Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,573,506 times

Advertisements

Wasting tax payer money on this garbage is one thing (they bought 35 of them) but they have to rub it in your face too. Instead of city employees going out for lunch in the latest and greatest eco mobile, can you think of a better way the city of Seattle could have spent $1,000,000?

And just for fun, Snohomish county doesn't seem to have any problem using a 17 year old beat to hell neon.

Last edited by evergraystate; 05-02-2012 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM

617 posts, read 1,207,130 times
It's....... uuuuuhhhhhh ........uuuuuuuuhhhhhhh ...a way to get people to support .......um the green economy.......and ...um get our city more ...um Eco-friendly. And deficits don't matter at a city, state, or federal level. That's what "those guys" told me.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 AM

615 posts, read 1,527,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
It's....... uuuuuhhhhhh ........uuuuuuuuhhhhhhh ...a way to get people to support .......um the green economy.......and ...um get our city more ...um Eco-friendly. And deficits don't matter at a city, state, or federal level. That's what "those guys" told me.
Checking in now, so I can read the thread later when all of the eco-nuts log on.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,566,942 times
If these vehicles are expected to see lots of years and lots of miles, it is likely that the lower operating cost of the Leafs (leaves?) are a sound decision, economically, especially if the fleet needed replacement or expansion anyway.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 AM

21,992 posts, read 15,785,316 times
I have no opinion about the cars, maybe they are more economical to run and maintain, who knows. But it's always kind of funny to see someone that's come here from say...San Antonio, to enjoy the natural beauty of the area, only to diss those that care to preserve the beauty of the area.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,664,773 times
Obvious troll being obvious.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 AM

615 posts, read 1,527,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I have no opinion about the cars, maybe they are more economical to run and maintain, who knows. But it's always kind of funny to see someone that's come here from say...San Antonio, to enjoy the natural beauty of the area, only to diss those that care to preserve the beauty of the area.
Well, it's just like using the term "right-winger" or "leftist". There are people who are eco crazy on this board. I care about preserving the beauty of the area, just as anyone else who's born and raised here. By the way, I was born in Tacoma and lived for many years in Gig Harbor... but thanks for the San Antonio assumption.

Do we have long term data to determine what the operating cost and longevity is, for electric-only vehicles? I don't think we do. Investing large sums of money, on an unproven concept is just bad judgement and a gamble with tax payer dollars.

I'd rather an eco-friendly hybrid vehicle, where we have long term data from. The data actually shows that you need to own the vehicle for 5+ years before you even see ANY benefit (on average) from the vehicle, considering the higher cost of ownership upfront.

While production of electricity isn't as bad as burning fossil fuels, it also destroys our environment, so please don't preach to me about how electric-only vehicles are "good" for us.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Well, it's just like using the term "right-winger" or "leftist". There are people who are eco crazy on this board. I care about preserving the beauty of the area, just as anyone else who's born and raised here. By the way, I was born in Tacoma and lived for many years in Gig Harbor... but thanks for the San Antonio assumption.

Do we have long term data to determine what the operating cost and longevity is, for electric-only vehicles? I don't think we do. Investing large sums of money, on an unproven concept is just bad judgement and a gamble with tax payer dollars.

I'd rather an eco-friendly hybrid vehicle, where we have long term data from. The data actually shows that you need to own the vehicle for 5+ years before you even see ANY benefit (on average) from the vehicle, considering the higher cost of ownership upfront.

While production of electricity isn't as bad as burning fossil fuels, it also destroys our environment, so please don't preach to me about how electric-only vehicles are "good" for us.
San Antonio assumption? You came here from San Antonio. You also bragged about your Camaro and how much you enjoy speeding past hybrids so we know you're "pro gas".

It's not important other than your eco-nuts comment. All you need to do is look at coast lines that have not been taken care of to appreciate how important it is to take care of ours. Take a look at your property values twenty years from now if we take care of our pristine beauty when other cities choose not to.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 AM

507 posts, read 1,673,308 times
Electric car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can read in this article electric vehicles have been around since the 19th century, you could hardly call it an 'unproven concept'. It's only now that gas prices are shooting up that people (and organizations) see them as a sound investment.

My guess would be the vehicles in the fleet were due for replacement anyway, in which case it obviously makes sense to go for the green solution instead of spending the same amount of money on a fleet of gas guzzlers.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Checking in now, so I can read the thread later when all of the eco-nuts log on.
Your post is gone but my response was based on this. Hey, Seattle likes electric cars and maybe they are cheaper to maintain, easier to budget for since gas prices change and easier on the environment.

But no disrespect to PUD with their Neons, I'm a fan of PUD. They are the "Little Utility That Could". They exposed Enron by going through all those recorded calls and discovering what Enron did to California. Little Snohomish PUD did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area