Seattle, and we are willing to compromise, but I refuse to live in a dump. An apartment isn't an option with our dogs.

3. Crime? I need it to be a safe, walkable city with my little one!

We are so excited to get out of the ugly, bearen desert, and up to beautiful Seattle! We've visited several times, and lived there prior, so I know what to expect on the overall area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

There are several east side towns (Bellevue area) to pick. While I love Seattle, commuting there can be a nightmare. The first nightmare is the recently "expensive" tolled 520 bridge which no longer has traffic since many avoid it but you will pay dearly. I just received a notice they are increasing the rates and I'm sure that won't be the first time they will have an increase to help pay for the new 520 bridge schedule to open in 2015. The other bridge into Seattle has no tolls but jammed with traffic since everyone is avoiding the toll bridge. Another positive living on the east side is the school system. The east side has the best school system in Washington state where as Seattle's schools have a select few good ones in specific areas. Here are a few cities for you to investigate.
Kirkland
Issaquah
Redmond
Woodinville
Sammamish
Bothell
You had mentioned about renting first, here is a website you can browse for rentals. http://www.apartmentguide.com/
Many people have raved about Sammamish. I personally like Issaquah so it will just depend on what area feels right for you needs. Taking a ride through these ares will help you decide. Obviously the farther you are from Bellevue, the cheaper it's going to be. BTW.... the above cities I mentioned are extremely safe and very family friendly oriented. Like I said before, as far as schools are concerned for your daughter, you can't go wrong. School systems are definitely something you need to consider when you rent or purchase a home. Hope this helped a bit.
Good luck!

Old 06-03-2012, 08:50 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,567,967 times
Quote:
I need to know!
would like to be close
I refuse to look in South Sound!
We would like to rent
I refuse to live in a dump
An apartment isn't an option with our dogs.
I need it to be a safe, walkable city with my little one!
I know what to expect on the overall area.
Yeah, you and everybody else.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
The nicest, safest areas are the most expensive, renting a home with yard with a reasonable commute is going to be $2,500-$3,000/month.
The eastside is popular with skilled workers and management from the
better paying local employers such as Microsoft, Boeing and Amazon. The $80,000 salary sounds good to many but around here to live in a place like you described you will have to be frugal. The 2009 median family incomes below will give you an idea. They have likely gone up since.

Sammamish - $125,000
Bellevue $115,000
Issaquah - $95,000
Mercer Island - $152,000
Kirkland - $85,000
Redmond - 100,000

Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 PM

40 posts, read 61,973 times
Bellevue is a city within itself. Lots of shopping, medical access, boating, etc. Great place for walking most anywhere you would need to go. This should be your first choice!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 AM

14 posts, read 24,346 times
I'd recommend heading out I-90. North Bend is 30 minutes east, and it isn't a bad commute into Bellevue.
You can also head down Hwy 18 to Maple Valley. Also not a bad commute, and there are alternative routes should traffic snarl up on your main one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area